DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 doge ram
Trim Level: tradesman
Color: bright sliver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
hemibenny is on a distinguished road
Default oil level and dipstick

Coming from a 2007 JK wrangler I am well aware that Chrysler has some dipstick reliability issues. With 410 miles on the odometer I checked my oil this evening and it is reading up to the hump that sits above the full mark on the 2 piece dipstick. When I changed the oil in my JK it would read at about the same place on it's dipstick after a lengthy drain and refill with 6 quarts. JK's seemed to have some dipsticks that read safe with 6 and some were over with 6. The manual stated 6 so that is what I put in. I understand that some oil will remain up in the engine, but not enough to make that much of a difference in the dipstick reading after a proper draining.
I was wondering if this is a common issue with the rams dipstick as well or is it possible that the factory just really overfilled my oil. Do you guys get a safe reading after adding 7 quarts or does it vary? I was planning on getting the factory oil out at about 1,000 miles and putting in mobil-1 like I run in everything else but if this is not a common thing with the rams dipstick, well then it will probably be getting changed out a little earlier.
Sponsored links
Old 09-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

Ive honestly never trusted factory dipsticks. Whenever i do my oil changes I put in whatever it says capacity is and check the stick and know they roughtly thats where its supposed to be +/- 1/4". I also fill my oil filters up when i install them too so i know the stick reading is a little more accurate

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 09-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well after changing the oil (7 full quarts as specified) and running around doing errands after the fact, I came home, parked it in the garage and then mowed the lawn. 1 hour later I check the level and it reads a little below where it was reading with the factory fill. Now it sits between the full mark and the hump. I have noted where it is and will know from now on that this is where it is supposed to be when full. With the factory oil hot, it had a good long drain so I know there wasn't much of anything left in the engine when it was sealed back up and re-filled.
The funny thing is that out of all the chrysler products that I have owned over the years, this Ram and the JK are the only vehicles that I have had do this with the dipstick. Even my wifes 2011 avenger reads right at full with it's required 6 quarts after a change. Of course with the 3.6l you check it while the oil is hot and after you shut it off, I had to get used to that one. Gotta love the accuracy of factory dipsticks.
Oh well, things could be worse. I love this truck and it's little quirks. MOPAR ALL THE WAY!

Last edited by hemibenny; 09-12-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:30 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram, Quad Cab
Trim Level: ST with combo packag
Color: white
Rep:136
Dancianne will become famous soon enoughDancianne will become famous soon enough
Default dipstick measure

Right or wrong, I go with the dead-on full mark after sitting overnite in my garage using a firmly seated dipstick.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancianne View Post
Right or wrong, I go with the dead-on full mark after sitting overnite in my garage using a firmly seated dipstick.
Either way I don't believe it would be enough to hurt it. I just know that after a long drain to the point of nothing else coming out that there is not enough left in the engine to make a substantial difference in the reading of the dipstick. I would think that the pans would be stamped more consistantly than these two piece dipsticks are put together. In a way I agree with SS4luck about trusting the dipstick in this situation. They call for 7 quarts so that is what I put in.
I just know that in my JK I did it this way for 4 1/2 years without problems. If I left it at the full mark on my JK, I know I would have been running it low. Of course a jeep with it's occasional off camber situations, you would rather not be running it low. It probably wouldn't make that big of a difference in the Ram unless you had a 4x4 and were offroading in some off camber situations. I think I would rather have all 7 quarts in it. All opinions on this is appreciated though.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:14 AM

Vehicle: 2014 1500 4x4 CC Laramie 392
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White
Rep:24
ramit355 is on a distinguished road

lol...The dip stick on MOPAR is a dip stick!!!! I had 2003 Ram 5.7 Hemi and it held 7.5 quarts to be on the "Full Mark" Before the bend in the stick. The 2011 5.7 Hemi owners manual instraucts 7.0 quarts with Filter and that will read as yousr did which is "Midway Down on Add" So 7.5 Quarts would put it at top of bend in Stick....there is NO 'Full Mark" on this 2011 5.7....lol....so I guess just put 7 quarts in and read it as to what ever it is and remember that would be full as you said...lol..
Old 09-24-2011, 11:49 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:11
Gene K is on a distinguished road

Oil is supposed to be checked hot after a 20 minute drain down although I realize this is seldom done.

1. Fill the engine with 1 quart less than specified.
2. Drive the car until you reach full operating temp.
3. Pull dip stick (this is so you wont have oil in tube and can get a very clean reading).
4. Allow 20 minutes drain down time.
5. Check oil noting level on stick.
6. Scribe stick, this is now your new add mark.
7. Add 1 quart of oii.
8. Allow 20 minutes drain down time.
9. Check oil level noting level on stick.
10. Scribe stick, this is now your new full level mark.

Its always preferred to calibrate the stick to the engine instead of the other way around.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:55 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:11
Gene K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramit355 View Post
lol...The dip stick on MOPAR is a dip stick!!!! I had 2003 Ram 5.7 Hemi and it held 7.5 quarts to be on the "Full Mark" Before the bend in the stick. The 2011 5.7 Hemi owners manual instraucts 7.0 quarts with Filter and that will read as yousr did which is "Midway Down on Add" So 7.5 Quarts would put it at top of bend in Stick....there is NO 'Full Mark" on this 2011 5.7....lol....so I guess just put 7 quarts in and read it as to what ever it is and remember that would be full as you said...lol..
Its possible the stick is marked with maximum and minimum. Maximum is not always ideal. The old DOHC Neon engines had to be run a quart below the full mark to avoid foaming the oil and destroying the bearings in sustained high rpm (track use).
Old 09-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
pall2509 is on a distinguished road

Great info Gene, thanks!
Old 09-24-2011, 03:55 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

i also have a jk unlimited, put in the required amt of oil drive it, let it sit for an hour and check the oil. wherever the oil sits on the stick is what i use to tell if high or low. do the same with truck.