DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust Cummins Diesel Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 2wd
Color: PDA-Light Greystone Pearl
Rep:20
Dooner is on a distinguished road
Default DPF/CAT delete that retains the look.......

I was wondering if anyone has done the DPF/CAT delete by gutting the stock units out, or somehow running a straight pipe through them. I'm hoping to find out how much trouble it is to do this. I want to delete them, but don't want to worry about passing the yearly safety inspection. They may never even notice, but I would rather be safe than sorry.
Sponsored links
Old 07-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

My suggestion - don't do it. There are many sensors up and down line of the cats that you'll have to deal with, better to get a good cat back exhaust and possibly get a set of headers to open things up legally. Just my 2 though.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:18 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:12
11Ram06Daytona is on a distinguished road

A DPF has a high price tag. Personnaly I would say get the delete pipe and just swap it out once a year. I know it will be a pain, but if you ever had make everything functional you wont need to buy a new one. What programmer are you planing on using?

By the end of August: Recon Smoked Headlights & Roof Markers, 8K HID, 6" Fabtech Long Arm, Amp Research Steps, Fuel - Gauge 20" Wheels, Bakflip cover, H&S MaxxMini, MBRB Exhaust, 2 10" L7's 1500.1 Kicker amp.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjmoser View Post
A DPF has a high price tag. Personnaly I would say get the delete pipe and just swap it out once a year. I know it will be a pain, but if you ever had make everything functional you wont need to buy a new one. What programmer are you planing on using?
If I did it that way, what would I do with the metal tubing and sensors that are attached to it? If I just gut the DPF and CAT, I could leave them just as they are, and when they visually inspect it, they don't know any different.
What reason were you thinking of, that I would want to make it functional again? Just curious.

I was looking at the H&S XRT PRO. It seems to have tunes for DPF installed and DPF delete. That way, I can do it in pieces when money was available. Tuner first, and enjoy the extra power. Then delete later, cause I'm not yet sure of what it will take to gut the two.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:29 AM

I didn't know if your truck was still within warranty. The other thinking was down the road when you might sell the vehicle. That is where I was going with making it functional down the road.

There are delete pipes that have the bungs so you can still mount the sensors back into the pipe. Sure it wont look the same as having the DPF installed, but it will give a visual having the sensors installed.

Out of curiosity I did some searching on other forms and came up empty on people gutting it out.

By the end of August: Recon Smoked Headlights & Roof Markers, 8K HID, 6" Fabtech Long Arm, Amp Research Steps, Fuel - Gauge 20" Wheels, Bakflip cover, H&S MaxxMini, MBRB Exhaust, 2 10" L7's 1500.1 Kicker amp.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Thanks MakeItCustom! You give me some things to think about. Yea, only have 7000 miles on it, so warranty has a long way to go.

I really don't have any reason for wanting to delete right now, other than that it may be better in the long run. Oh, and fuel prices. The truck runs great and seems to be very powerful for me. I'm wondering when the regen mode will start.

And thanks for looking around in other forums. I really appreciate the help. I'd give you a dozen reps, but it wont let me. LOL!

Last edited by Dooner; 07-08-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:54 PM

Formally known as MakeItCustom lol. I just did a name change

I don't know about the H&S tuner you were looking at, but the other 2 models they have allow you to disable the regen. They also have a mounting pod for there MaxxMini that goes over the rear view mirror. I will be installing mine in about a month and a half.

Glad I could help!

Old 07-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

I'm pretty sure all of the H&S tuners have with and without DPF tunes
Have the mini maxx with just a suction cup mount and its awesome, I play with it every time I drive my girlfriends dads truck
Old 07-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Ram06Daytona View Post
Formally known as MakeItCustom lol. I just did a name change

I don't know about the H&S tuner you were looking at, but the other 2 models they have allow you to disable the regen. They also have a mounting pod for there MaxxMini that goes over the rear view mirror. I will be installing mine in about a month and a half.

Glad I could help!
Almost got me with the name change. LOL!

The XRT PRO seems to have the basic things you need for tuning with DPF and DPF delete. It just doesn't have some of the extra features like digital guages and stuff. But it is $300 cheaper, and I don't want it mounted anywhere. I like a nice clean sleeper look.

Let me know how the install and tunes go with your truck. I'm really interested to hear what you think about it.

Thanks again.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

If you plan on running a HP tune on your truck I recomend the digital gauges! Its actually nice to have it mounted to the windshield, its similar to a gps but smaller. Its really nice to be able to change settings on the fly. A couple of my friends have DSP on their cummins and it can be a pain switching tunes when your hauling a trailer and such