DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hem
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
PoeTiger is on a distinguished road
Default Media Center 130 w/Glove Box USB

Hey guys -- I just bought a 2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab with the Media Center 130 and UConnect including the Glove Box USB port. I have a couple of newbish questions that my searches have not answered. I have a Zune and am not surprised that it does not work with the USB port. My previous vehicle's Pioneer aftermarket deck had the same issue so I just used the aux input. but I don't want wires running to the front of the head unit junking up the good looking interior.

Has anyone discovered a fix to use a Zune in the Glove Box USB?

My usb flash drive works just fine. How about using a small external hard drive (hard drive from a laptop placed in a small enclosure with a usb connection) ? Anyone tried this? I did and it didn't work but maybe I need to tweak something that I don't know about.

Thanks in advance for any help! -- Poe
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

The USB port in the glove box will not work for Zune. It will only support music file loaded onto a flash drive or an iPod / iPhone. The only suggestion that I have is to load your music onto your phone and either stream it or download it to a flash drive and plug it into the USB connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoeTiger View Post
Hey guys -- I just bought a 2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab with the Media Center 130 and UConnect including the Glove Box USB port. I have a couple of newbish questions that my searches have not answered. I have a Zune and am not surprised that it does not work with the USB port. My previous vehicle's Pioneer aftermarket deck had the same issue so I just used the aux input. but I don't want wires running to the front of the head unit junking up the good looking interior.

Has anyone discovered a fix to use a Zune in the Glove Box USB?

My usb flash drive works just fine. How about using a small external hard drive (hard drive from a laptop placed in a small enclosure with a usb connection) ? Anyone tried this? I did and it didn't work but maybe I need to tweak something that I don't know about.

Thanks in advance for any help! -- Poe
Old 08-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the reply! I guess I'm gonna have to find a huge flash drive because my phone doesn't have enough storage space for my 40gb (and growing) music library. Thanks again!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

Hmm, well this does bring a thought to mind that I will need to try next week when I find some extra time. I'm kind of curious (and have thought about it beforoe but actually just didn't try). I wonder if I got a portable external hard drive that works off of USB power, and loaded music files on it, if I could play the files thru the USB connector. HMM, If you want to hang tight I will try this next week and get back with you about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoeTiger View Post
Thanks for the reply! I guess I'm gonna have to find a huge flash drive because my phone doesn't have enough storage space for my 40gb (and growing) music library. Thanks again!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hey exsdbs. Sure, that would be great. Lemme know what you find out. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Apple products use a file format that is different from our radios
i am not an apple user, so i really don't know much

go to this site, it is a Jeep site, but you can take what info you need from it, it covers many of the Ram radios
http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_nav_2.htm

this site also explains many question that some of us have had about a load of things, besides radios
http://www.wkjeeps.com/kmenu.htm
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 08-15-2011 at 09:43 PM.