DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - SIGS - Special Interest Groups > Military

Notices

Military Special Interest Group for members of all branches of the military, active duty or retired. - Click the badge to the right to request membership>>

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:1337
GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

Thanks for the advice guys! Still have a lot to think about. One of my good buddies' brother is in the air force and he is moving back down here so I'm hoping I can talk to him soon.
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:31 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:851
RockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to RockyRam

I say go for it Dillon! Do which ever one feels the best to you. Just make sure to keep your Ram in a good holding facility.

Have a Gray Ram?? Join the Mineral Gray Metallic Ramz Group!!!
http://www.ramforumz.com/group.php?groupid=21

"Rocky and Bullwinkle"
Old 09-22-2011, 09:45 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

Dillon, I say go for it! I wanted to be a pilot in the worst way when I was your age and when I couldn't get past the officers medical requirements I abandoned the dream. Hardly a day goes by that I don't kick myself. Follow the dream buddy and make it happen!

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:03 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Patriot Blue
Rep:1337
GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump3r View Post
Dillon, I say go for it! I wanted to be a pilot in the worst way when I was your age and when I couldn't get past the officers medical requirements I abandoned the dream. Hardly a day goes by that I don't kick myself. Follow the dream buddy and make it happen!
Thanks man! Makes me really wanna do it hahah.
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:249
CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about

I've been flying in the Navy for just about 10 years now. Like others have said, it's not for everyone but I wouldn't do it any different. I grew up a Navy brat as my dad was a Navy pilot for 26 years and his dad an Army Air Core then Air Force test pilot so maybe it's in my blood.

There haven't been any pay cuts or freezes but some of the signing and resigning bounus have gone away depending on your rate/MOS. It's getting more competitive to get in for both officer and enlisted and also harder to stay for enlisted. The Navy is doing something called Perform To Serve and if you aren't in the top XX% of your rating they don't let you re-up once your commitment runs out. there is more to it and most of it wouldn't make much sense to you but that's about the jist of it.

If you have any questions about the path it takes I'll try to answer the best I can. Navy flight school also trains Coast Guard, Marines and Air Force pilots so I have friends and relatives flying in all the services.

Gabe

Stage 2 is underway by L&M Customs & HHP
Old 09-25-2011, 10:02 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Gabe has the pilot side!!!

I have the enlisted aircrew side! It is definately a great career choice, but it is the MOST competetive field there is. There are more Navy SEALs than enlisted aircrew guys in the Navy.

I love what I do, and my job is just like the Air Force...but better uniforms and other things

My brother is a Flight Engineer in the USAF, he runs all the aircraft systems while the pilots fly, but he is right up front keeping them in check and keeping the airplane safe. Both me and my brother love the enlisted side, but we also both wish we went to college first so we could be driving right now.

SOOOOO.......The enlisted guy says go to college first. You could look into ROTC scholarships to help pay for school, then get commisioned. Let me know if you have any more questions! Good luck on a very tough decision....don't make it lightly!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:07 AM

Vehicle: 2011 CC 2wd
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:26
Lie2me is on a distinguished road

You can't even imagine the opportunities that a tour in the military will give you. Whether you are a grunt or pilot, Airforce or Marines...there are still plenty of folks in this country that truely appreciate that our younger generations are willing to step up and keep us free. I can't write the words to explain how proud I am of my son when he joined the Marines(Yes, I'm biased). My youngest graduates in June, he's contemplating the Airforce too. Go for it, don't look back, you will have no regrets!
--jeff
Old 09-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
ganggreennation is on a distinguished road

Dillon,
You're best bet to becoming a military pilot is the Marine Corps. I commissioned as a 2nd Lt. this past July after attending OCS during my summers in college. The Marine Corps offers three contracts to candidates attending OCS. Ground, Law, and Air. As long as you pass an aptitude test and a flight physical you can recieve a guaranteed air contract which is what I have. As far as i know this is the only "guarantee" you will have in the military that you will be flying, but keep in mind there really are no guarantees. Just make sure your eyes are perfect and you have no other health issues otherwise you might not be qualified for an air contract.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:249
CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganggreennation View Post
Dillon,
You're best bet to becoming a military pilot is the Marine Corps. I commissioned as a 2nd Lt. this past July after attending OCS during my summers in college. The Marine Corps offers three contracts to candidates attending OCS. Ground, Law, and Air. As long as you pass an aptitude test and a flight physical you can recieve a guaranteed air contract which is what I have. As far as i know this is the only "guarantee" you will have in the military that you will be flying, but keep in mind there really are no guarantees. Just make sure your eyes are perfect and you have no other health issues otherwise you might not be qualified for an air contract.
It's the same for OCS guys in the Navy too. I took the test, submitted my application and was guaranteed a flight school spot. I was under no obligation until I heard back and signed my contract. ROTC and Academy folks pick their warfare area the summer going into their senior year.

Stage 2 is underway by L&M Customs & HHP
Old 09-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I remember making the decisions about the military
Coast Guard had a long waiting list, so that was out
Didn't want to be a ground pounder so that was out

I wanted to be a aviation mechanic, preferably engines, either jet or reciprocating
My math skills were not the best

I ended up working with propellers, but they were on fuses that went into bombs, so i made myself one of the best Aviation Ordnancemen that i could be.
I was sent to every school for my classification on the West Coast for bombs, missiles, rockets, a few other things that i won't mention.
I learned to love the smell of unburnt napalm 24 hours a day

the only thing was, when i got out, no one needed my particular skills

Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 09-27-2011 at 02:01 PM.