DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-29-2009, 10:20 PM
vvvvsharkvvvv

Question Offset & Backspacing configuration help

Hi, I just bought a 98 Dodge Ram 1500, 4WD. When bought it last fall it had 265/75/18 Dick Creep Bone Crushers on it, and they looked pretty Bad A$$! But, after having plated it, and took it for a ride... I realized WHY I got it so cheap. I bought got it from a spoiled rotten little daddy's girl (LOL) that took it places, that wasn't meant to be taken, in its almost stock condition, and, being female, she didn't keep up on the maintenance issues, from having done so, an I'm assuming she took it off roading, often, from the amount of wood, mud and dents I found in the undercarriage, once I realized, it had been beaten up so badly. Keep in mind, the body, is still in MINT condition!! No dents, and not too many scratches etc etc...

So, Ive pretty much replaced the entire front end now, with greasable Moog Suspension parts and timken bearings etc. an recently having had it aligned...

Also, I recently bought some new Cooper SST 285/75/ 16's, due to the SEVERELY scalloped, Dick Creep Bone Crushers tires on it, having never been rotated, and I'm assuming, that was mostly due to... not being able to get the wheels off, because they hadn't been never seized, when they where put on the truck... (Had to spark up Ole Victor, to cut the studs off!!) What a pita!!

Yesterday, I received the Bushwhacker Pocket Style fender flairs I ordered, to help protect the fender wells/wheel wells, once I do some surface rust repairs, from the large knobby tires having removed allot of the paint. Then I'm going to spray on the case of undercoating I bought last year, for my 06 GTO, before I realized, I would never be able to run the car, here in Northern NY, during the winter, and LIVE!! lol

My problem is... When I had my mother and girlfriend, hold the fender flairs in place, to see what they are going to look like, once this rebuilt is complete, an, well, with the stock 16x7, I'm not seeing the look I was shooting for... GNARLY LOOKING... but, also dependable, so my chick friend can drive it too, when Ive had a few too many, road soda's etc. LOL

I'm not real good with figuring out the backspacing/offset that I'm going to need to have, when ordering some new wheels, to get the tires out where they will look more proportionate on the truck, once I add the fender flairs. The truck does have a 2-3" body lift in it also...

I would like to utilize the 285/16's I just paid $850 for... So my question is... What are my options, as far as backspacing/offset, to get my tires out roughly 3" farther, so that they line up better, with my fender flairs... Ya know... I just want the truck to look right, unlike so many other 4WD owners I'm seeing out there, with their 6" lifts, and running 15x12 wheels, with street tires??

FAIL!

FAIL!

Last edited by vvvvsharkvvvv; 05-29-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Sponsored links