DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Larmie
Rep:10
Rustymax is on a distinguished road
Default Dark Cherry 1st wax

I have ordered my 2012 Dark Cherry Quad Cab Laramie and now beginning to think about detailing the finish. I plan on debadging right away then applying a good wax job; any recommendations as to how to get the best finish? What are the proper steps for a 1st time waxing? Do I need to clay bar? What wax (brand) will bring out the richest shine to this color? Previously always buying used, this is my 1st new vehicle.

Thanks - Rustymax

Last edited by Rustymax; 09-01-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: text size
Sponsored links
Old 09-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

These are some of my suggestions. Everyone has their own way of doing things, so you will probably get lots of different information. "Leadfootluke" is kinda our resident expert on detailing so if he chimes in I would listen closely to what he suggests. I suggest you clay bar your truck first, that will insure you are working with a "clean" surface. Now--polishes, waxes and sealants--you should go to autopia.org and read the information they have regarding polishes, waxes and sealants. They all do a different job. The type of wax or sealant you chose will be your choice however remember that the typical wax only last for about 4-6 weeks, whereas a sealant will last about 6 months. You can buy a quality product from places like autopia or you can go to a big box store and get an off the shelf popular brand name. When making your decision please remember that just cause your truck is shiney doesn't necessarily mean the the finish is protected. It really boils down to how much time your willing to spend and how often you want to have to apply your wax choice. My choices are Zanio sealant topped with Collinite 915. That combination typically last for about 6-8 months althought I do it every three months. Remember everyone has their own routine with their own choice of products----and they all know they are right---LOL
Jay
Old 09-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Larmie
Rep:10
Rustymax is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replay. I'll be sure to check out autopia.org.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:46 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

yes leadfootluke gave me some good advice as well I'd listen to him.

I just used nu finish on my truck and while I don't know much about this stuff it says its a polish, not a wax, and says it lasts a year. It looks great and it feels slick to the touch, I'll probably try to do it about twice a year.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:58 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustymax View Post
I have ordered my 2012 Dark Cherry Quad Cab Laramie and now beginning to think about detailing the finish. I plan on debadging right away then applying a good wax job; any recommendations as to how to get the best finish? What are the proper steps for a 1st time waxing? Do I need to clay bar? What wax (brand) will bring out the richest shine to this color? Previously always buying used, this is my 1st new vehicle.

Thanks - Rustymax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
These are some of my suggestions. Everyone has their own way of doing things, so you will probably get lots of different information. "Leadfootluke" is kinda our resident expert on detailing so if he chimes in I would listen closely to what he suggests. I suggest you clay bar your truck first, that will insure you are working with a "clean" surface. Now--polishes, waxes and sealants--you should go to autopia.org and read the information they have regarding polishes, waxes and sealants. They all do a different job. The type of wax or sealant you chose will be your choice however remember that the typical wax only last for about 4-6 weeks, whereas a sealant will last about 6 months. You can buy a quality product from places like autopia or you can go to a big box store and get an off the shelf popular brand name. When making your decision please remember that just cause your truck is shiney doesn't necessarily mean the the finish is protected. It really boils down to how much time your willing to spend and how often you want to have to apply your wax choice. My choices are Zanio sealant topped with Collinite 915. That combination typically last for about 6-8 months althought I do it every three months. Remember everyone has their own routine with their own choice of products----and they all know they are right---LOL
Jay
That's right Jay. To the OP, clay first as there is probably rail dust and environmental contaminants on the finish. Wash the paint really well and prep it by spraying a 1:1 mixture of Isopropyl Alcohol and water and wiping it dry, this prepares the surface. Apply a wax or sealant of choice. The shine on the finish come from about 10% product and 90% technique. Wash the paint with 2 buckets, one for rinse water and one for soap. Dry it with the least amount of contact as possible and with a drying aid [quick detailer, quick wax, etc] too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
yes leadfootluke gave me some good advice as well I'd listen to him.

I just used nu finish on my truck and while I don't know much about this stuff it says its a polish, not a wax, and says it lasts a year. It looks great and it feels slick to the touch, I'll probably try to do it about twice a year.
Thank you! Here is the thread where I posted.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=91348
Old 09-09-2011, 03:04 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Just a comment....I find this common sense but many people don't realize this: Most swirl marks or fine scratches on your paint come from things like leaning on it with your clothes, brushing up against it with something (backpack, etc...) and this sort of thing...When there is a layer of dirt or dust on the car(which is just about always) and it is dry(no water=no lubricant) when you rub something on it it rubs the dirt/dust across the paint, sort of "sanding" it. My dad taught me this when I was very young, never lean on a car, and always use the door handles.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:17 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Just a comment....I find this common sense but many people don't realize this: Most swirl marks or fine scratches on your paint come from things like leaning on it with your clothes, brushing up against it with something (backpack, etc...) and this sort of thing...When there is a layer of dirt or dust on the car(which is just about always) and it is dry(no water=no lubricant) when you rub something on it it rubs the dirt/dust across the paint, sort of "sanding" it. My dad taught me this when I was very young, never lean on a car, and always use the door handles.
Good points. *most* swirls come from washing technique and drying, BUT, most of the visible scratches and marks you see are from exactly what your described, Your hands are like 4k grit sandpaper and will leave marks when you move it across the paint, to which the damage is compounded when there is any bit of dirt on the finish.