DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 2500 ext cab long bed
Trim Level: sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:77
67Polara will become famous soon enough
Default injector seals ? and steering play

was talking to a guy about buyin his 24V its an 01 with 200K on it trans rebuild new ball joints and steering box.

he says the injector seals are seeping and he has the seals to fix it, im wondering how hard of a job it is to do or how much it could possibly run me to have it done by a mechanic.

he also said there is a small amount of play in the steering when you turn right, said it was steering gromits. does that sounds plausable ? how costly of a job does that sound like ?

also has an edge tuner on it, dunno if there good or bad he said that someone told him they arnt good for the truck so he runs is on stock.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

I don't have an answer so, it's time to .................... this back to the top! If the price is right and you have the skills it might be a good project truck.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 1993-1993 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp 325lb/ft
Rep:10
RAM3QRTTON4X4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Polara View Post
was talking to a guy about buyin his 24V its an 01 with 200K on it trans rebuild new ball joints and steering box.

he says the injector seals are seeping and he has the seals to fix it, im wondering how hard of a job it is to do or how much it could possibly run me to have it done by a mechanic.

he also said there is a small amount of play in the steering when you turn right, said it was steering gromits. does that sounds plausable ? how costly of a job does that sound like ?

also has an edge tuner on it, dunno if there good or bad he said that someone told him they arnt good for the truck so he runs is on stock.
For your injector seal question they are copper washers that seals them. little time consuming if your doing it for the first time but very easy. I recommend picking up a haynes or chiltons to get you through it.
As for you Edge tuner, its a upgrade, it simply gives you more hp. Depending on which tuner it is, you can adjust levels on it, like towing, drive, milage, race and extreme. Its a ok tuner, not the best but one of the upper brands.
So yeah sure you can hurt your truck by setting it on the highest level and beating on it, you could go through a trans, your VP pump, ect. But i suggest before you start putting it on upper levels, get your trans built by Goerend suncoast, or any other high performance companys. (Goerend is my fav, had a few for several trucks built by him)

Oh and make sure its not the 53 block, if it is its up to you, i wouldnt throw any upgrades on it then.
its very common for the block to crack on the 53. check you block on the drivers side and see if you see the number 53 stamped into it.
Hope this helped
Nick