DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-12-2011, 09:54 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of
Default ArmyofOne's "How-To" Garage: Change a PCV Valve.

The following instructions are for the changing of a PCV Valve on a 2009 4.7L PowerTech V8. However, nearly every car will be similar in technique. Just look for the thing sticking out of the valve cover, with a hose going from it to the intake manifold/TB.

Step 1: Remove this hose:

Step 2: Unscrew clamps right behind the hose shown above (forgot to take a pic) on the main intake tube.

Step 3: Remove Airbox Cover, using clips:

Step 4: Remove Intake crosstube.

Step 5: Unplug this (MAF) sensor----

Step 6: Unbolt 1 10mm bolt right below that sensor. It holds the Intake-box-thing in place . Yes thats the technical term.

This is what you should see:

On the drivers side/rear of the valve cover is the goal...the PCV Valve.

Step 7: Unclip PCV Valve, twist out and pull:

Step 8: Clean PCV Valve (I did as a temporary solution, due to work I cant get to autozone or the dealer till saturday), or Install a new one, and reassemble.

Hope this helps someone!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Sponsored links
Old 07-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

Nice write up!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:24 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Thanks! this helps me lol! It looks like you and I have the highest mileage of the later year trucks, I should maybe change mine soon too for peace of mine and a few bucks.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:43 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Thanks! this helps me lol! It looks like you and I have the highest mileage of the later year trucks, I should maybe change mine soon too for peace of mine and a few bucks.
Of course you should! Its cheap insurance. I have never paid more than $10 for a PCV Valve, and it keeps your engine from leaking.

If you just want to clean it, just spray it with Carb/choke cleaner.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 12-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Quad Cab SLT
Color: Red
Rep:10
forester01 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I've got the PCV valve ordered and should be installing it next weekend. Any tips for replacing all 16 plugs and wires, 95K maintenance.

Charley
Old 12-30-2012, 10:28 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Thanks, I've got the PCV valve ordered and should be installing it next weekend. Any tips for replacing all 16 plugs and wires, 95K maintenance.

Charley
Where'd you order the pcv valve from?

Have you changed your intake side plugs yet? They are supposed to be replaced at ~50k miles. They are a Bosch plug, SPFR8TE2AA. The exhaust side plug is good for `~100k miles. It is also a Bosch plug, SPFR8TI332. Wires shouldn't need replaced. The intake side plugs sit directly under the coil, the exhaust side has a small wire from the same coil(I'm not even sure if the wire is replaceable separately or if the whole coil needs replaced). Supposedly you need a thin wall spark plug socket for the intake side plugs, as a regular socket is too thick to fit. Also supposedly the boots on the coils tear/break easy, so be careful.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.