DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2500 & 1500 laramies
Trim Level: Laramie 4x4
Color: Stone White / Silver
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
pcasso87 is on a distinguished road

I got the replacement bumper installed today, ill post some pics later!! Looks great but i do need the back bumper which is on order.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:21 PM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

Awesome I would hurry up with those pics, we're no the most patient people
Old 04-21-2010, 11:17 PM

Vehicle: Jeep GC WK
Rep:964
hemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to behold

they look cool but the guy who put my brush guard on said if you get into an accident they cause more damage than good
Old 07-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
jasdemer68 is on a distinguished road

whered you find that grill guard & bumper for the ram? the pic lol
Old 07-30-2011, 12:22 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Ram Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:27
unrealtrip is on a distinguished road

I know you already got it... but all steel replacement bumpers weigh a ton and will diminish your load carrying capacity, not to mention weight down your front end. Worth considering.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:46 PM

Vehicle: 02 ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:26
okami89 is on a distinguished road

With the bumper you can not worry if you hit something, the guard... I have seen those fold up on the truck when hit.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Fire Red
Rep:12
skruface is on a distinguished road

The grill guard doesn't protect the bottom corners of your (cheap and flimsy) factory bumper. I *just* smashed the sh*t out of the front drivers corner of my factory bumper (my own fault, hit something at like 4 mph but the mass of the truck caused the bumper to fold up and into the driver's side tire) and there's no way a grill guard would have helped. A bumper replacement would have been unscathed in my case. Also, the replacement bumpers sit up a bit higher from the ground, which would give a little more clearance for your front approach to obstacles. I drive 75% highway with a lot of deer, so for me, the little bit of extra cash on a full HD bumper replacement is a no-brainer. It's not about "if" I hit a deer, it's about "when".

There's a few companies I found that make replacement 4th gen Ram 1500 bumpers:
http://www.goindustries.com/home/go1/smartlist_777
http://peacemakerbumpers.com/Dodge_F...lacements.html
http://www.frontier-gear.com/html/Do...BRGallery.html
http://www.topgunproducts.com/produc...front-bumpers/

I also talked to the service rep from Iron Cross Automotive (I have their HD side steps), and he said in early 2012 they will have a full bumper replacement for the 4th gen Ram.
http://ironcrossautomotive.com/index...d=62&Itemid=74

Personally, I wanted an Iron Bull Bumpers "Shredder" or "Enforcer" bumper, but I think the weight will be too much on the front end unless I get air supports like they use for snowplow blades.

*edit* Iron Bull doesn't list prices on their website, but I got the following email from Cameron Alu @ Iron Bull about my 2011 Ram 1500. I just may pick one up now:

"Hello, (the bumpers weigh) 180 to 260 lbs. , the bigger the bars the heavier it is ,,,the Enforcer is a 400 dollar ad on to the front base bumper and the Carnage is a 600 dollar ad on and the Shredder is a 700 dollar ad on ,,,,,,,,,,now i will tell you about the front base bumper , it will be all made of Deer Splitting 3/16th plate steel and will come ready to install with our black shield paint , all the winch hook ups , the D rings are welded inside and out , also it will have 4 , five inch light hole buckets with a tab so you can install extra lights ,,,,,,,,,,,the normal cost is 1600 plus 350 shipping in the USA but until this Saturday our sale makes the cost 1200 with only 200 dollars in shipping cost in the USA to go right to your House or Business address Plus No Tax in the Continental USA so during our Anniversary sale the front base bumper is only 1400 with shipping and then you ad the cost of the bar that you like and it will take 3 weeks or less to be made and shipped because we make 40 to 50 bumpers a week ,,,,,,,,,,,, thanks and let me know if we can help outfit your truck ,,,,,,,,,,

Cameron Alu
V.P Sales & Marketing
Iron Bull Bumpers
602-400-3868"

Last edited by skruface; 08-31-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:24 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Ram Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:27
unrealtrip is on a distinguished road

FWIW: The problem is that the bumper is part of your impact absorbing crumple zone. If you replace it with an indestructable steel one, all of that kinetic energy from an impact is going to go into your frame. Granted your frame has crimps in it to help it crumple as well, but all the energy the bumper would otherwise have dissipated is now going straight into the passengers.

I'm honestly surprised that replacement bumpers are not DOT regulated. I mean there is no airbag testing, etc, etc.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Fire Red
Rep:12
skruface is on a distinguished road

OK, FWIW I did a BUNCH of research on other forums on the Iron Bull bumpers in my post above. From pics I've seen and user reports in other forums, they seem to look nice, but the welding is crap and there's hardly any reinforcement on the inside. Several owners indicated they felt that Iron Bull uses the spray-on liner material to cover up the crappy workmanship.

*edit* Someone PM'd me for sources on complaints:
http://www.*****************/forums/96...ll-bumper.html
http://www.*****************/forum/e...er-my-lmm.html

Soooooo, in light of that, I just bought myself a Tough Country Deluxe bumper this morning for my '11 Ram 1500 ST. Had to special order it. Cost me $1400 and change, installed, out the door. Ordered it from Shawn at Lignit Tire in Beulah, ND (yeah, I know...I'm in Canada. Driving 8 or 9 hours round trip to the US would actually cost me LESS than international shipping and brokerage). It's not listed on Tough Country's website yet because they just finished R&D on it last month, but the part # is DFR1122D if you contact your local Tough Country dealer.

Here's a link to their website with a lot of pics:
http://www.toughcountry.com/new/sear...luxe_dodge.php

I got mine just with the receiver tube and shackle mounts, as I want to mount my winch (ENGO E9500) in a cradle so I can take it off when I'm tootin' around town and won't need it. I also had mine coated with bedliner, as I do a lot of highway and gravel roads (60 miles round trip 5 days a a week) and want to keep it from getting pitted and rusty.

I was also a little worried about front-end sag with a 200 lb bumper and 100 lb winch + cradle on the front end, so I also picked up some Timbren SES Suspension Helpers for the front which should eliminate any sag when the front end is loaded up.

http://www.timbren.com/timbren-appli...s/DF15004B.pdf

It's gonna take a few weeks for my bumper to get built, so in the meantime, I plan on having some Bilstien 5100's installed while I wait.

Pics when it's installed.

Last edited by skruface; 09-16-2011 at 07:48 PM.