DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram Forum Polls!

Notices

Dodge Ram Forum Polls! Get Your Vote On!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Synthetic after Dino Oil in High mileage Engine
Yes ---- switching is fine 27 77.14%
No ----- your asking for trouble 8 22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

To my way of thinking
All of the motor oils have additives for anti wear & anti viscosity break down, as well as a detergent additive
Whether it is Dino or Synthetic motor oil, your engine normally would stay clean & have very little wear, we notice a lip or ridge in the cylinder wall near the top of the piston, it is made by the rings. On a poorly serviced engine its easy to see & FEEL that ridge.
It is not the fault of the oil that that ridge is there, its just poor maintenance, leaving the oil in the engine for extended periods of time, longer than the OIL companies recommended mileage is the fault

I read something today that i thought everyone should know
EXXONMOBILE does not take used dino oil & re-refine or reprocess it, none of the big oil companies do, it would cost too much.
the used oil is sent to outside companies
This alliance will help inform consumers about the importance of used motor oil recycling, as well as the proper way to do it," said Charlie Rau, global environmental advisor, ExxonMobil Lubricants & Specialties. "For instance, used motor oil can take on a whole second 'life' through re-use as a fuel in environmentally sound cement kilns or power plants, thus, conserving natural resources and helping to protect our environment."
http://ir.exxonmobil.com/phoenix.zht...591&highlight=
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

what highlandchef said is dead on.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:19 PM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Lunatic View Post
Looks like you went ahead and did it. I was gonna suggest that you install the proper weight and also do a flush do there is no DINO oil residual left over to mix with the new Synthetic Oil.
Dino oil and synthetic oil start as the same crude oil as it comes out of the ground. Most major oil manufactures market a blend of the two as well, hence castrol SynTec blend. The dont mix the two types myth really needs to get laid to rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASHAWG View Post
Well i went ahead and changed it. Autozone had a sale on 5qt of mobile 1 and a mobile 1 oil filter for 26 bucks. I've gone about 300 miles since the oil change and i haven't seen any problems yet.
Good choice!!! Cant beat the savings on big brand deals

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 09-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Luck View Post
Dino oil and synthetic oil start as the same crude oil as it comes out of the ground.
That is only partially correct. Group III synthetics do start out as mineral oil (dino), group IV and V do not.

Group III synthetics are highly processed (hydro-cracked) mineral oils (dino). They have many of the same characteristics as other synthetics, the major exception being their low temperature flow. They are however much cheaper and have become the most common available synthetic. Most Group III oils will likely have some Group IV and possibly Group V blended in but are primarily Group III. Castrol Syntec is an example.

Group IV oils starts out with ethylene gas that is built up to create the PAO base stock. Amsoil is primarily Group IV with some Group V in the mix.

Group V oils start out as esters derived from plant fatty acids. They are mixed with Group IV oils. RedLine is an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Luck View Post
The dont mix the two types myth really needs to get laid to rest
Agreed to an extent, while changing back and forth between the types is fine making your own blend is not necessarily a good idea. It won't do any harm but you are unlikely to get the best from the mix. If you want to save money, use a commercial blend.

Now IMHO I don't believe the commercial blends are worth the extra price over regular dino oil since the mixture is unknown. So my guess is you may be paying a premium for no gain. I use full synthetic (Amsoil) because I believe it does a better job in my vehicles. YMMV

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:52 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:11
Gene K is on a distinguished road

While I havnt tried it on a light duty gas motor I have tried it on larger engines.

Ive changed a heavy diesel over at 600,000 miles.

1. No leaks
2. Slightly lower oil consumption (From 1 gallon every 17,000 miles to every 20,000 miles).
3. Doubled oil change intervals from 30,000 to 60,000 miles (Based on used oil analysis). Extended that to 100,000 miles with a Spinner II Bypass System.
4. 3% Gain in Fuel Mileage (Also switched from 15W40 to 5W30).

Net savings were approximately $2200 a year.

Any gains in engine life from switch from a Group II Conventional to a Group III or IV Synthetic will be minimal.

A Bypass filter will have more effect on engine life (extending it around 50%) than the oil. The cheapest bypass filter to operate (no disposables) is the cleanable Spinner II (Same as Mann-Hummel). They do make these in smaller sizes that are sized for pickup size engines.