DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

You could run power directly from the battery but use a relay tapped off a switched circuit. This way it will handle the power and there is no chance of running the battery down by accidentally leaving the CB on.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 09-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:83
Drake371 will become famous soon enough

I was just about to suggest that, a small dc relay won't get too hot to be air cooled either.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2589
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

On my last truck i ran a Uniden PC78XL
I ran a #10 Red wire from the ignition battery post to a Ford Style Remote Mount Solenoid that was mounted under the hood & high on the firewall. I ran another wire from it into a mini fuse block, capable of holding 3 glass type fuses, easier to see if they were blown.
I only used 2 of the 3 fuses, 1 for the rotating lights & the other for the cb radio, i ran the wiring under the carpeting. I used Nylon Fully Insulated Crimp type, push on male & female connectors, i put them on both the radio & the wiring from the fuse block. I used 1 male & 1 female on the 2 radio wires & the same on the wires from the fuse block. I made sure that the hot wire could not be accidentally be plugged into ground connector
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-09-2011, 06:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:37
DadzDodge is on a distinguished road

I would try a "fuse tap" which you can find at most auto parts stores. I have two that I bought at Advance Auto. If the link below doesn't work, go to the Advance web site and search on "fuse tap". These devices are rated at 10 amps maximum, but that's plenty for most applications unless you're running a lot of power. It's plenty for my 2m rig and my 50 watt HF rig, but check your CB radio's power requirements to be sure.

To use the fuse tap the way you want to use it, where the CB can only get power when the ignition key is on, go to your fuse box and find a circuit that is only powered when the key is on. Pull that fuse and put it in the appropriate slot on the fuse tap. Now put another fuse in your fuse tap, and this 2nd fuse will be the one that protects your CB. Now it's time to connect the hot wire to your CB. On the side of the fuse tap you'll see a red wire -- connect this to the hot wire going to your CB. Now plug the fuse tap into the fuse box from where you had pulled the fuse a few minutes ago. With the fuse tap in place, the circuit you selected is once again protected, plus you now have power to your CB.

A couple of things to note - if you don't get power to your CB, the fuse tap is installed upside down. Unplug it from the fuse box, flip it 180 degrees, and plug it back in. Also, be aware of current ratings. You don't want to exceed the rated capacity of the fuse tap, which is typically 10 amps (check the package to be sure). And as you already know, never replace a fuse with one that is made for a higher current rating than the one being replaced.

The other guys are right -- the best way to get your power is to go straight to the battery, with fuses on both the hot and ground connections. But for relatively low current applications of 10 amps or less, it's been my experience that the fuse tap works fine. I just hope you don't get ignition noise since you're using AM or SSB.

Good luck and 73!

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_ATC-Fuse-Tap-Bussmann_5170038-P_N4017D_A%7CGRP2020A_____

Last edited by DadzDodge; 09-09-2011 at 06:06 AM.