DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-05-2011, 01:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 09 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
TexasRam09 is on a distinguished road
Question Supercharger or Turbocharger

I am thinking about either supercharging or turbocharging my 2009 dodge ram 1500 with the 4.7L V8, does anyone have any suggestions on which option to go with and maybe some ideas on what products are available in either option.
Sponsored links
Old 08-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Check out air ram's website, it looks like they are the only ones putting together a kit:

http://www.airram.com/custompage.php?page=18

Other than that, as far as I know it'd all be custom. Even with that kit ^ you'd need a way to tune it I'd guess, I doubt they will supply everything, but look into it. I'd like to bolt that on my truck depending on price and how much power it added...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:33 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck
Trim Level: Indy Pace Truck
Color: Blue w/ white stripes
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:209
strang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura about

The question is...what are you doing with the truck? There's many different variables to a choice like that.

Supercharger is better if you just want light to light performance on the street. If you're actually going to drag race it, a turbo would be a better choice as there is more power potential with a turbo. Also, a turbo is great for towing.

Turbos are a much more involved install, though, and usually more expensive. Superchargers are much more straight forward and simple to install, but, as I said, there's not as much power potential with them.

Superchargers, however, give you instant throttle response, whereas a turbo has a minor lag between putting the pedal down and it responding.

So...back to my first question...

what are you doing with the truck?

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited / 96 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck / 87 Dodge Charger GLHS / 85 Dodge Omni GLH
Old 08-05-2011, 01:42 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: SS/T
Color: black w/ silver stripes
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:883
98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold

I'd say STS turbo that thing with their universal kits. Those are sweet!!

Alex, 1998 Ram 1500 SS/T. What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 09 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8
TexasRam09 is on a distinguished road

I would like the extra power and speed added but I will also be towing a boat and travel trailer.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:14 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Q-cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:28
CJ.2007Ram is on a distinguished road

I prefer turbos myself; however most of the aftermarket turbo kits place the turbo under the truck, which I personally don't like. So I would suggest a supercharger for a truck unless it will never be off road or in deep water/mud.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:55 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:25
bombadillo is on a distinguished road

I really like the sound, instantaneous power, and ease of use on a supercharger. If you're really wanting to squeeze out a GOB of power out of a 4.7, go turbo. If you're looking to tow a boat, have more power on the road, hit a stop light to stop light race or two, grab a supercharger. Nothing beats that bottom end torque that a good ol eaton supercharger gives. If you can gear drive it, even that much better.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:03 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRam09 View Post
I am thinking about either supercharging or turbocharging my 2009 dodge ram 1500 with the 4.7L V8, does anyone have any suggestions on which option to go with and maybe some ideas on what products are available in either option.
Hi and a warm Carolina welcome to the best RAM ForumZ on the web. I'm not the first and won't be the last to ask ~ How about posting a few photos of your truck? I'm here to help you navigate the site so how about jumping over to the Newbie Checkin and introducing yourself.

all above comments are valid so what are you looking to get out of the 4.7?
Old 08-12-2011, 11:16 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT BigHorn
Color: Husker Red
bigredtruck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
The question is...what are you doing with the truck? There's many different variables to a choice like that.

Supercharger is better if you just want light to light performance on the street. If you're actually going to drag race it, a turbo would be a better choice as there is more power potential with a turbo. Also, a turbo is great for towing.

Turbos are a much more involved install, though, and usually more expensive. Superchargers are much more straight forward and simple to install, but, as I said, there's not as much power potential with them.

Superchargers, however, give you instant throttle response, whereas a turbo has a minor lag between putting the pedal down and it responding.

So...back to my first question...

what are you doing with the truck?
As someone who has built and installed numerous turbo and supercharger kits...i disagree. Turbos are a MUCH easier build/install. The only "hard" part is all the piping. Now this is from a custom build stand point. A supercharger "kit" is very simple to install! Problem with superchargers on our truck is the high compression ratio. i think the 4.7 runs like 9.5:1. ideal is 8.5:1. Youd have to keep boost levels WAY down or you could do some MAJOR damage to your motor. All in All id go turbo. unless you find a decent Supercharger kit. And whatever you do...TAKE YOUR TIME!
Old 08-12-2011, 11:26 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
As someone who has built and installed numerous turbo and supercharger kits...i disagree. Turbos are a MUCH easier build/install. The only "hard" part is all the piping. Now this is from a custom build stand point. A supercharger "kit" is very simple to install! Problem with superchargers on our truck is the high compression ratio. i think the 4.7 runs like 9.5:1. ideal is 8.5:1. Youd have to keep boost levels WAY down or you could do some MAJOR damage to your motor. All in All id go turbo. unless you find a decent Supercharger kit. And whatever you do...TAKE YOUR TIME!
What always stopped me from doing forced induction was tuning.....but it seems tuning has become more available and easier...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.