DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-01-2011, 03:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: white
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:60
rbyrne7 will become famous soon enough
Default Painting Bumpers

hey everyone, i have a white st so i have those ugly grey bumpers.. im lookin to paint them white to match my truck. does anyone know the process to doing this? should i do it myself? or just pay someone to do it.. Let me know!

thanks,
ryan
Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:184
ORT has a spectacular aura aboutORT has a spectacular aura about

Is the st bumper plastic? I painted my srt front bumper myself and it wasn't too difficult of a process. If you go to paintscratch you can get cans of color match paint in exact factory colors. Just make sure you prep it well before starting.
Sidewinder Cam/Edge Converter/Pacesetter LT's/SCT&SC Stack/Hemifever Tune/BFI #32/20% UD Pulley/Fastman TB/Triple Pillar/1 TonCooler/Sonnax/E-Cutout/Venom Hood/SRT Bumper/Roll Pan/HID's/Aeroforce Wideband/E-Fan/Hellwig/2" Drop/170 Stat/D&S Rotors/Remote Start/Hella 500's/5% Tint/Black Everything
Old 09-01-2011, 11:10 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^ what he said, it's mainly all about prep. Painting is alot more labor than people realize, alot of sanding. Best would probably be to have someone (reputable) do it if you have zero experience. If you're handy and willing to take the time though you can do it, even without "proper" equipment, a rattle can job will hold up decent and look good.

Basic steps are:
It's best to remove the bumper and do the work in your garage/shop/shed/whatever. Try to block off your work area from dust/debri/etc.
Wet sand bumper making sure to roughen all surfaces evenly
Clean the surface (and your hands!) well, I like to use mineral spirits or similar, then water mixed with dawn dish soap.
I usually wipe dry with a clean, oil free rag.
Wipe with a "tack" cloth to pickup and dust/lint
I like to "preheat" the part before painting also with a heat gun or blowdryer, I found this helps bond
Prime in thin, even layers
Repeat steps for paint and clearcoat if you wish to clearcoat
The only thing to skip in the following steps is don't use mineral spirits or similar, it will screw up the paint/primer. Just use the dish soap/water.

To do a proper job that'll be durable and look good I would plan on spreading out the painting over a whole weekend to give it some time to cure a little between coats. Also be careful immediately afterwards the paint will be "soft" until it's cured. If you can cure it with heat somehow that greatly helps durability.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Vehicle: 1999 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: baja/prerunner
Color: white w/ barbed wire & dents
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:192
mr.lopar has a spectacular aura aboutmr.lopar has a spectacular aura about

go to a paint shop and get yourself a can of wax & grease remover to clean the part your painting
Old 09-01-2011, 12:40 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
go to a paint shop and get yourself a can of wax & grease remover to clean the part your painting
Dawn is cheap and works just as well...I've always used it and I have a couple paint jobs that are several years old and held up fine and look great. Dawn is a great degreaser, I found that it even works better than gojo and similar products on greasy hands.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:54 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ Agreed. I use Dawn on all my pieces, and when I used to build model cars prior to painting them. Works very well.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:13 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
rinnels69 is on a distinguished road

Prep work is the key. Use a sanding block with 400 grit, especially for the flat surfaces. Once you get the "gloss" off, you should be ready for primer. Just don't go through the factory paint! Go to R & E Paint Supply (online). They sell an epoxy primer that you activate just before your ready to prime. They also sell factory matched colors, but here is the kicker: They sell a clear coat that also has the hardener in it---the clear (SprayMax 2K) and the epoxy primer (2K Epoxy Primer) come in a can that has a special cap that you remove, place on the bottom of the can, push down, and this will release the hardener or activator for the clear or epoxy. You have 24 hrs for the clear and up to 4 days for the epoxy before it becomes unusable. I'm getting ready to "re-paint" my new hoodscoop (the paint job wasn't the greatest, but I'm kinda anal about putting "OK" things on my vehicles) and have used similar products in the past and they work great. If you are good with a rattle can, go for it !!! As for degreaser/wax remover, most auto parts store that sell spray paint will have degreaser in a can (I picked one up last week) and definetly get a new tack cloth...they are cheap (a buck or 2) insurance.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: white
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:60
rbyrne7 will become famous soon enough

thanks for the help guys. the bumpers are steel i think. i will keep you all updated on whether i do it or not