DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Green
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:21
seanm is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for a tonneau cover

Hi everybody, first time posting but I've lurked here for almost a year.

I just got my truck in December and I'm looking for a new tonneau cover for it. I'd like on that doesn't sit on top of my end caps and preferably sits flush with the sides of the bed. I saw a Bak-Flip model on one at the dealer the other day, a 4-fold model, but I couldn't find the model designation. Thanks for any help

Ill upload a pic of my truck eye candy haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 252851_10150621979280198_825990197_19099547_2983871_n.jpg (88.9 KB, 50 views)
Sponsored links
Old 07-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:87
united316 will become famous soon enough

well what kind are you looking for? Hard top or soft top roll up, lift, or flip?
2011 SLT Crew Cab 4x2, 4.7, 3.55 gears, TruXedo TruXport Soft Roll-Up Dual Latch Tonneau, Westin Black Platinum series oval step bars, Aeroskin Hood Protector, Ventvisors In-channel smoke , Husky Liners Front ard Rear Mud Guards, K&N drop in air filter.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:33 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Hi and a warm Carolina welcome to the best RAM ForumZ on the web. How about jumping over to the Newbie Checkin and saying Hi and posting a few more photos of your truck? Here's a point or two for the pic

I have a Lund roll top that I like, what style are you wanting?
Old 07-21-2011, 10:43 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Rep:112
jdubsss will become famous soon enoughjdubsss will become famous soon enough

Nice whip!

Bakflip g2 or Baklfip F1 is probably what you were looking at...both are definitely great covers and would be the only ones I'd throw on my truck...can't beat full bed access.
Mods: 14" Magnaflow Muffler, AirRaid CAI, Recon Smoked LED Tails, Recon Smoked LED 3rd Brake, Recon White Lightning, 6k HID Fogs, White LED Plate Lights, LED Interior Lights, EZ Down Tailgate, 20% Tints, Pillar Tape Removed, Stubby Antenna

PICS: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=87696
Old 07-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn Crew
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:14
Rambo11 is on a distinguished road

Bakflip makes good covers. I have a short bed and installed their HD (3-fold) model one mine. Sits flush and doesn't block the end caps. Ordered mine through auto anything.com

Good luck & happy shopping!
Old 07-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Color: White
Rep:95
Razorbass will become famous soon enough

You will probably get a dozen or so different opinions but in the end it depends on what you like. I had a Chevy Avalanche before my Ram and I say hands down the panels on the Avy are the best on the market, just a pain the the butt when you need to take off and store the panels. Wish I could get them for my Ram.

That being said, I eventually went with the BakFlip F1 on my Ram. Three panels and 99% waterproof (after some initial adjustments). They are metal reinforced fiberglass so they get hotter than Hades in the summer but the quality seems to be OK (have not seen how they hold up in a hail storm yet). I do not like the fact that they cover the back glass if you need a 100% open bed but for me, this is the exception rather than the norm so I am fine with that.

Here is a link to mine --> http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=81478
2011 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, skid plates, 3.92 gears, Magnaflow cat back, spray-in bed liner, debadged, Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, WeatherTech liners & deflectors, K&N drop-in filter, 20% tint, Sickspeed carbon fiber antenna
Old 08-10-2011, 02:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Quad Cab 4.7
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
euromade is on a distinguished road

Extang solid fold is what I have just purchased for my 2011. I had had a Fold a cover with a "hidden" toolbox before on my 2005 Dodge.

Fold a cover was nice as I could filp the "plank" by the cab and get stuff out of the toolbox, which I have not used much.

I was looking at the Bak Flip as well, however I did not like their design as far as the latching of the tailgate goes (the seal design in particular).

In my book, Chevy Avalanches have the best "built in" tonneau cover, and the Extang is very close to it. You can shut the tailgate close without having to lift the rear most "plank." (One hand operation)

The problem with the fold a cover has to do with the seal that was not happy if the tailgate is pulled shut with out lifting the rear most section beforehand.

I do not have this problem with the Extang! The seal on the Extang is made to handle the forward tailage movement without the glitch!

The Bak Flip looked somewhat similar to the Fold a Cover as far as their design goes, so I decided not to get it.

Foldacover also had the latch on the top of the last folding section that would become unusable in the sub zero temps in Michigan. (it would freeze and I could not open it)
Both, Extang and Bak Flip feature bottom release, so I was very much tempted to get the Bak Flip as it opens almost all the way when hauilng extra long loads.

Pros of Extang:
In the end I chose the Extand becase:
- I can open the cover with any amount of snow of frozer rain on it, as the latching gear is inder the cover,
- It seals the tailgate better than the Bak Flip,
- It takes 1 minute to have it completely removed, and reinstalled
- Comes completely assembeled, took me 10 minute to install it!
- It is well build (a Michigan company)
- Once the tailgate is locked, the cargo is secure!
CONS:
- Bak Flip sits flush with the bed rail, Extand sticks out 1"
- Bak Flip enables you to open your truck bed almost all the way, as you can lock all the partitions in the upright position against that cab
- Faster opening as you can pull on the release cable, while the Extang has two independed release clamps ( tool free)
- Once the tailgate is locked, the cargo is secure!

Final thoughts:
- I liked my Fold a cover, but I hated its inclement weather design, or the lack of it.
- Fold a cover never sealed good and it took a long time to install
- I liked the Fold a cover quick access to the back of the truck or the hidden tool box, but I did not use it much
- So far, the Extang works great, and their support is as advertised as I needed some extrat weather seals (they sent it my way no questions asked. I needed this as I have a drop in liner).

Feel free to contact me for more info of pictures.....