DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-03-2011, 03:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep water blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:22
Rye0an is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinuminjected View Post
not off the top of my head nope
What a useful reply.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4 Sport
Trim Level: Sport Slat Grey
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:23
Ntimidater is on a distinguished road

So when the new lower tube comes out in November, would it benefit quite a bit to have both fender air and lower air tube together.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:31
11HEM1 is on a distinguished road

Got mine installed this weekend Pic to follow soon
Old 09-12-2011, 01:20 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rye0an View Post
What a useful reply.
it was a bad day ok and your reply isnt much better!!!!!!!!!!
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Old 09-21-2011, 02:55 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Grey
Rep:27
stangd1909 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11HEM1 View Post
Got mine installed this weekend Pic to follow soon

Sweet! How do you like it so far?
Old 09-21-2011, 04:30 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Rep:514
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Here's mine, not even a week old yet, with my own Dual 3" Ram Air feeder tubes

after you do the initial install, loosen all the hose clamps, put a 10" strip of foam rubber pipe insulation near the fender gap
then while pressing the entire box forward to squeeze the joint shut tighten and re-torque your hose clamps.
(a helpers second set of hands makes it easier, but I still managed on my own.)

breaking it down into two post (too many pics LOL!) Started with an extra feeder hose to my Airaid after my Fastman TB upgrade

update:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
I finally got around to installing my Fastman TB,
..and to direct a little extra air to my Airaid I fab'd up a Ram Air feed from the front bumper:
(after I removed the ugly fake plastic grill from my Sports lower bumper, looks better without it anyway)

Stock vs Fastman...
Flex Tube from the hardware store can extend from 9" to 21"
I bought two with a coupler to join them but only needed one.
Held in place with a couple small bungee cords, 5 minute job

Wow what a difference! My Airaid box takes air from the same fender opening as the stock box, and it always seemd a bit limited to me.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 09-21-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:40 PM

BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

from a previous post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
Stock fender opening for CAI is somewhat restricted by the frame and headlight bucket/support
Here's the view from the engine bay with the stock air box removed, and what it looks like from the front with the headlight removed:

This is the natural air path (red line) that all aftermarket CAI (including the stock box) currently use, the green oval marks the approximate direction of top of my flex tube.

Ramming extra air from the Front instead of letting it suck air from below in combo with the Airaid and FastMan feels like a new Beast!
Well now that my Volant is in I have another update...
1st of all, It Looks 10 times better than any other CAI, (IMHO)
and I like that I can pressure wash the engine bay without being concerned about getting the filter element wet.
The tube as a nice smooth arc to it, and the box is positioned toward the fender port instead of 90º like the Airaid.
The powercore filter takes in air from the end, not the sides so its a more direct path to the throttle body now.

install was pretty simple, only about 10 minutes (no engine cover and re-used the Airaid's breather tube) (before pic right)

Pipe insulation installed and pinched to close the slight gap at the fender:

Not being the patient type, I wasn't satisfied to wait for Volants release of their lower scoop in November
...besides our Track closes after the first week in Oct.

So now I have Dual 3" feeder tubes to my air box, one to the stock fender port,
and one directly to the bottom of the Volant box, But BOTH force fed and Ram'd from the front bumper opening.

I know a smooth tube would be better than the ribbed flex tube,
but for now this works and I'm out less than $20 total until the scoop is available.

View from the Bottom looking up (Left tube goes to the air box, Right goes up the fender)

View from below where the tube enters the lower port on the Volant box.

My Butt Dyno tells me this is the Best CAI setup you can do on a 4G Ram.
Official track slips will be available at the end of the month.

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 09-21-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:49 PM

The Airaid, although great due to the shear size of the filter element, is still limited because it still relies on the limited size of the stock fender opening, same as stock.
The reason many people say aftermarket CAI's are not much better than stock (just louder) is because they all share the same limitation...
Airaid, K&N, aFe, AEM and Mopar CAI all share that same small fender opening, lowest common denominator = weak (as well as being open on top)
...at least the stock box with a drop in high flow flat filter is still sealed.

Redirecting air from my front bumper certainly helped force more air toward that opening, but only a single tube used and
my flex tube does not go all the way up...only about 8" up and about 8" short. It doesn't make an actual connection to the box.

Before and after comparison:

The Airaid does not have an additional port at the bottom of the box, and although I considered cutting one in,
the Volant caught my eye since it already has one...and a sealed top ...which I like for the car wash.

Just looking at both systems side by side, you tell the alignment of the tube,
the taller smooth arc of the tube and the positioning/direction of the box in relation to the fender opening that the Volant is a better design.
The powercore filter also takes in air from the end that's pointed directly at the air source.

Now look at the Airaid and follow the number of 90º turns and twists the air has to make just to get to the throttle body from the bumper (about 5-6)

The Volants Powercore filter, designed and manufactured by Donaldson is well known for high flow Diesel applications.
This material is a high-quality synthetic, that won't deteriorate as easily as traditional paper element and cotton/gauze filter media, while also providing vastly improved filtration up to 99.97%. In addition, it's water resistant and never needs oiling. PowerCore® Filtration Technology works by directing air into the front of the filter, where it is channeled into its fluted design. The channels are alternately sealed, allowing air to enter through an open flute and forcing it to exit out an adjacent flute. This allows the air to be filtered in one pass through the filter media with less restriction, allowing clean air to enter your engine for increased airflow and higher filtration efficiency. This technology allows the filter to include a 4 year or 100,000 miles warranty when used in urban conditions.

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 09-21-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:29 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Grey
Rep:27
stangd1909 is on a distinguished road

The Volant looks really nice, can you tell any difference between it and the stock intake?
Old 09-21-2011, 05:49 PM

I haven't ran a stock intake since May 2010, a week after I got the truck lol!
And have gone from stock -> K&N drop in-> Airaid-> modified Airaid -> Volant -> modified Volant. Each was better than the previous.

I also have accumulated a lot more supporting mod's, so it wouldnt be fair to say I've gone from a 15.3 quarter mile to 13.8 on intake alone,,,but its certainly a supporting mod that helped me get there.
I went through three different tuners as well, 3 sets of tires and track test the shyte out of every combo I can imagine.

IMHO, Stock sucks no matter what you're comparing to for aftermarket performance
Intake/Throttle Body/Tuning/Muffler/Y-Pipe/Torque Converter/Tires

I imagine if I tossed the old stock box on now I would be very disappointed.

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 09-21-2011 at 05:51 PM.