DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Fire Red
Rep:12
skruface is on a distinguished road
Default Audio Enhancers 10" sealed sub enclosure (with Alpine components) for CC - Now w/ pics!

Just installed an Audio Enhancers "custom fit" sub box in my 2011 CC.
http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Sub..._specific.html

I got the box itself from Pickup Specialties, at the same time as I ordered my Iron Cross side steps a few months back. Being a high school teacher and rugby coach, I haven't had the time to install it until today. I ordered the single-sub sealed box (passenger side under rear seat) for a few reasons:

1: I am almost 40, and I don't need to get any more deaf than I already am. I just need a little extra bottom end on my daily 50 mile commute to and from work.

2: I prefer sound quality over sheer volume. I'm married with a 22-year-old son; I don't need to impress the chix with the boom from my ride.

3: I wanted to keep access to the under-rear-seat storage bin on the driver's side for my ratchet straps, work gloves, etc., rather than walking around to the other side of the truck to get my stuff.

The box itself is well built, but I am a fanatic for attention to detail, and there are a few things that could be done better.

- The "Extreme Kote" finish was already showing minor scuffing and chips when it arrived - clearly, as a liner-type material, it's more or less weatherproof (for the interior, anyway) but not nearly as tough as the Line-X in my bed. No one will see the minor cosmetic imperfections but me and I don't compete in sound competitions, plus they won't affect performance at all.

- There's almost no room between the top of the box (with protective grill installed) and the bottom of the rear seat. I'm concerned that with something heavy on the back seat (like my 230 pound son, or my 150 pound dog) the seat will droop enough to rest right on the sub box. The grills should keep the seat fabric/frame clear of the driver though.

- The corner edge on the inside corner could have been angled/beveled. As it is now, it's a 45-degree angle, and it sits over the corner of the rear passenger-side floor cup holder - you effectively lose the use of one.

That niggling aside, I loaded it up with an Alpine Type S SWS1023D 10" shallow mount sub. The box itself is quite shallow (5.5" max mounting depth), and so limits the subs you can install. It also has a small interior volume - around 0.3 cubic feet, so again, this limits the subs you can install. The SWS1023D was on sale at my local shop, and based on their recommendation for this particular enclosure, I paired this DVC sub to an Alpine MRP-M500 Class D amp, which I mounted on a small MDF platform under the back seat, right in the middle. I went with this amp in particular for a few reasons:

1. It was on sale dirt cheap (for Canada; even though the Canadian dollar is worth more than the US dollar at the moment, there is economy of scale at play, too - I know this amp is a little cheaper in the US or online, but I have the convenience of a factory-authorized dealer 5 minutes from my house if I run into warranty issues without the hassle of shipping or import duties).
2. It would push the 2-ohm load on the DVC sub without issue.
3. It's a Class D amp, and where I wanted to mount it (under middle of back seat) it wouldn't get a ton of airflow, so I wanted something efficient that would give off very little heat. It's also physically small, and not very tall - there is about an inch or two of airflow over the top of the amp.

Sub: http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/sws-1023d/Specs
Amp: http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/mrp-m500

The verdict:

I'll play this by ear, since I'm not into competitions and have no tools to measure actual output info. The system sounds great, paired to my aftermarket Pioneer P5100DVD in-dash flip-screen DVD player. I left the amp crossovers off, and used the head unit to control the 80hz Low Pass/High Pass filters, with the head unit's equalization set to flat. I'm using the head unit to power the factory stock speakers. Playing rock music, like Aerosmith or AC/DC, there's plenty of punch to the bottom end of the bass guitar and kick drum, but it's not buzzy or rubbery sounding. Moving on to some classical (Rachmaninov), the bottom end of the cellos and horns is deep and clear, very natural with very little audible coloration. But it took NWA's "Straight Outta Compton" and "F*ck Tha Police" to make me scramble to turn the volume down and go HOLYSH.....the rearview mirror is basically rendered useless due to the vibration. My neighbors could hear me half a city block away...with the volume set at half. Clearly, this setup loves rap/hip hop. Also, after letting it run for about an hour on a road trip to the edge of town (it's 34C/39C with the humidex today - that's like 102.2F) with the AC on (but the passenger side window down...women...) and the volume between 1/3 and 1/2, the amp was only slightly warm to the touch.

Overall, I'm happy with this setup. Total cost was $169 (amp) + $89 (box) + $119 (sub) + $69 (Stinger amp install kit). Next will be a 4-channel Class D amp under the driver's seat to power upgraded internal speakers. My father has the upgraded Alpine factory system w/sub in his 2010 Ram, and mine sounds better for less money.

Pics to come as soon as my camera battery charges. Perhaps a small video after that.

-----

Now with pics:

It seems the corner of the seat frame hinge clips the corner of the box. I'll have to fab a little spacer, maybe 3", to keep it securely pushed towards the centre of the truck.

Still have access to the drivers' side under-seat storage bin.

Not much clearance.

Here's where you lose the cup holder. This was just lazy design and could easily have been fixed.

Last edited by skruface; 07-16-2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: added pics
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2011, 12:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Hunter green
Engine: 1993-1993 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp 325lb/ft
Rep:21
Reddog170 is on a distinguished road

Can you trim the covering back, notch the corner and glue the covering back on so you can regain the cup holder and prevent the speaker box from being accidentally hit? Shaun
Old 07-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Fire Red
Rep:12
skruface is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog170 View Post
Can you trim the covering back, notch the corner and glue the covering back on so you can regain the cup holder and prevent the speaker box from being accidentally hit? Shaun
It's covered in some kind of spray-on bed-liner-like material, so I guess I could always re-spray it, the problem is if I ground down that corner to where it should be, the box would only be 1/16th of an inch thick and would surely flex from the SPL. Conceivably, I could just cut the entire corner off at a 45 degree angle and put a new piece of MDF in there as he end plate, but that would further reduce the internal volume of the box, as well as a potential air seal issue if it's not perfectly square. So short answer is yes, I could, but it's more work than I want to do at the moment. I think I'll just enjoy it for a bit first.