DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Slt/outdoorsman
Color: deep water blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Canuk1500 is on a distinguished road
Default 1,001 time asked about weight

Ok guys I have had my 2011 outdoorsman(love it) for about a month, and my wife wants to upgrade to a larger travel trailer. I have seen formula's and read posts about what is ideal for a certain wheel base/drive train. All of these are calculations, so real world and actual pulling the trailer seem to be quit varied from calculations. The trailer sales man told me that the trailer is only 6400lbs. I asked if this was dry and his answer was total weight. I had the brochure in my hand and said why dont you tell me the actual total weight? He asked the other guy and they came back with the same answer! So told my wife go and look at the huge monster in the corner, she sped off happy as can be. The guy asked me if I planned on using my half ton to pull that! thats way to huge for it. I told him look here the the weight(dry) was close to something like 8600lbs, and my truck is rated to 10,000. Let this pissing match begin!!!! online it looks like most of the sites show a dry weight? so are they selling 5000lb trailers to mini van owners???

So we are looking at a 29' ,GVWR 8200lbs, hitch weight of 710lbs. Now I do plan on getting a eq. hitch(reese?) and some type of suspension help(timbren ses?) for the truck. The calculations tell me that a 27', 7960lbs total and hitch weight of 820lbs. does this see like a little to much for the truck?? I have read about 8000lbs giving some people trouble in the 1/2 tons. I want to avoid the tail wagging the dog in windy situations. We have no plans of trip very far but when the kids are along I'd rather not take a chance! Any ideas, thoughts or experiences IE: trailer size/weight or hitch and suspension???
Old 08-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie 4x4
Color: Inferno Red / Light Greystone Pearl
Rep:82
Netman66 will become famous soon enough

I just bought a 30' Surveryor - 6696 lbs dry, 800 lbs on the tongue. I'd say after 2 x 30lb propane fills, a tank of water and my gear it runs around 7200 lbs, 900 or so lbs on the tongue (give or take). I purchased the Reese Strait-Line hitch (1200 lb bars) and installed the Firestone 4190 combo (Coil-Rite & Work-Rite package).

I have a 2010 Laramie Quad Cab with 3.55 gears.

When the trailer is connected to the truck it only drops about 1 inch. I have 10 lbs of air pressure in the bags.

It tows very well. You certainly know it's there, and you need to plan your turns as it's the better part of 60 feet long in total, but if you are a competent driver you'll have no problem at all.

Now, your trailer is about 700 lbs heavier according to your post, so depending on your gearing it may be a little more of a handful. I suspect you have 3.92's in your rig since it's an Outdoorsman (but I could be wrong) and if that's the case you should be just fine.

Most RV places will let you test tow it with the mechanic so you can feel how it will tow before you buy it.

Good luck and happy camping!
Paul