DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram – 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 1500 Sport
Color: Blue
Rep:10
Alkire193 is on a distinguished road
Default '06 Ram 1500 (4.7L) vs. Trailer

Digging in deep the past few days I found some conflicting information which I need some help sorting out. The truck is a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 quad cab with 4.7L V8. Any help would be great.

1) When the trucks full towing capacity (trucks weight + trailers weight) is 12,500lbs. That should mean that with a 22' Enclosed ATV Trailer that weighs 3600lbs empty + curb weight of 5750lbs for the truck, I should be able to haul the race quads, the tools, the fuel, the riding gear and me to the race with room to spare. Assuming my gear is only 1000lbs, I should have a buffer of 15 - 20%. Correct?

2) Now, the GVWR (or whatever its called) for the truck is 6000lbs. However the trailer is rated as a GVWR 7000lbs trailer. Does this mean my truck is incapable of hauling it?

3) My options are to buy a newer, better truck or to modify the existing truck to pull this load. However, due to legal restrictions in some states. Im wondering if question 2 will cause me to get a ticket everywhere I drive. Im ok with modification, however, how can I reduce wear and tear on my vehicle and not piss off the police everywhere I go?
Sponsored links
Old 07-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Red
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:20
440Magnum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkire193 View Post
1) When the trucks full towing capacity (trucks weight + trailers weight) is 12,500lbs. That should mean that with a 22' Enclosed ATV Trailer that weighs 3600lbs empty + curb weight of 5750lbs for the truck, I should be able to haul the race quads, the tools, the fuel, the riding gear and me to the race with room to spare. Assuming my gear is only 1000lbs, I should have a buffer of 15 - 20%. Correct?

2) Now, the GVWR (or whatever its called) for the truck is 6000lbs. However the trailer is rated as a GVWR 7000lbs trailer. Does this mean my truck is incapable of hauling it?

3) My options are to buy a newer, better truck or to modify the existing truck to pull this load. However, due to legal restrictions in some states. Im wondering if question 2 will cause me to get a ticket everywhere I drive. Im ok with modification, however, how can I reduce wear and tear on my vehicle and not piss off the police everywhere I go?

In the following, I'm going to ASSume that your stated weights and limitations are correct- I'm not going to re-check to make sure your trucks gross combined weight rating is REALLY 12,700. That's on you.

Question number 1: assuming that your numbers are all right, then yes you have a margin. Note that operating that close to the truck's limits, you had better be PROPERLY equipped. That means: trailer brakes, load-equalizing class IV hitch (or 5th wheel), transmission cooler, sway damper, etc. Towing that much trailer without brakes or a load-equalizing hitch, in particular, is asking for trouble. You have to remember that there are several intersecting requirements that you have to meet: You can't exceed the truck's tow ratings (trailer weight, tongue weight, etc.). You can't exceed the truck's own loading rating (which includes tongue or 5th wheel weight). And you can't exceed the trucks gross combined vehicle weight rating (the total weight of the whole rig and its load). All of this is spelled out in the truck's owner's manual. Yes, its boring and a little complicated, but go through it and plug your numbers in the examples in the manual.

Question 2: It doesn't mean your truck "can't" haul it. It just means that you CAN overload your truck IF you load the trailer all the way to the trailer's max GVWR. That would exceed the truck's GCWR. So long as you do NOT overload the truck (and that means in this case that you have to leave some of the trailer's capacity unused) then you're legal.

Question 3: Can't tell you the particulars on each state. But in practical terms, I've never happened to drive in a state that made private (non-commercial) trucks/trailers stop at weigh stations to be checked. And if you're stopped for a routine traffic stop, how many police officers can or will actually check your truck's tow capacity and compare it to how you're actually loaded up? Not many, if any. And as far as I know (I could be wrong) what matters is how you're ACTUALLY loaded, not whether the trailer could POSSIBLY exceed the truck's capacity anyway.

Hope this helps.