DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking out loud -
Check the ground connections, especially at/near the TIPM
Check all the multipin connectors that plug into the TIPM for loose/floating pins, corrosion, bent pins, etc.
Check the wiring harnesses near the TIPM for signs of physical (mechanical) damage.

This is sounding like either of -
a) poor ground connection (emphasis on TIPM ground)
b) Can C bus problem (Open or shorted).

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 07-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:12
11Ram06Daytona is on a distinguished road

I would agree with it sounding like a grounding problem with the amount if systems having issues. I am not familiar with how these trucks are wired, but GM uses shorting strips on the datalink wires. (im going back a few years so it might have changed) I would bet that our trucks have a similar setup.

By the end of August: Recon Smoked Headlights & Roof Markers, 8K HID, 6" Fabtech Long Arm, Amp Research Steps, Fuel - Gauge 20" Wheels, Bakflip cover, H&S MaxxMini, MBRB Exhaust, 2 10" L7's 1500.1 Kicker amp.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
CallMeClay is on a distinguished road

Ill tell my brother to check some of this stuff. Its frustrating im not there to look at this all myself. I posted about the Mygig on a fourm thats dedicated to them and it looks like it dead Might have to just buy one
Old 07-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Just some guy in Canada

brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

It's a possibility, but I wouldn't rush in getting a replacement until the TIPM issue is solved. I've learned over the years to fix the computer issues first, then see if anything else needs repair. Often a TIPM/computer issue will create 'phantom' issues.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 07-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
It's a possibility, but I wouldn't rush in getting a replacement until the TIPM issue is solved. I've learned over the years to fix the computer issues first, then see if anything else needs repair. Often a TIPM/computer issue will create 'phantom' issues.
Good point Brad, maybe its something with in the TIPM causing it to screw up. I should be home Wed. so hopefully I can look at her soon and take her down to the dealership.

Since they have already replaced the TIPM once should I tell them to check the connecting harnesses as well on the bottom? Is there a way for them to check them and make sure they are doing what they are supposed to be doing?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Yes and No.

Being a computer and tied in with more computers, allows them to run some pretty decent diagnostics, but if a final driver is bad, there is not way to determine if the final output is there or not. This is where the tech comes in. He can get the diagnostics info that tells him the output is on and working, and he can then check with a meter to verify that it actually exists.
It was easy to make that sound easy, however sometimes this can be a rather laborious task.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue pearl coat/Light Graystone Pearl
Rep:13
gysnst2 is on a distinguished road

My TIPM was replaced on my last 2011 they said it was defective and it was backordered for anwhile. It was not sending power to my AC compressor. Call Chrysler they should replace it for free. They know it has problems.
AVS bug guard, Mopar rubber mud flaps, Mopar vent visers, Snugtop cap, Remote tailgate lock, 392 LS, VHT tail lights, 9" LCD headrests, Debaged sides, tinted 20% front 35% rear, cabin air filter mod, topguncostumz 2,25 rear lift coils, bilstein 5100 set at 2.8, and bilstein 5100 rear shocks
Old 07-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

thanks for the reply gynst2. Hate to hear that anyone else has had a problem with their TIPM. Im assuming all is well now?

I finally got back in town but had my brother take it up for me last monday....its still there. I told them to check the harnesses on the bottom of the TIPM and check the radio since it just stopped working. They found a bad connection with one of the harnesses and took full blame for the radio messing up (?) so they arent charging me for any of it and they are covering my rental for a week. Im hoping this is the last problem I have with the TIPM, nothing worse than Texas heat and no A/C!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Capt 0verkill is on a distinguished road
Default My TIPM Problems

I bought my 2007 Ram July 5th. Around mid August my Serv 4WD Light came on while I was driving down the highway. I was only a mile from my destination, so when I stopped I re-started and light did not come back on. A week later came on 3 times in one day and it is not a Service Interval Light.

Took it to the Dealership and They had my truck for 3 days diagnosing the problem. According to the dealer the tech was working with an Engineer on my Serv 4WD indicator and other problems??? According to the dealer's service rep the engineer wanted to do exhaustive testing before he would say it was TIPM. The Service Mgr pretty much told me the first day that the tech was certain it would be the TIPM. Also, my Transfer Case Actuator does need replaced.

So next week I have to take my truck back because an Engineer/Inspector will be onsite and wants to look it over and go over the results. Oh and the parts are on back order.

Just happy it is covered under my extended warranty!!!

Last edited by Capt 0verkill; 09-03-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Just some guy in Canada

I'm guessing the transfer case actuator was the cause of the 'Service 4wd' light, and the 'other problems' are the result of them finding some pending codes that they found while scanning it. It sounds to me like you may have a good dealer. Often they will just clear the codes and send you on your way, so if this is the case with yours, I give koodo's to the service department.