DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-26-2010, 01:05 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchested View Post
So the FCM is the computer controller for the IPM found that out.

I have read over 30 posts on all kinds of forums about the IPM and FCM ****ing up so badly that they have to replace both at a whopping $400-$700. I can't believe Chrysler got away with not recalling these parts. What ******* engineer puts a fuse box/computer under the hood completely exposed to weather and shit like this fusebox. Epic fail on Chrysler's part, good thing this isn't my truck and these issues have turned me 100% off of buying a new dodge ram.
Sorry to hear that this issue has you this upset with Dodge. Before you deprive yourself of enjoying one of the best new trucks available, the Generation 4 Ram, I will encourage you look deeper into the wiring and systems of the other available truck options. I think you will find that the current times have influenced all the manufactures into similar systems......Hi-tech, difficult to DIY service, head scratching about the way/where things are done/located, etc. The big difference with the Dodge can only be realized by direct comparison, so go take your 'optional choice' for a test drive....to the Dodge dealer, and park it beside the Ram....then take the Ram for a spin.....then take the option back to the other dealer. If you still aren't convinced the Dodge is the better choice, then you are better off purchasing the option. After all, you are the only one that has to happy with your purchase decision....just don't let an issue with a module that no longer exists, influence you into making a long term decision that you end up regretting.

Quote:
Anyone have a part number for the IPM and FCM 2003 Ram 1500 2wd 4.7 L auto w/ trailer wiring.

Or Can I just buy one of the aftermarket $50 controllers with the internal fuse/relay controls and run them right off of the rear tail lights?
I don't see any reason why not, especially if you get one that is made specifically for that year/model. Check with the well known manufactures like Reese and Hoppy!

BTW - This has gone beyond the scope of the Newbie Checkin thread concept. If you have additional questions on this, can I ask that you start a new thread in the 'Help Zone'. It's about 1/2 way down the main page.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 06-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: 4x4 quad cab Laramie
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Dazed and Confused is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the follow up info folks. I am still trying to find the location of the relay. I am going back out there in awile. I traced the problem from the trailer plug all the way forward to the harness behind the left front tire. So I am convinced that it is indeed a relay as the right side lights work. I will post some pics of the gremlins when i kill them.
Anthony

Last edited by Dazed and Confused; 06-28-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
So the FCM is the computer controller for the IPM found that out.

I have read over 30 posts on all kinds of forums about the IPM and FCM ****ing up so badly that they have to replace both at a whopping $400-$700. I can't believe Chrysler got away with not recalling these parts. What ******* engineer puts a fuse box/computer under the hood completely exposed to weather and shit like this fusebox. Epic fail on Chrysler's part, good thing this isn't my truck and these issues have turned me 100% off of buying a new dodge ram.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the same kind of engineer that works for Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Nissan and pretty much every other auto maker. By the time the '06 model went into production the problem was handled and Chrysler when from PCI to CAN bus network architecture as well.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 4.7L
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Tonatom is on a distinguished road

Yes, I agree the new CAN system is great. I bought an 09 Caliber, not a bad car at all love driving it.

But I don't understand how from 2002-2006 maybe even earlier there was no recall on these badly flawed electrical systems and no compensation given. (In some cases as early as 40,000 Miles. If you look at the shit with Toyota/ Lexus electrical failures they have recalled all of their bad crap.

I have read of instances where the IPM has corroded so bad wires start falling off and crazy things happen to the vehicle, like my instance with the Ignition wire you helped me find on the C1 connector. If I had of taken that to the dealer here it would have cost and easy $500 in labour and $700-800 in parts.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default Right trailer turn signal has no power from the IPM

I've got the same problem. In my case the right trailer turn signal only, ( no power ). I also traced it back to splice # 327. That's where the trailer tow connector branches off to the add on trailer connector. No power to the WT/PK wire coming from connector #217, ( mid frame ). I can think of only 2 possibilities. Either the relay itself, or Connector C-1 . Does anyone know where C-1 is located ??
I have a suspect the relay in question might be an integral part of the integrated power module. If that's the case.. Big bucks and I'm not sure I want to DIY....Anyone got an idea ?
Old 06-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure about Splice 327 ?? From the information I have, it feeds park light power. Should have Black/orange wiring....

Right turn is the WT/PK wire and should go to S330, then to C217 pin13. From there is runs on the same wire color to C1-pin5 on bottom of the IPM. I the IPM it is tied to pin87 of the 'Trailer Tow Right Turn Relay', which gets feed power on pin30 from Fuse47 (15amp). The trigger for the relay comes from the FCM pin34 (Sorry, no wire color here). If the FCM is the issue, I would not be a bit surprised. To test the FCM at this point, pin34 should have +12V when idle, and 0V (gnd) when asking the light to flash.

Connector C1 is the end one (closest to the battery) in the line of 4 connectors (C1, C3, C5, C7) C7 is the one under the protruded part of the IPM. Don't be surprised if the connectors are labeled A through G. In that case, C1 = A.

Hope this helps.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 06-03-2011, 07:06 PM

Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default The growing issue with Ram's IPM

I've got a Ram headache. I was about to pull out with the travel trailer when I found a faulty, (trailer), right turn signal. This is usually just a simple matter of the trailer plug's connection or maybe a bulb. It's now 2 days later and it aint' simple. The problem is deep in truck's components.
Instead of exposed relays to control the turn signals,,,, the relay is an Integral part of the Integral Power Module. This module,,,I find out,,, is one expensive piece of better idea. So far, it looks like $500 MIGHT be enough. Not a DIY either....
In my case, the trailer's right turn relay is defective. The right turn relay isn't replaceable. The entire module must be replaced.. Incidentally, after reading a good number of forums describing turn signal problems, I realized they are likely all from this module.. Beware.
In the morning, I'm going to try just running a jumper from the right rear truck signal to the trailer. For this I spent $26000...
Old 06-03-2011, 10:03 PM

Default Your right

Hey brad12kx,

Your right about #327 splice. I just looked quickly at my location drawing ( fig.49 ) if you have the manual. I used a tester up to about that splice.. WT/PK is the right color for trailer right signal.. C-1 connector could be corroded, but I have my doubts. By the way,, fuses 46 and 47 are good.. ( Right and left trailer tow )
I'm going to try a jumper from the truck's signal to pin number 2 on the add on trailer connector.. I just hope I don't overload the truck's signal relay.. It will either blow the relay, operate improperly, or it might work.. What have I got to loose ?
Thanks for the response.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
SpaceCowboy is on a distinguished road

Brad;
Thanks for the info. I need to dig into this for Left Turn/Brake. It seems as this appears to be a systemic problem.