DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 96 dodge ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: slt
Color: red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
obsidian231 is on a distinguished road
Default my 318 surges bad!

I own a 96 dodge ram 1500 318 4x4 ext. last week it has started to surge really bad trying to get up to speed on the highway or any time really. If i gradually speed up i notice it but it's still there. If i try to kick it down or get on it just a little to get up to speed it's really bad. It happens at any speed no matter if 0-30 or 50-60. It's kind of like i'm hitting the gas then the brake or like trying to hop the front end even though my foot stays at the same position on the pedal. the rpms just swings back and forth as i'm accelerating . It does not fluctuate rpm's or have any problems in neutral when revving or idling or starting at all. I checked codes with the key engine light twice and this is what came up... 12-21-77-56. it should be 55 i know but checked twice and says code 56. 77 i found to be speed sensor relay circuit .could that cause what i'm experiencing? and where is it located? even though most books don't show code 77 that's what i could find on it. Anybody know what i can look at to try to figure this out? Also today i noticed my fuel pump is making a surging sound. Instead of being a constant fuel pump whine it still sounds the same but like it's being turned on and off repeatedly when the truck is idling. noticed it today when i was parked next to a car and heard it. oxygen sensor code 21 i believe but that is because my cat is gutted so not worried about that right now. What would also cause the fuel pump to surge? I put a whole new fuel pump assembly in about 5-6 yrs ago. I'm guessing the fuel pump surge has to do with the drive ability problem but not sure.

Last edited by obsidian231; 08-30-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 08-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Does anybody have any ideas? I was hoping to work on it today to see if i can fix it. thanks.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:74
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Failing fuel pump, bad fuel pump shutdown relay, failing ignition pickup, failing PCM. Clogged fuel filter.
Failed intake belly pan gasket. Basically, something's failing. Also, check your vacuum lines. A leak would cause this as well.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I already checked the vacuum lines and all were good that i could see. moving more toward the fuel pump assembly since it's variable and not a constant normal speed. The pump speed varies when it's idling and believe it is what's happening when i drive.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

My vote goes to the fuel filter being used up, when I lost a fuel pump, the engine really wacked out, sneezing out of both ends, about a 98% reduction in power, very intermittent.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: `98 Dodge Ram1500 Ext Cab
Color: 2 tone
DSwan is on a distinguished road

I would replace the fuel filter before doing anything else about fuel pump noise. If you heard this at idle it could very well be that the pump doesnt have to run constantly to keep up pressure.
As for the revving at speed, I tore my hair out for months trying to find the cause when my '98 was doing it that. I finally put the ohm meter to my TPS and found it to be bad (not a smooth change in resistance from open to closed). $50 later the problem with mine disappeared, never to be heard from again.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSwan View Post
I would replace the fuel filter before doing anything else about fuel pump noise. If you heard this at idle it could very well be that the pump doesnt have to run constantly to keep up pressure.
As for the revving at speed, I tore my hair out for months trying to find the cause when my '98 was doing it that. I finally put the ohm meter to my TPS and found it to be bad (not a smooth change in resistance from open to closed). $50 later the problem with mine disappeared, never to be heard from again.
Its not revving at speed it's like the motor isn't getting enough gas and surges back and forth up to speed when i keep my foot constant on the pedal. the rpm's drop atleast 2-300 then jump to what they should be then rpm's drop and go back up it does this constantly as i am accelerating until i let off the pedal at the desired speed i want to be at. As of now it's getting better but when i kick it down to passing gear or hard accelerate you can tell the motor is bogging and is not running optimal or lack of fuel flow. It's not the air cleaner or restricted flow and not the cat because that is gutted out. the exhaust goes from gutted cat into cherry bomb muff then splits to dual exhaust. As for the fuel pump rpm's surging it has never done this before so that's why i think it's the fuel pump. From what i understand is i cannot buy a replacement fuel filter because it's incorporated into the fuel pump assembly but i'll do some looking for parts. I can buy just the fuel pump kit to replace the pump and sock for $25 so might do that if i have to drop the tank. I have done the same thing on a caravan before and has been trouble free for 2 yrs so far.