DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - SIGS - Special Interest Groups > Public Safety

Notices

Public Safety Special Interest Group for Police/Law Enforcement, Fire, and EMS Personnel! - Click the badge to the right to request membership>>

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:327
starquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the rough

I think there are a greater number of "bad apples" serving as LEOs now than there ever has been. This is due to the fact that there are more LEOs in general and also due to hiring standards and the lack of qualified individuals that are willing to put their life on the line for 30-40K a year. I agree that these "bad apples" still represent a small minority of the entire group but there are still more of them to give the rest of us a bad name than there ever has been.

Also, like many have said already, the rise of media and social networking ensures that any and every negative interaction (and some that are only represented as negative from a biased point of view) are blasted to everyone and their brother.

And last but not least, I personally feel like LEOs have stepped up their game so to speak in recent years as a response to larger numbers of more violent criminals on our streets. We all know crime is on the rise but do people consider this when they talk about the increase in uses of force and officer involved shootings?
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
mccartyser is on a distinguished road

Well I can say that I was in LE for 10 years, I got out cause of politics.
My first Chief said from the start ( treat people like you want them to treat You)
I always worked like that and I never had any real trouble with arrest or tickets.
But I always believed in giving a break, If I caught you speeding and you were going 10-15 mph over, If you had no other tickets for a couple years I would just give a warning. Not everyone is bad, some just need a reminder.

Well that's my two cents.

Have a good day and just remember who they call when something goes wrong???

mccartyser
Old 06-05-2011, 02:20 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:45
Ray is on a distinguished road

I been LEO for 7 years now and if there is one thing I learned is that your not going to make everybody happy. We all know it stinks getting a ticket and most cops dont like to give them but it is part of the job. My thing is I treat people by the way they act. If your respectfull and honest 9 times out of ten I will give you a break. Some poeple just want to argue and curse you out and then wonder why they get a ticket. I also work in New York so its no easy place to be a cop. Thanks to all who do appreciate us
Mods:Mopar fiber glass Tonneau cover,Nerf Bars,Bully Hitch bar,husky mud guards,stubby antenna,Edge guards,weather mats,20%tint all around+windsheild,lisence plate covers,Upgrage to REN w/back up cam,Magnaflow 18, putco bulbs,LED interior/plate bulbs,viper smartstart

Old 06-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Electric Blue
Rep:3915
BlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I been LEO for 7 years now and if there is one thing I learned is that your not going to make everybody happy. We all know it stinks getting a ticket and most cops dont like to give them but it is part of the job. My thing is I treat people by the way they act. If your respectfull and honest 9 times out of ten I will give you a break. Some poeple just want to argue and curse you out and then wonder why they get a ticket. I also work in New York so its no easy place to be a cop. Thanks to all who do appreciate us
People in LE are just doing the job they promised they would. No reason to treat ANY ONE bad because you got caught doing something you knew you shouldn't do! I could never do what you guys do. Even knowing a routine traffic stop could result in injury or death.....uh uh. Then you don't get paid what you are worth. God bless you all who do stick with it!!!

Like what you see? Support this fine site!

Go here for great how-to's and make sure you know the rules!

Make sure you show off your Ram by posting pics in the GALLERY!!

L.O.B.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 2009 QC 4wd
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:146
jc4041 will become famous soon enoughjc4041 will become famous soon enough

I was stationed in SC for 5.5 years. We were on our "transition day" between a phase 1 and phase 2 exercise. Few of us decided to meet up and go to dinner. At the time I drove a 94 GMC that I had done a lot of work to. So my buddy DJ was riding shotgun and we were sitting at a red light, the car beside me starts creeping...light changed, I gun it....didn't see the cop coming up the side street. lol So the two LE's get out of the car, hands on their guns as they walk up to the truck, I'm laughing my ass off. LEO that came to me says "you mind explaining yourself?" I said "not at all, I thought he wanted to run 'em." Cop just shook his head, laughed, and gave me a warning for "improper start" lol. My last few years there I lived like 3 blocks from the LE office (on the wrong side of the tracks). I was making a grocery run one after noon, the truck was anything but quiet and didn't like doing 55...so on the highway I was running around 65, LE passes in the other direction, brake lights, then blue lights...I promptly took the next exit and went to the nearest store. LEO was all of 5' tall little black guy. The first thing out of his mouth was "we've been after you a long time and now we got you"....wtf, I live 3 blocks from your office, it's not like my truck "blended in" in any way shape or form. I've always and still do respect LEO's...since we "kinda" have the same job...but him popping off with that really pissed me off. But I just smiled took my tickets...yes tickets...speeding and my registration wasn't signed lol. 325 bucks, but they dropped the registration one since I fixed it on the spot.

Just because we did/do someting stupid, it didn't/doesn't give us the right to be a smartass to them....just because the LEO comes off as a jackass, doesn't mean he actually is one...everyone has bad days. I've been caught red handed doing dumb stuff and gotten a warning or "behave yourself and have a good night" after flashing my military ID.
'07 Dodge Charger SRT8 SuperBee #579-CAI, DSP, dual Cherry Bomb Extremes
-Jeff
Old 07-11-2011, 07:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram MEGA cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Dark Grey Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:137
millon9 will become famous soon enoughmillon9 will become famous soon enough

Although I am a LEO... I have been pulled over a few times....maybe more than a few. 99.5% of the time the cop is fine, even if I am getting a ticket, they are professional, and direct with it, not spouting off and being a douche. However, I can remember 3 incidents where the police officer was just completely out of line with his tone, and demeanor. One was a NYSP officer, turns out I work with his brother, and douchery is a family trait. The other 2 were by the same police officer, 2 years apart, in Carlisle, PA. I went down for the car show in May in 2009 and 2010, driving my Grand Am, which is quite ticketable for stupid non-safety related offenses. While I did not get a ticket either time, he felt the need to berate me, even though I was polite and professional with him both times.

First time he somehow tried to tell me that it was a law that your tail lights must be visible from 200ft away while in direct sunlight. He failed to answer however who has thier tail lights ON during the daytime, and am I ticketable if I have them off?

Second time he literally called me out of my hotel room to again berate me for some meaningless violation on my car while in the hotel parking lot. This is after dozens of town cops, county sheriffs, and state troopers had already driven through the lot, and not said a word to me. Tell me that's not uncalled for.....?

Anyhow, to answer the original post, yes, bad apples have ruined the reputations of many LEOs. On the other hand, I also believe alot of complaints stem from the violators belief of 'self-supremecy', where they take offense to ANYONE who tells them they are wrong. Some people honestly think that the police 'don't have the right' to pull them over for wrong doing.

www.woundedwarriorproject.org
Donate and help the people who gave limbs to help you!

Jason