DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > Other Vehicle Discussion

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: No Ram
Rep:35
BrandonB is on a distinguished road

I like the SRT-4's, almost bought one once myself. But when I figured up the extra cost of the premium fuel and higher insurance for a performance car, I really wasn't saving any money over the truck I had at the time. I also agree with the fact that the kids will be safer in the truck.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:19 PM

Vehicle: 2004, SLT, 3500 HD Tow Pack.
Trim Level: Slt Auto Cloth.
Color: Silver
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:13
fundaddy75 is on a distinguished road

Kids are #1. As long as you have enough to take care of them and the choice is not financially driven I would say stay with the truck. If you can save serious money swapping "down" to the Neon and use it to better your financial security; I would reluctantly go for the Neon.

Kids are #1. Buckets of bolts are bought and sold every day, all day. Take care of your babies first and know the real men are pushing the stroller proudly with both hands. kids are #1
Old 08-07-2011, 06:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:38
White Lightening is on a distinguished road

well the reason i bought my truck is for the fact its a safer choice then the neon its why i let my ex-wife have my last SRT (witch was in 50 trim) .. in the divorce cause i was gonna buy the truck that i have now and turn it into a drag truck/daily driver/trailer pulling and some 4wheelin ... but the price to even get a 1/2 tank and that 1/2 tank dont last as long as it does it did in the nastified SRT that i had ... its more or less i cant really afford fuel in my truck anymore since i pritty much work a 24 hour + week ... im just in a bind witch one cause both of them run on premium i have no idea anymore just wanna save money but also have a SAFE vehicle for my kids to be in
Old 08-07-2011, 11:07 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck
Trim Level: Indy Pace Truck
Color: Blue w/ white stripes
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:210
strang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura about

The neons are safe as long as you're not stupid with it. But, I've seen the Rams just as messed up as some of the neons at the yard.

But...as far as gas goes...let me just say this...I put $40 of regular in my truck and drove 120 miles this past weekend and I am in dire need of fuel again.

I filled the neon with $35 worth of premium last week and got 220 miles of driving with a little bit of sense (some full throttle time included ) So, much better. And, my insurance went up $100 a month because I have to have full coverage on it since I have a loan. If I didn't have full coverage (which you wouldn't have if you traded), it would only be $20 more a month than my Ram...and I'm 18...which kills me.

So...cost wise, with the Neon you will save. As I said, if its a solid car...go for it. If its a true and nice stage 3 with decent miles, you could easily turn around and sell it for at least $12k. Your truck isn't worth $12k as sad as that is.

So...worst comes to worse, if you don't like it, sell it and get something you want.

But, as far as safety with the kids...if you drive safe with them in the vehicle, than the Neon will be plenty safe. People have gotten in some nasty accidents with them while being dumb and walked away from it.

And...I actually just looked it up...an 01 Dodge Ram gets a poor rating in the crash test while the 04 neon gets a marginal (middle) grading.

So the truck may not be as safe as we'd like to think.

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited / 96 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck / 87 Dodge Charger GLHS / 85 Dodge Omni GLH
Old 08-08-2011, 12:43 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 club
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Electric Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:206
sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about

I had an 01 Neon fully loaded, I bought it new and paid it off. Bad news is I got married and the idiotic step son at the time drove it like he stole it when he turned the corner...Yes, he totaled it out ( T-Boned a Van ) driving high speeds and running lights, The neon didnt look all that damaged, no airbags deployed ( surprisingly ) he was unharmed as well as his passengers but the neon was totaled. They are safe in certain situations but not other as I was told when talking to the adjusters/agents. Front and rear impacts rate high, side impacts on a neon, not so good. Just remember cars sit lower and are smaller and there are plenty of monsters out there that you will be up agaisnt. I perfer my truck over getting another car.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
The neons are safe as long as you're not stupid with it. But, I've seen the Rams just as messed up as some of the neons at the yard.

But...as far as gas goes...let me just say this...I put $40 of regular in my truck and drove 120 miles this past weekend and I am in dire need of fuel again.

I filled the neon with $35 worth of premium last week and got 220 miles of driving with a little bit of sense (some full throttle time included ) So, much better. And, my insurance went up $100 a month because I have to have full coverage on it since I have a loan. If I didn't have full coverage (which you wouldn't have if you traded), it would only be $20 more a month than my Ram...and I'm 18...which kills me.

So...cost wise, with the Neon you will save. As I said, if its a solid car...go for it. If its a true and nice stage 3 with decent miles, you could easily turn around and sell it for at least $12k. Your truck isn't worth $12k as sad as that is.

So...worst comes to worse, if you don't like it, sell it and get something you want.

But, as far as safety with the kids...if you drive safe with them in the vehicle, than the Neon will be plenty safe. People have gotten in some nasty accidents with them while being dumb and walked away from it.

And...I actually just looked it up...an 01 Dodge Ram gets a poor rating in the crash test while the 04 neon gets a marginal (middle) grading.

So the truck may not be as safe as we'd like to think.
when the kids are with me i drive like grandma ... by myself it is a different story ... my insurance went up on my truck as i had to renew on friday went up 500 bux cause i made a claim
but to insure my impala it didnt go up at all it went down

witch means for as long as i own the truck my insurance will be more cause of the claim ...

something i cant really afford but still shell it out but i did cause i love my ram well im going to see what the dealership will give me for it
only got 160,000 still MINT and looked it up 2001 dodge ram 1500 st qc 4x4
low 7,650 average 10,064 high 14,694 i hope
Old 08-09-2011, 09:49 PM

well im keeping the ram
the gentleman that was offering the SRT 4 backed out and offered me his wife's Mazdaspeed Protege 5 and i said no cause i dont do imports