DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 dodge Ram 1500 ST
Trim Level: ST
Color: Black Metallic
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:17
RFarruggia is on a distinguished road
Default 6" lift warranty question

If i was to buy a 6" lift with 35' tires, would this void my suspension warranty? Or better yet void anything? im saving up and i want to go higher so this is deffinately a possibility. otherwise i will have to just put 33" tires and go with a cold air intake along with exhaust etc... any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 08-02-2011, 11:37 PM
erm

Yes, Dodge will not warranty your suspension nor any bearings at the transmission, differential, any intermediate driveshaft bearing, etc...
Old 08-03-2011, 09:07 AM

Vehicle: 2010 dodge Ram 1500 ST
Trim Level: ST
Color: Black Metallic
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:17
RFarruggia is on a distinguished road

Good to know thanks at least I know now to wait until my warranty's up to lift my truck...I will probably just put 33s on there and do some little things
Old 08-03-2011, 09:15 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram CC 4x4 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:388
E.L.D. 44 is just really niceE.L.D. 44 is just really niceE.L.D. 44 is just really niceE.L.D. 44 is just really nice

You could shell out for the Mopar 4" lift if you really wanted it right now! Some dealers will still honor the warranty even though they don't have to. I would ask you dealer the same question. The worst you can hear is no...

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=87541
Old 08-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX4
Trim Level: TRX4
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:57
Pud1309 will become famous soon enough

I think it vary's, sometimes your dealership will have the final say, they told me they"ll warranty up to a 4" lift, doesn't have to be mopar, but they must install it (aka they wants there 40/hour garage rate haha)
Old 08-03-2011, 01:01 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi SLT 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Stone White
Rep:132
Upstater will become famous soon enoughUpstater will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Yes, Dodge will not warranty your suspension nor any bearings at the transmission, differential, any intermediate driveshaft bearing, etc...

This isn't totally correct. The only parts most dealers won't cover are the aftermarket parts. In my case I talked to the dealer before installing my lift and they have no problem honoring the warranty on factory parts. Also, if I'm not mistaken there's a law on the books that prevents them from simply not honoring a warranty because of aftermarket parts.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:32 PM
erm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstater View Post
This isn't totally correct. The only parts most dealers won't cover are the aftermarket parts. In my case I talked to the dealer before installing my lift and they have no problem honoring the warranty on factory parts. Also, if I'm not mistaken there's a law on the books that prevents them from simply not honoring a warranty because of aftermarket parts.
BS...If you wear out a bearing because your pinion angle is over spec due to your aftermarket lift kit, forget about getting warranty on that OEM part.

The Magnusson-Moss Act is what you are referring to. Basically, it outlines the duties and the rights of the buyer and seller with respects to warranty. It also provides for ajudication/arbitration and other forms of settlement when a dispute arises.

Dodge is perfectly within their rights to disclaim warranty coverage for an OEM part that fails due to a modification.

The difference is they can't disclaim warranty for an OEM part that is not associated nor was the failure caused by the modification.

To illustrate: You lift your truck and your radio head unit quits. You have warranty on your head unit.

Certainly, the burden of proof that an item should be warranted is on the buyer and equally the burden of proof that an item cannot be warranted due to the buyer's actions is on the seller.

You are correct that they cannot simply void your warranty because you have mods. And they are not obligated to warrant aftermarket parts.

But if the mod contributed to the OEM part failure, that's pretty much it as far as collecting on the warranty.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:49 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi SLT 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Stone White
Rep:132
Upstater will become famous soon enoughUpstater will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
BS...If you wear out a bearing because your pinion angle is over spec due to your aftermarket lift kit, forget about getting warranty on that OEM part.

The Magnusson-Moss Act is what you are referring to. Basically, it outlines the duties and the rights of the buyer and seller with respects to warranty. It also provides for ajudication/arbitration and other forms of settlement when a dispute arises.

Dodge is perfectly within their rights to disclaim warranty coverage for an OEM part that fails due to a modification.

The difference is they can't disclaim warranty for an OEM part that is not associated nor was the failure caused by the modification.

To illustrate: You lift your truck and your radio head unit quits. You have warranty on your head unit.

Certainly, the burden of proof that an item should be warranted is on the buyer and equally the burden of proof that an item cannot be warranted due to the buyer's actions is on the seller.

You are correct that they cannot simply void your warranty because you have mods. And they are not obligated to warrant aftermarket parts.

But if the mod contributed to the OEM part failure, that's pretty much it as far as collecting on the warranty.

No BS, but believe what you want. When I had my '07 Ram I put a leveling kit on it and trashed the CV joints in 6 months. My service adviser told me point blank they knew it was from the kit, but they replaced the CV joints under warranty, no problem.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:58 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram Club Cab 2 Door
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Midnight Blue
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
Sledneck is on a distinguished road

I would just wait for lift and tires why void warranty? Its like throwing thousands of dollars in a fire?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX4
Trim Level: TRX4
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:57
Pud1309 will become famous soon enough

or go my route, leveling kit and body lift, similer look and keep your warranty