DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
johncran is on a distinguished road
Default Tonneau Questions

I'm trying to decide on a tonneau cover for my 6'4" short box. Living in the Northeast, snow weight is my main concern. Most of the mfgs. don't ever mention snow weight for their covers. My concern is sagging/stretching of the material, snapping on and off in very cold weather, damaging the material removing snow with a snow brush/broom. I'm leaning towards a non-fabric H.D.trifold cover like the BAK F1. More expensive but sturdier and difficult to damage. Don't want a roll-up for fear of freezing hinges and rails. Anyone have any other recommendations that will hold up to the snow weight?
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

i would defently go with the bakflip but i dont know how its would hold up in the snow as i havnt had mine on through the winter yett but they are suppose to be able to support quite a bit of weight
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Old 08-16-2011, 01:58 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Rep:83
Turbovsix will become famous soon enough

I know you're leaning toward the solid tonneau, but I can tell you that my Truxedo Lo Pro QT held up to all of the blizzards we got in NJ this past winter. NO sagging or any issues to speak of, even with that one 36" snow fall we got. I know Rochester sees more snow than NJ, but we got pummeled this year and I was very happy with how the Lo Pro held up. I mean, this thing is SOLID -
Old 08-16-2011, 04:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
Hiker Guy is on a distinguished road

You get snow up there in New York?

I just got the Bakflip F1 installed on my truck, and it seems like it is sturdy enough to hold weight. The website says it will handle 500 pounds of weight, which is a plus for snow country types. I will let you know after the first Colorado winter...

I originally ordered the Fold a Cover G4, liking the locks and security. However, it arrived very badly damaged (inadequate packing materials), and had to be returned. I then got upset at the G4 packing, and the F1 was ordered next. It arrived in a box with a full foam cushion on both sides.

No locks on it, but combined with a locking tailgate, it is secure. And, it is better looking than the G4 (personal opinion). The fiberglass exterior should keep the bed relatively cool compared to the G4, and hopefully hold up better under an inevitable hail storm.

With regards to the way it folds up against the window....to be honest, I don't like that either. I would probably remove the cover (which is pretty straightforward) when I need the full length of the bed. The cover really isn't that heavy, and one person can easily move it around.

Last edited by Hiker Guy; 08-16-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:45 PM
erm

Another option is a solid cover, much like the Leer unit that is sold as a MOPAR accessory.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I have a custom made fabric cover, it has been on now for 2 years
the material still looks good, but it has stretched & sags
it was made from the same material as was used on classic convertibles

next time i will get the Bakflip G2
i would do it now, but i would need to modify my sign rack & that will cost a lot more then the cover itself
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 08-16-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:69
ncgatorram will become famous soon enough

I have an Undercover SE textured cover ... they are strong and the manufacturer shows pictures of people standing on it so it can probably hold lots of snow.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:47 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

I had the Bakflip on my GMC Canyon for 3 years and never had an issue with excessive weight from snow.
I now have the MOPAR cover on my 2011 Ram, we haven't hit winter yet so I can't say how it is going to hold up. If it's anything like the Bakflip, I shouldn't have any issues.

Good luck deciding.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Silver
Rep:10
johncran is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies guys. I've pretty much decided on the BakFlip F1 with the BakBox. I like the idea of the collapsing toolbox and the security and durability features of the F1. I was also able to find a $100 promo code discount so it makes it even sweeter as BAK products are not generally discounted.