DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-27-2011, 01:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Jeep Wrangler
Trim Level: Unlimited Sport
Color: Bright White
Rep:40
Mudder is on a distinguished road
Default Rattle in dash?

I have got a rattle somewhere in the cab of the new truck. Best I can tell its coming from the center of the dash toward the windshield. I've looked at the center speaker, and things up there and none of those seem to be the culprit. You can hear it when you shut the door and then over any bumps. It's annoying the hell outta me. Wondered if anyone had had similar experiences? I've check the screws on the door panels, made sure it wasnt something in the glove box, seat belts etc. Not sure what else it could be.
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2011, 01:48 AM
erm

Rattles and squeeks are the hardest thing to track down. Make sure your defroster panel is fully seated.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:52 AM

Yeah, checked that and the trim covers on the dash. I don't mind the squeaks every once in a while cause heck, its new, but the rattle is making me lose it. I've got an appointment with the dealer next week but I'd of course like to fix it myself.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:56 AM
erm

Yeah...it's hard to track these down, even for the techs.

Pull your lower dash panel off on the driver's side and make sure your wiring harness and misc. wiring is not banging on the back of a panel.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:58 AM

I'll tell you what it sounds like, cause I knew id heard similar but couldnt put my finger on it. It sounds like a spray paint can, the little steel ball in there when you shake it and then it settles back down to the bottom.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:17 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

If you like me and bound and determined to fix it yourself, then you have to start tearing the dash apart. Start with removing the trim and test for rattle, then the radio, test again, etc...etc. Eventually you will either find the rattle or bring the truck to a non-functional state ....but either way, you will then know how everything comes apart.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 09-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
jonnyriabov is on a distinguished road

The windsheild defrost tubing is in the shape of a T. The foam at the top of the tube where it connects with the vents is put on too low from the factory. Its a real pain to fix. I found the easiest way is to put closed cell foam between the dash and the T shaped vent, the fix only lasts about 6 months before it returns and you need to fix it again.

The best way to tell if this is your problem is the push down on the dash next time you hear it. If the noise goes away, you found it