DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:21
Lunatic Fringe is on a distinguished road
Default What Did I Mess UP? (Cooling System)

So I just did the plenum repair and that actually went quite well. I'm embarrassed to say that I'm having problems getting the radiator cooling system to fill though. Seems like it should be easy but I'm scratching my head on this...

Part of doing the plenum repair is draining the radiator which I did. To get all the coolant back into the system my manual says to fill the overflow tank, turn on the heater to high and start the engine. The t-stat is supposed to open when the engine gets hot enough and the mix in the overflow tank will circulate and the level will drop when it does. The problem is that it doesn't seem like the t-stat is opening and the coolant level in the overflow tank never changes. The upper radiator hose doesn't seem to fill with coolant. I know that the system is well over a gallon short of full.

What am I doing wrong?

TIA,

Bob
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic Fringe View Post
So I just did the plenum repair and that actually went quite well. I'm embarrassed to say that I'm having problems getting the radiator cooling system to fill though. Seems like it should be easy but I'm scratching my head on this...

Part of doing the plenum repair is draining the radiator which I did. To get all the coolant back into the system my manual says to fill the overflow tank, turn on the heater to high and start the engine. The t-stat is supposed to open when the engine gets hot enough and the mix in the overflow tank will circulate and the level will drop when it does. The problem is that it doesn't seem like the t-stat is opening and the coolant level in the overflow tank never changes. The upper radiator hose doesn't seem to fill with coolant. I know that the system is well over a gallon short of full.

What am I doing wrong?

TIA,

Bob
You're suppose to fill the radiator with a 50/50 mix then start the car and put the heat on high keeping the radiator cap off, I find it best and makes things quicker if you put the cap on and squeeze the top radiator hose as it pushes air out and allows coolant to travel in the hose to the thermostat if their isn't enough water on top and bottom of the stat it takes for ever to open and sometimes never opens this has happened to me before. Anyways put 50/50 mix in the radiator then turn the engine on let it run and slowly add the mix to the radiator as the level goes down then seal off the radiator by putting the cap on then top off the tank. Next squeeze the top hose a few times and you will see air escape out the reserve tank, then drive the vehicle see if it overheats then when you get home if it didn't over heat or seems to be a little hotter than usual just go home let the radiator cool for a couple hours then slowly open the radiator cap to let the air out then put the cap on and top off the reserve tank if needed.

This usually works well for me makes things quick cause I have had so many air locks especially since I have a conversion van and well it has rear heat so their are two heater hoses running like 15 feet to the back of the vehicle to the rear heater core. So anyways just try that it works out for the best.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: white
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:199
Ryank has a spectacular aura aboutRyank has a spectacular aura about

Yeah what you need to do is fill up the radiater with 50/50 until you cant anymore, and then let the vehicle run, you'll be able to tell when the t stat opens, and then you can put more in, thats what i did, when i put the water pump on my truck!