DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7Hemi 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Bighorn Package
Color: Light Graystone
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
cptsopiens is on a distinguished road
Default Axle ratio and acceleration question

I am about to buy a Ram 1500 Bighorn 5.7L Hemi crew cab 4x4 for my daily driving vehicle and to pull a 7,500 lb camper about 6-8 times per year. The 3.55 ratio can pull 7,450 and the 3.92 ratio can pull 8,500 lbs. I prefer to have some reserve and would like to get the 3.92 ratio. The sales rep said I would lose some of the "ride" that I enjoy and the ability to accelerate off the block. I love the Hemi's ability to go 0-60 and I don't want to lose that. I am trying to educate myself on axle ratios and will go for the higher one if someone tells me they have great "off the block" acceleration. The Dodge site states

"A "high" ratio, one with a high number of drive shaft turns like the 4.1:1 example above, is better for quick acceleration, climbing grades, carrying loads or pulling a trailer. However, it results in lower fuel economy and is noisier when running at high vehicle speeds."

Keep in mind I do NOT care about fuel economy. Some sites say the worse gas mileage is undetectable to the user. I want to be able to pull adequately . Is the increase in acceleration in the 3.92 only in the higher RPM ranges and gears? Does it decrease performance in the lower gears "off the block?"

thanks for any help you can provide this long time aspiring Dodge Ram owner!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:100
Burkdadhemi will become famous soon enoughBurkdadhemi will become famous soon enough

The 3:92 will give your more acceleration not less. I have 3:92 in mine and pull a 9000lb + trailer with no issue. He's just tring to sell. make sure you have the trailer package, If it's the 3:55 it don't have the full package.

MagnaFlow
Airaid Jr Kit
D/S Predator
Amsoil
Old 04-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7Hemi 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Bighorn Package
Color: Light Graystone
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
cptsopiens is on a distinguished road
Default happy with acceleration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkdadhemi View Post
If it's the 3:55 it don't have the full package.
I gather you are happy then with your acceleration through all gears and RPMs?

Not sure what you mean by the full package? I took home a 3.55 axle and pulled the trailer without trouble. It had a class IV hitch and built in wiring, so it seems ready to go. I don't think there is any advantage for them to sell me a 3.55 v. 3.92. They don't have either in my color and have to try and get it in.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:100
Burkdadhemi will become famous soon enoughBurkdadhemi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsopiens View Post
I gather you are happy then with your acceleration through all gears and RPMs?

Not sure what you mean by the full package? I took home a 3.55 axle and pulled the trailer without trouble. It had a class IV hitch and built in wiring, so it seems ready to go. I don't think there is any advantage for them to sell me a 3.55 v. 3.92. They don't have either in my color and have to try and get it in.
I guess I should have explained it better, With the Trailer package it will have a 136 amp alternator, 750 amp hr battery, the next size radiator. Most 3:55 equipped trucks don't have this set up and the trucks that have the 3:92 gears are set up with the trailer tow package. Not saying your isn't it's just rare.

MagnaFlow
Airaid Jr Kit
D/S Predator
Amsoil
Old 04-05-2009, 04:22 PM
erm

That's all BS...the 3.92 is simply a lower ratio which is a better torque multiplier than the 3.55. So you won't lose any "ride" but the engine will run at a higher RPM at highway speeds but not significantly higher. And for towing, the lower the ratio, the better the truck will handle moving the load from a dead stop.

Freakin' salesman...he has a 3.55 truck on the lot he wants to sell...that's why he LIED to you or made up that ridiculous story.