DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

And also after a certain amount of time all materials will basically reach the same temperature...so if you have plastic pipe, it may take 15 minutes to reach say what 130 deg F or so, but with aluminum it would only take 10 minutes to reach the same temperature... I think there would be no real difference...

Just my opinion.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:11 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CrewCab
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:92
KRAZYK will become famous soon enough

One other issue with using header wrap is that in order for it to "cure" properly it needs alot of heat from the tubing its wraping.. basicly needs to be baked on. I dont think intake tubing is going to be near hot enough for that to happen.
SuperChips FlashPaq | 6000K HIDs Hi/Low | custom DIY intake | CherryBomb Glasspack | Daystar 2.5" Leveling Kit + Bilstein Shocks | 5% tint front and back | smoked tail lights and 3rd light | Pioneer AVH-P3200 2DIN + SIRIUS tuner | Reverse Camera | Kicker ZX700.5 | Kicker S10L5 sub in a FoxBox
Old 08-16-2011, 04:14 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^ good point didn't think about that

Old 08-19-2011, 11:55 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT BigHorn
Color: Husker Red
Rep:10
bigredtruck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYK View Post
One other issue with using header wrap is that in order for it to "cure" properly it needs alot of heat from the tubing its wraping.. basicly needs to be baked on. I dont think intake tubing is going to be near hot enough for that to happen.

Heat gun. And I agree with the pipe heat issue. all that matters is the temp of the air entering the induction system. a CAI is any intake that pulls in air from OUTSIDE the engine bay. Most cars come like this with the airbox pulling in air from the fender or bumper. most people think a CAI is just a cool chrome pipe and a cone filter. The factory airbox is actually a decent setup. all you really need to do is upgrade the piping for better flow. of course, a cone filter sure looks and sounds a heck of alot better
Old 08-19-2011, 10:16 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram QCSB 4.7L
Color: Light Almond Pearl
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:30
RumbleRam is on a distinguished road

sorry guys i haven't been on inforever ive been working non-stop, i just my custom tune pcm today going to put that in also the dyno we got in school last spring is now up and running i just started school back up and im in emission class and teach wants to put my gas gussler on the dyno to test load emissions and also to see the power gains..so hopefully soon i'll be getting back with vids and pics and stuff and junk lol
Old 08-19-2011, 11:10 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
Rep:25
bombadillo is on a distinguished road

No, you guys are right, the header wrap wouldn't make a huge difference, but any gain is better than none and for the amount you'd spend on it, probably worth it.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
No, you guys are right, the header wrap wouldn't make a huge difference, but any gain is better than none and for the amount you'd spend on it, probably worth it.
I've never actually used the stuff myself, but isn't header wrap really expensive? Like probably $50-$100 just to do a couple foot long intake tune?

Old 08-20-2011, 11:33 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
Rep:25
bombadillo is on a distinguished road

Not really. We use it on rat rods all the time for the look alone. Usually white and we try to "dinge" it up a bit and make it look good and used.

"The rats"
Old 08-21-2011, 07:11 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CrewCab
Color: Black
Rep:92
KRAZYK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I've never actually used the stuff myself, but isn't header wrap really expensive? Like probably $50-$100 just to do a couple foot long intake tune?
Not really, I payed $30 shipped for some for my CBR 1000RR's exhaust and wrapped a good 4 or 5 feet of pipe in thick overlaps. But again.. I dont think there is any reason to do anything like this to intake tubing.
SuperChips FlashPaq | 6000K HIDs Hi/Low | custom DIY intake | CherryBomb Glasspack | Daystar 2.5" Leveling Kit + Bilstein Shocks | 5% tint front and back | smoked tail lights and 3rd light | Pioneer AVH-P3200 2DIN + SIRIUS tuner | Reverse Camera | Kicker ZX700.5 | Kicker S10L5 sub in a FoxBox
Old 10-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram quad cab
Color: blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:17
turborich is on a distinguished road

You are going to be sucking up hot engine air into that intake which will hurt performance. You need to get the air filter out of the engine bay or build a baffle box. All of those bends won't help you either.

Just so you know, You can heat & bend PVC pipe. Just take a propane torch, not a little hand held one but one that connects to a 30 lb tank. Slowly heat the entire pipe up & it will become pliable, then you can bend it & when it cools it will stay. That's how electricians bend PVC conduit. Then you can paint it & it won't have any elbows & will have a very clean look to it.