DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn, 5.7 hemi
Color: BRILLANT BLACK CREW CAB
Rep:172
FDBDW has a spectacular aura aboutFDBDW has a spectacular aura about
Default Catch can results

Ive had my catch can for about 3 weeks now and decided to check it today. Holy s#!* I had about 3oz of oil in it that would have been sent through my intake and into my combustion chambers. Thats only 3 weeks , and I dont drive very much, 16,000mi in 2 years , so I bet the average driver would have pulled that amount in less time. Maybe my best mod yet
MOPAR CAI , 14" MUFFLEX, Diablo Intune 91oct , 2.5" LEVEL, K2 OPEN BLACK MESH GRILLE, FRONT WINDOWS TINTED, ROCKSTARS ON 295/70/18 NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLERS, LARADO BED COVER, DEBADGED, GO RIHNO STEPS , RECON SMOKED TAIL & THIRD BRAKE LIGHTS , PAINTED HEADLIGHTS , SPEEDLOGIX CATCH CAN, FASTMAN PORTED TB ,
Sponsored links
Old 07-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Question

catch canwhat and where is this.i have an 06 ram 5.7 hemi
Old 07-28-2011, 07:28 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3269
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltom View Post
catch canwhat and where is this.i have an 06 ram 5.7 hemi
Sadly, our generation has an internal PCV system... not able to install a catch can but there is a way to do it that involves some modification of the passenger-side valve cover, a chevy PCV, and permanently disabling your PCV system.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport Ram Hood
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:516
Bordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of light

Just ordered a catch can (satin finish)!!

Saw your previous thread with pictures, and you convinced me.

Thank you in advance, my engine will hopefully appreciate this! ha
Old 07-28-2011, 11:12 PM
erm

Yup...the catch can is a great mod and engine life extender for those who can put one on their truck. There is a way to modify the 3rd generation to make them work, however.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:145
Racerdamon will become famous soon enoughRacerdamon will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the results, I have one on my next to do list!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
notnks is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to notnks

Why can't you just put a filtered vent on your valve cover and plug the hole going into the TB? That is what I used to do on all my old Chevy's and they ran great. Will it mess something up on these 4gen Dodge's?
Old 07-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn, 5.7 hemi
Color: BRILLANT BLACK CREW CAB
Rep:172
FDBDW has a spectacular aura aboutFDBDW has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnks View Post
Why can't you just put a filtered vent on your valve cover and plug the hole going into the TB? That is what I used to do on all my old Chevy's and they ran great. Will it mess something up on these 4gen Dodge's?
Unlike the older motors where we would put a pcv on one side and a vent on the other. This is a closed system and actually doesnt vent from the top of the heads. There is a canister behind the intake manifold were it vents from, Im sure you would throw codes if you just tried to put a vent on that and pluged the other. That would have been nice thought, I have a bunch of those laying around my garage.
MOPAR CAI , 14" MUFFLEX, Diablo Intune 91oct , 2.5" LEVEL, K2 OPEN BLACK MESH GRILLE, FRONT WINDOWS TINTED, ROCKSTARS ON 295/70/18 NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLERS, LARADO BED COVER, DEBADGED, GO RIHNO STEPS , RECON SMOKED TAIL & THIRD BRAKE LIGHTS , PAINTED HEADLIGHTS , SPEEDLOGIX CATCH CAN, FASTMAN PORTED TB ,
Old 07-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^also, putting a filter on the pcv system is not really a good idea because it will create more pressure in the engine compared to an "open" venting system without a filter. This increased pressure can cause seals to blow out, and actually can cause you to lose a few hp. Many drag racers run a system that ties the pcv/valve cover vents into the exhaust and the exhaust creates a vacuum that "sucks" the crankcase pressure out. Alot of people never change their PCV valve, and if blocked it can cause excessive pressure and blown seals. It is good cheap insurance to replace the pcv valve every 50,000 miles or so, even if they say every 100,000, they are only a few bucks. Just my opinion, I try to change mine more often, or at least clean it.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.