DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Blue
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
JLash87 is on a distinguished road
Default Lag in throttle?

So my Truck (2000 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Magnum) started having a fairly heavy lag in the acceleration. What I mean by this is when push down on the gas from a complete stop the engine seems to rev up just fine, but the truck seems to lag in picking up speed. This started happening shortly this evening while on my way home from my sister in laws house and seems to be doing it constantly when accelerating from stop to go.

Im going to change out the fuel filter tomorrow and check the plugs and wires, but if anyone else has any ideas then let me know please.
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2011, 12:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLash87 View Post
So my Truck (2000 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Magnum) started having a fairly heavy lag in the acceleration. What I mean by this is when push down on the gas from a complete stop the engine seems to rev up just fine, but the truck seems to lag in picking up speed. This started happening shortly this evening while on my way home from my sister in laws house and seems to be doing it constantly when accelerating from stop to go.

Im going to change out the fuel filter tomorrow and check the plugs and wires, but if anyone else has any ideas then let me know please.
Yea this is more of a transmission and intake issue first order of business would be to clean the throttle body it is known to lag when they are dirty so get some carb cleaner and clean out all that dirt and fuel varnish and be sure to clean the IAC Valve. Next step would be to have the bands adjusted if you haven't within the last 30K miles.

Lastly this is some information if you are going to accelerate and want to accelerate well I recommend you turn off the OD for this, when you accelerate with OD on then the truck is driving with a gear of a low ratio similar to that of differentials the lower the ratio the better MPG however you loose the ability to haul weight so OD is mainly a fuel saving gear and that's it, when OD is off you are driving with higher ratios which means yea less fuel savings but you can haul more weight, this being said you can have better pickup when trying to pass if you turn OD off. Their should be a switch to turn it off. Don't drive on the highway with OD off at higher speeds because the engine will begin to overheat, usually drive 55-65 on the highway if you have OD off you can turn it off for short periods of time to pass people but don't drive to long with it off at high speeds cause you will see that temperature gauge increase quickly.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Ty, I will clean the throttle first chance I get. Also ty for the inofo on the OD, ill have to check to make sure its on, its possible my wife clicked it on when shifting into gear at some point and I never noticed it.

Also when u say adjust the bands, what exactly do you mean?
Old 08-22-2011, 12:42 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Ty, I will clean the throttle first chance I get. Also ty for the inofo on the OD, ill have to check to make sure its on, its possible my wife clicked it on when shifting into gear at some point and I never noticed it.

Also when u say adjust the bands, what exactly do you mean?
When ever you turn the vehicle on, OD is automatically turned on and doesn't engauge until the engine temperature has reached 65F and the vehicle is traveling at a speed of 35MPG or more.

The switch for OD is to turn it off NOT on.
Well I don't want to get to technical about bands because if I was you would be so confused so to make it simple, if the bands are in need of adjustment then the transmission can slip or have slow engaugement into gear, along with it slipping while in gear under heavy strain. The kickdown band which is used to activate 2nd gear and on some transmissions 3rd gear is used when you need to pass someone at high speeds or need the acceleration basically, when you are traveling at high speeds in high gear lets say 3rd gear and you floor it to pass someone the transmission's valve body applies force onto the kickdown lever which then applies force to the kickdown band note that the lever has a ratio lets say the ratio is 3 to 1 then for every 1 pound of force applied onto the lever the lever will deliver 3 times that to the band, the purpose of this is that the kickdown band will squeeze onto the reverse drum and the transmission will kickdown from 3rd gear to 2nd gear so you can accelerate at higher RPM's. The reason for this is that transmissions experience alot of wear in higher gears then lower gears especially at higher RPM's that why the transmission would be kicked down to 2nd gear from the higher gear if you open the throttle enough, thats when the TPS sensor comes into play on the throttle body. But anyways, bands should be adjusted every 12K miles if you tow frequently, if you don't tow frequently and just drive regularly then you should adjust the bands between 30-50K miles depending on situations such as geography if you live in a mountain area then 30K would be best but if you live someplace and drive freeway mostly then 50K is perfect. Also be sure to have the transmission fluid flushed every so often I would recommend every 50K miles, transmission fluid is a friction modifier which means it aids in ware of transmission components and the friction material on the bands and plates. This modifier brakes down over time from temperature and use. Just a note many manufactures of transmission fluid say full synthetic such as Valvoline ATF+4 which is what I use, but all chrysler transmission fluid is synthetic, transmission fluid used to made of whale oils but hasn't been since the 70's. I can't speak for other transmission fluids such as Merc and Dex because I don't know much about them, I know that transmission fluid made specifically for chrysler transmissions is the highest in friction modification, so ATF for Chrysler is better then Merc or Dex. Just be sure to use ATF+4, manuals for older cars say ATF+3 but ATF+3 has been discontinued for some time now and ATF+4 is a direct replacement. ATF+4 can also be mixed with ATF+3.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
When ever you turn the vehicle on, OD is automatically turned on and doesn't engauge until the engine temperature has reached 65F and the vehicle is traveling at a speed of 35MPG or more.

The switch for OD is to turn it off NOT on.
Well I don't want to get to technical about bands because if I was you would be so confused so to make it simple, if the bands are in need of adjustment then the transmission can slip or have slow engaugement into gear, along with it slipping while in gear under heavy strain. The kickdown band which is used to activate 2nd gear and on some transmissions 3rd gear is used when you need to pass someone at high speeds or need the acceleration basically, when you are traveling at high speeds in high gear lets say 3rd gear and you floor it to pass someone the transmission's valve body applies force onto the kickdown lever which then applies force to the kickdown band note that the lever has a ratio lets say the ratio is 3 to 1 then for every 1 pound of force applied onto the lever the lever will deliver 3 times that to the band, the purpose of this is that the kickdown band will squeeze onto the reverse drum and the transmission will kickdown from 3rd gear to 2nd gear so you can accelerate at higher RPM's. The reason for this is that transmissions experience alot of wear in higher gears then lower gears especially at higher RPM's that why the transmission would be kicked down to 2nd gear from the higher gear if you open the throttle enough, thats when the TPS sensor comes into play on the throttle body. But anyways, bands should be adjusted every 12K miles if you tow frequently, if you don't tow frequently and just drive regularly then you should adjust the bands between 30-50K miles depending on situations such as geography if you live in a mountain area then 30K would be best but if you live someplace and drive freeway mostly then 50K is perfect. Also be sure to have the transmission fluid flushed every so often I would recommend every 50K miles, transmission fluid is a friction modifier which means it aids in ware of transmission components and the friction material on the bands and plates. This modifier brakes down over time from temperature and use. Just a note many manufactures of transmission fluid say full synthetic such as Valvoline ATF+4 which is what I use, but all chrysler transmission fluid is synthetic, transmission fluid used to made of whale oils but hasn't been since the 70's. I can't speak for other transmission fluids such as Merc and Dex because I don't know much about them, I know that transmission fluid made specifically for chrysler transmissions is the highest in friction modification, so ATF for Chrysler is better then Merc or Dex. Just be sure to use ATF+4, manuals for older cars say ATF+3 but ATF+3 has been discontinued for some time now and ATF+4 is a direct replacement. ATF+4 can also be mixed with ATF+3.
Ok, I get what you saying about the bands, the whole transmission was rebuilt a little less then 4 years ago and I know hasnt had that many miles put on it.

As for the OD thing, I guess im not fully understanding what your saying but maybe I am (Im used to cars where you can switch the OD off and leave it off) So what your saying is even if you switch it off, turn the truck off, then restart the OD is defaulted to on just not engaged?

I am going to get some carb cleaner and attempt to clean the throttle body and IAC
Old 08-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

IF you have a throttle body
i would use throttle body cleaner

also buy a can of SEA FOAM,
http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-u...treatment.html

(personally i wouldn't use it in the crankcase, but its your choice)
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 08-22-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Ok, I get what you saying about the bands, the whole transmission was rebuilt a little less then 4 years ago and I know hasnt had that many miles put on it.

As for the OD thing, I guess im not fully understanding what your saying but maybe I am (Im used to cars where you can switch the OD off and leave it off) So what your saying is even if you switch it off, turn the truck off, then restart the OD is defaulted to on just not engaged?

I am going to get some carb cleaner and attempt to clean the throttle body and IAC
OD is on by default, if you turn it off using the switch it is off but the next time you start the vehicle it starts as default with the OD on.

Usually rebuilt transmissions have problems down the road mainly because many rebuilders don't always replace the cheap 20 dollars worth of bushings and seals one seal many people forget to replace is the shifter seal. Another mistake rebuilders make is replace hard parts washers that have been worn, the reason this is a mistake is because when the transmission has worn a bit and you replace a part that modifies the spacing and play of the input shaft, output shaft, and intermediate shaft their is a problem. Sometimes though you get a good rebuilder who can bullet proof the transmission.

I like to use value craft carb cleaner it works great very good at removing the gunk. It's cheap too! I have never had any problems with it.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
IF you have a throttle body
i would use throttle body cleaner

also buy a can of SEA FOAM,
http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-u...treatment.html

(personally i wouldn't use it in the crankcase, but its your choice)
You don't have to use throttle body cleaner with these throttle bodies, I have cleaned numerous bodies for the magnum engine, I have used many cleaners and can pledge to the cheap value craft carb cleaner that it works well and does no harm to the electronic components.

Seafoam is good in the crank. I influenced a friend to use it to clean up the residual sludge from a engine that had a coolant leak. Well long story short, the trucks drives like it was at prime. However different people have different experiences. I used seafoam on my engine just for the hell of it because the engine had sat for many years without being started. It doesn't do much harm. But like you said it's his car so his choice. Anyways I don't like to use TB cleaner on TB's for certain reasons one is usually synthetic cleaners were cheapy carb cleaner is basically a paint tinner which won't cause harm to an engine.