DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
They are ntk brand.
Do you mean NGK? From my experience they are not a bad brand. I just know alot of aftermarket o2 sensors are bosch and they have given me and others issues. Changing the differential fluid is very easy, the bolts will almost certainly not give you any trouble. Just drop a pan under the diff, coap each bolt with wd40, wait 10 minutes then crack each bolt loose. Soak again with wd40 wait a few minutes then take them all off, pry the cover loose with a big screwdriver and once off clean the cover really good, especially the gasket surface. You can prep and paint the outside of the cover if you want, I usually do with that undercoating spray can stuff it makes it look decent. I wash out the inside of the carrier with wd40 a little to clean it then just reassamble and put some fluid in it. Really easy job, if you are capable of changing oil you should be fine, if you have ever changed a transmission pan gasket, this will be easier. Just another thought, with your mileage, your clutch fan may be worn out, it might be wise to check the condition of the clutch fan, or just see if you can replace the clutch with a new one. If the clutch is bad it will lock the fan causing alot more drag when not needed (like on the highway).. sounds to me like your city mileage is about right but your hwy mileage is lacking, this could be why. clutch fans do wear out and this will cause a drop in mpg. This would be a very easy fix too.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:44
The Codes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Do you mean NGK? From my experience they are not a bad brand. I just know alot of aftermarket o2 sensors are bosch and they have given me and others issues. Changing the differential fluid is very easy, the bolts will almost certainly not give you any trouble. Just drop a pan under the diff, coap each bolt with wd40, wait 10 minutes then crack each bolt loose. Soak again with wd40 wait a few minutes then take them all off, pry the cover loose with a big screwdriver and once off clean the cover really good, especially the gasket surface. You can prep and paint the outside of the cover if you want, I usually do with that undercoating spray can stuff it makes it look decent. I wash out the inside of the carrier with wd40 a little to clean it then just reassamble and put some fluid in it. Really easy job, if you are capable of changing oil you should be fine, if you have ever changed a transmission pan gasket, this will be easier. Just another thought, with your mileage, your clutch fan may be worn out, it might be wise to check the condition of the clutch fan, or just see if you can replace the clutch with a new one. If the clutch is bad it will lock the fan causing alot more drag when not needed (like on the highway).. sounds to me like your city mileage is about right but your hwy mileage is lacking, this could be why. clutch fans do wear out and this will cause a drop in mpg. This would be a very easy fix too.
No the box says NTK, but I believe they are made my NGK. They are on the same webpage, idk why they would change the middle letter from sparkplugs to o2 sensors but anyways. Well thats encouraging, when I get some free time I will try to get under my truck and change that def oil. I would prob find this out when I got under there, at the moment I am not sure though and mind as well ask, do I change only the rear or both axles? The truck is 2wd. And what weight do you recommend? I think 75-90 is what I have heard? I will have to check the clutch fan..I was hoping to just do away with the whole clutch set up and to replace my timing chain with a double roller and put a 16 inch efan. Prob will follow the efan model from the episode of extreme 4x4. Thanks for all the great info man
Old 07-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

hmm that's strange, yeah never heard of NTK. If you are 2wd you won't have a front differential, so just the rear to worry about. I would make sure you have everything before cracking the cover off. You should be able to find what fluid you need in an owners manual, and how much you need, then just write that down and buy it at autozone. They should be able to tell you at the store also, but I don't like relying on them they are wrong often enough. You could get synthetic but it doesn't really matter, I'd just get the cheaper stuff and change it every 100k miles. Get a gasket if at autozone also, some models don't use gaskets, but yours probably does, if it doesn't post back up and I'll tell you what to do. What I do after everything is apart and cleaned is I take sandpaper, maybe like 1000 grit and I run it on the gasket surfaces of the diff cover and the carrier housing lightly, just to try to make sure its clean and there are no projections sticking out that would affect the seal. Make sure you clean off again after sanding. So basically what you need is a basic socket set, wd-40, a screwdriver, sandpaper, a new gasket and maybe some RTV sealant or similar, fluid, and that's really all, unless you want to paint it. I'm guessing you have an open diff, not a limited slip, if you do have a limited slip you'll need to buy a fluid additive also when you put fluid in. Efan would be nice, but they usually turn out jerry rigged, if it were me I'd probably try to find a new clutch for the fan out of a low mileage junkyard truck or something, or just price one from autozone. I'd bet to do a nice efan setup with controller, a good screw in type temp sensor, and fan and all that stuff it'd cost several hundred dollars. A new clutch may only be 100. Remember you should have the fan set to turn on somehow when the AC compressor is engaged too...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:44
The Codes is on a distinguished road

alrighty, all sounds like really good info! thanks a lot man