DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default Possible Hydrolock??

To start off i have an 04 ram hemi 5.7 with a cold air intake...filter beside the rad....if i would have know how bad these engine were for water intake i wouldnt have installed this...but anyways heres the story wondering if anyone knows wut is going on?

I drove into the mud pit and there was mabye foot or two of water only came up to the bottom of the doors if that on the passenger side not even half way on the drivers side...so as soon as i hit the water the truck jsut stopped. I didnt try starting it as i jsut blew an engine like 4 weeks ago due to hydro locking, so we pulled it out and then two days later changed the oil, and tried rolling it over and it did but then came to a point were it locked but i ddint hold the key forward was jsut bumping it. So we took the plugs out and then did it againa nd it would roll over but everytime came to a point where it made a noise and was siezed it did however seem to blow out all the water in the cylinders jsut cant get by that point under the pwoer of the starter only by hand. If you went underneath with a breaker bar you couldnt even turn it over by hand but if u turned it back like have a turn the opposite way then you could go back the right waya nd keep turning the crank as many times as u want and then we tried it with the key and same thing happend we bump it like 4 times then it hit that point of lock... I took the starter off today it wasnt wet or looking siezed at all and when i took it off i still couldnt turn the crank with the bar the right way unless i went backwards some and then the right way again? Now an engine builder i know is telling me if something was bent i shouldnt be able to turn it all the way over by hand, and another mechanic thinks mabye the timimg is off or and the chain jumped teeth...

SO wondering if anyone knows what i should do next since i cant see it being a complete rebuild at this point in time hopefully jsut soemthing stupid mabye the timing or soemthing....so if you know anything please help me and yes i got rid of the intake and put stock box back on sicne i like to go offroad...i didnt realize all the hemis were bad for water intake with the CAI on....

so help is appreciated....thanks

Jordan.
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2009, 10:33 PM

Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

So tonight we stuck a piece of hard hose in each cylinder and it appears the front drivers side piston is not moving when you turn it over by hand, and all the rest are the only one we can seem to get to is the back driver side but for right now the driver side front piston doesnt appear to be moving... mabye this can help if someone knows anything.

thanks.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: '96 V10 4X4 2500 QC
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:10
96-V10 is on a distinguished road

Bummer!
You probably threw a rod or broke the crank.
I hope I'm wrong!
Old 05-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 crew cab
Trim Level: slt
Color: bright silver
Rep:22
red041500 is on a distinguished road

id agree , sounds like you snapped a rod and it only turns over so far cause the broke end is hanging up in the lower end.. pull the pan down. if you had water coming outta the plug holes than id say your motor is toast.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:27 PM
erm

Dang...it sounds like it really got locked up and you might have either a bent or broken rod to me as well.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Did you shine a light into the number one spark plug hole to confirm the piston is not moving? If indeed it is not, then yeah, rebuild is next. If it is moving, I would try Marvel Mystery Oil. I have brought more than one junkyard find back to life with that stuff.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:56 AM

So my mechanic that put it in 3 weeks ago said he is going to play along and say it had no water in it and just blew the rod since i just had the engine isntalled and it was from a junkyard, so i guess 3rd times a charm haha i will defiantly be removing the intake though do not want to go through this again....

Though the mechanic said the rod could have been going or weak sicne it sat in a junkyard and dried out inside and then the water just put that much more pressure on it to blow it cause it blew on a down stroke so if it was all because of water it would have been on the up stroke. So we will see what happens haha have a new engine put in and try our luck for the third time...