DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:16
Tone357 is on a distinguished road
Default Maintenance schedule confusion

After reading theMattman's post below regarding drive train maintenance, I am confused as to the correct schedule. Matt's dealer recommended 4x4 service at 44, 500 miles, GT Yankee say's he's overdue, my manual say's to inspect the diff fluids at 72,000, change if using the vehicle as a taxi, police,fleet, etc.
Shouldn't the owners manual be my final authority, or am I missing something. I refuse to go to the dealer unless there is just no other way to get around it. I have this aversion to being ripped off.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:05 PM
erm

I'd go with what is in your manual. If you follow the written instructions and schedule, no one will question that you've done the right thing if you have a problem.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Laramie 1500 CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:55
wylie will become famous soon enough
Default schedule

Most assuredly, go with what is written in YOUR owners manual. A short time back Dodge had an A and B schedule of maintenance. Every time I went in they would print up a B sheet saying I needed all this stuff done and I would point out that they printed up the wrong sheet and to print up an A sheet and it was always" oh I made a mistake". I quit going there and buying there also.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:29 PM
erm

The A service schedule is usually what most folks do and it's all they need unless their particular situation requires Schedule B.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:02 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

I had a customer that ran the fleet for CarQuest and his reccomendation was oil, filter and tire rotation every 5k and manufacturer points for 20K and 40k and up.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:03 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

I dont understand the mentality of "not changing gear fluids". Fact is, ALL oil wears out.

And people wonder why their rear ends/transmissions go out... Change it MINIMUM of every 60k. I do mine every 30 and the trans every 20. Cheap insurance people.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 07-24-2011, 12:04 AM

Vehicle: '09 RAM 1500 4dr
Color: Light Graystone Pearl
Rep:61
Studbuster will become famous soon enough

2009 has no A and/or B service schedule. Just "normal" and police, taxi, towing, fleet, frequent trailer towing. Follow the manual per your use. As I have said in other post, I have the "Lifetime Powertrain Warranty", if Dodge wants it serviced more often they can do it at thier cost.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU FIND TIME TO DO IT OVER??
Dave
Old 07-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
I dont understand the mentality of "not changing gear fluids". Fact is, ALL oil wears out.

And people wonder why their rear ends/transmissions go out... Change it MINIMUM of every 60k. I do mine every 30 and the trans every 20. Cheap insurance people.
I'm not so sure about that Army. I just sold my old GMC Sierra with 323,000 miles on the clock. I changed the rear end fluid once, and had the tranny rebuilt once during 20 years of ownership. I'm not saying I'll follow that schedule with the Ram though.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:37 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
I'm not so sure about that Army. I just sold my old GMC Sierra with 323,000 miles on the clock. I changed the rear end fluid once, and had the tranny rebuilt once during 20 years of ownership. I'm not saying I'll follow that schedule with the Ram though.
You got lucky, pure and simple. I know what I am talking about, and any mechanic will agree with my statements. All oil wears out. You would not run your engine 150k on the same oil would you? The stuff in your diff is the same, only thicker. Granted, there is no combustion going on in your diff, and there should be very little dirt, but thats why the oil lasts longer. It still needs to be changed. It breaks down over time due to heating/cooling cycles and friction.

I am not calling you ignorant by any means, but the assumption or thinking that any oil will last forever IS ingorant.

Even your lawnmower oil chould be changed once every other year or so. Do I do that? No, I think its a waste when a new mower is $100. I buy a new one about every 5 years anyway. But it still should be done. New diff's arent $100. They are about 10x that amount.

If you dont have the lifetime warranty, and you dont change your fluids, you are playing russian roulette. If you do have the lifetime warranty (like I do) and you dont change your fluids you are too. Chrysler may not cover it, The manual outlines the BARE minimum.

I think I will stick to the cheap insurance method with my $20,000+ investment. Has not failed me yet. You guys go ahead and do what you do. I know one thing's for sure...judging by some of the responses to this same type of thread on this board, my next truck will be BRAND NEW, so I can make sure I dont get a truck that someone else put miles on and did not take proper care of it. The only way to (somewhat) safely buy a used car/truck, is to assume its never had ANY maintenance done. That means when you get it, changing at a minimum the oil and trans fluid. And if it has higher mileage like mine did when I bought it, even that is not a cure all. Have someone like me (a mechanic/tech, not just a 'friend who knows about cars') check it, and look for service records.

Oh, and for every case that anyone can make about how they know someone who went xxx,xxx miles and never had a problem (or they did themselves), I can make a case against it. Ultimately its personal choice. I have made mine.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 07-24-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Regarding the front and rear diffs Army, the manual, written by the authority which is Chrysler, states up to the final schedule entry, (144,000 miles) inspect the fluids. Again, change if using the vehicle for commercial or fleet duty.

Either they don't know what they're talking about, or you're practicing overkill. Seems to me that Chrysler has more faith in the longevity of modern lubricants than you do, but it's your money.