DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Rust on my '10

7K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  aepowell 
#1 ·
After all the threads about rusty bumpers, rusty side steps, etc. I thought I had made it through unscathed and yesterday I found some... can't even bring myself to say it... rrrust on some of the rivets at the front of the bed. :cry2:

Luckily I have an awesome service manager at an awesome dealership so I'm not to worried about it... but still... who the heck expects rust on a vehicle that hasn't seen it's first birthday yet?

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, haven't seen actual body rust yet. Just bumpers. You should be proud!!

#4 ·
After all the threads about rusty bumpers, rusty side steps, etc. I thought I had made it through unscathed and yesterday I found some... can't even bring myself to say it... rrrust on some of the rivets at the front of the bed. :cry2:

Luckily I have an awesome service manager at an awesome dealership so I'm not to worried about it... but still... who the heck expects rust on a vehicle that hasn't seen it's first birthday yet?

Yeeesh:SHOCKED: I'm going to run out and check mine now.

#8 ·
guys i posted the same issue, went to dealer, warrenty work, they remove the bed and take care of the area, did a great job also, dealer has to call chrysler to approve repair, also upstater, check rear quarters behind the tire, i put mud guards on and removed my plastic protectors, an it started to chip. by chance did your truck come from pa orginally?

#14 ·
truck frame

i lost sleep when this was done, but it came out great, an im crazy about my shit being done right. did also find a spot on my step bars, maybe from a rock chip etc. not sure what im doin about them yet, i dont like them, might need to come off, to much chrome.

Attachments

#15 ·
Holy Crap now I am not going to sleep very well. I just noticed mine last week had the exact same rust in the exact same place. Dealer told me it was bleed through from the welds. I also have spots on the door sills as well. He took pictures and sent them to Chrysler. I am waiting to hear back.

#16 ·
I LOVE MY DEALER! :pepper:

I e-mailed my service rep the picture and he called me almost immediately, told me to bring it in at my convenience and it'll go straight to the body shop so they can pull the bed, fix the rust and repaint.

I'd be freaked out but the truck is less than a year old and the bed's been off twice already (once for the lift installation and once to have the side repainted when some anti-hunter *ickhead keyed the side of it last year when I was hunting).

#20 ·
Just curious, did any of you with the rust problems have the dealer apply the rust proof "stuff" with the three year warranty I think?

I am also thinking of getting the rust check or other competitor treatment down each year. Is this over kill?

Thanks for any comments.

Musky....

#22 ·
Mine looks exactly the same. What a pain in the --- it will be having to take it in and get it fixed. Trying to think what I can have done at the dealership while its there? Did they give you any trouble? I haven't taken mine back yet.Bought it from the HUGE man in Nelliston, They have been good to me so far this should be a good test.

#23 ·
I didnt have to many issues, went stright to service manager, gave him the keys, an told him ill be looking for things different. job was great, only thing i found is my mud guard 1/8'' away from my fender. An the paint flake behind rear wheels on bottem of box was taken care of. and dealer would only pay 2 days for a car( lets just say i got my money outa that charger) they dont paint the whole bed, just that inside part.

G
#26 ·
You think that is bad. My truck is Austin Tan and I have pin sized rust marks all over the tailgate. Dealership said they have to make sure it is rust and not just paint chips. I swear I am getting real sick of this truck!

#27 ·
Chances are what you're seeing isn't rust but "rail dust", or tiny pieces of metallic dirt that stick to the paint; my truck is white and I find it all the time.

Clean the truck good then claybar the tailgate and I'd be willing to bet the "rust" spots will disappear.

#32 ·
Check the under sides of your chrome bumpers boys,
i`ll bet you`ll see more rust to worry about under there on these 4th gen junks.
Fuggin dodge quality...!!!!....YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, i cant wait to buy another one...NOT....!!!!!!
I guess I'm lucky... I spend a fair amount of time under my truck and so far not a single rust spot on the bumpers or the step rails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.