DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-05-2011, 06:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 360
Trim Level: slt
Color: blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
accordlxrj is on a distinguished road
Default PLEASE HELP ME!!! Weird issue stalling

Ok I have never been so pissed! I purchased this truck (2003 1500 4x4 5.9 360) in 2005. Since i purchased it i have had so many issues, typical misfire problems, 3 water pumps, gone through tons of brake rotors/pads, new tranny, the list goes on and on.
I just got the truck back from my ex after 2 years and it ran horrible, got horrible gas milage and lots of other problems..
The first thing i did was change plugs, wires, cap and rotor, new air filter, changed oil and coolant and a new serp belt with idler and tensioner pullys. It still got horrible gas milage and still ran kinda rough but was much better.
This past week i ordered a plenum repair kit from Hughes cause there was pools of oil in the intake. This weekend i changed the plenum and gasket and intake gaskets. Everything went fine except the injectors are a bitch to get out... it took me about 6 hours to do everything and when i was finished i turned the key and it fired right up. It seemed to have a abnormal idle but after giving it some gas it seemed ok.
I drove it all day sat and all day sunday with no issues at all. I put about 300 miles on it in those 2 days with no problems.
I went out monday started it up and drove to the gas station about 3 miles away. I put gas in it and here is the start of my issues...
I turned the key and it fired up but died 4 times.
I started it up and kept on the gas and as long as i was giving it throttle it would stay running but if i let go, coming down from rev it would die.
I would fire up easily every time i turn the key but died unless i was giving it gas.
I stayed in the gas and just threw it into drive to try to get it home and everytime i let off the gas it would die.
Half way home it was fine..
I pulled into my drive way and put it in park and it sat and ran fine. I gave it a good rev and it died.
Now it will start and run everytime i turn the key and idles fine but if i give it throttle it will rev up fine but when i let off the gas it will either drop to about 400 rpm and stumble then go back to regular idle or it will die.
I checked all my vac lines and everything seems ok and i tried letting it idle and spraying carb cleaner all around the engine to see if i can find a vac leak but nothing...
No check engine light..
I cycled the key and the milage just says done 2 times and the check engine light will sit solid for a couple seconds, blink 12 times and stay solid again.
I am lost!!! If someone could point me in the right direction that would be fantastic!!
Sponsored links
Old 07-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordlxrj View Post
Ok I have never been so pissed! I purchased this truck (2003 1500 4x4 5.9 360) in 2005. Since i purchased it i have had so many issues, typical misfire problems, 3 water pumps, gone through tons of brake rotors/pads, new tranny, the list goes on and on.
I just got the truck back from my ex after 2 years and it ran horrible, got horrible gas milage and lots of other problems..
The first thing i did was change plugs, wires, cap and rotor, new air filter, changed oil and coolant and a new serp belt with idler and tensioner pullys. It still got horrible gas milage and still ran kinda rough but was much better.
This past week i ordered a plenum repair kit from Hughes cause there was pools of oil in the intake. This weekend i changed the plenum and gasket and intake gaskets. Everything went fine except the injectors are a bitch to get out... it took me about 6 hours to do everything and when i was finished i turned the key and it fired right up. It seemed to have a abnormal idle but after giving it some gas it seemed ok.
I drove it all day sat and all day sunday with no issues at all. I put about 300 miles on it in those 2 days with no problems.
I went out monday started it up and drove to the gas station about 3 miles away. I put gas in it and here is the start of my issues...
I turned the key and it fired up but died 4 times.
I started it up and kept on the gas and as long as i was giving it throttle it would stay running but if i let go, coming down from rev it would die.
I would fire up easily every time i turn the key but died unless i was giving it gas.
I stayed in the gas and just threw it into drive to try to get it home and everytime i let off the gas it would die.
Half way home it was fine..
I pulled into my drive way and put it in park and it sat and ran fine. I gave it a good rev and it died.
Now it will start and run everytime i turn the key and idles fine but if i give it throttle it will rev up fine but when i let off the gas it will either drop to about 400 rpm and stumble then go back to regular idle or it will die.
I checked all my vac lines and everything seems ok and i tried letting it idle and spraying carb cleaner all around the engine to see if i can find a vac leak but nothing...
No check engine light..
I cycled the key and the milage just says done 2 times and the check engine light will sit solid for a couple seconds, blink 12 times and stay solid again.
I am lost!!! If someone could point me in the right direction that would be fantastic!!

Ok I am not going to tell you how to fix it because I could write a book if I did that. I would say if you lived in florida and drove it to my house I can fix it for free as long as you paid for the parts and liquids (oil etc..) Thats all but what I will say is be sure you torque everything the specification because when you don't you either break something or you leave something to loose and it fails over and over again.

So invest in some torque wrenches first, harbor freight has them for cheap and it's a tool every person should have that works on his or her own car truck whatever.

Thats really all I have to say for now. But like I said damn shame you don't live in florida cause I would fix it for free, I do that kind of stuff for people. Labor is free I just give you a list of parts it needs and send you on your way to get them then I get to work.

If you really wanted to fix this truck you can start by doing a valve job on the heads and replacing all the gaskets (head, timing, etc...)

Oh as for the water pump, try to stay away from ones that are made of aluminum they are crappy, if you can only get aluminum then I'm sorry.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Gun metal
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
dodgemagnum5.9 is on a distinguished road

sounds like the idle air control valve. On most cars you can remove it an clean the carbon out and it should be fine.