DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Lancer TURBO
Trim Level: ES Sport
Color: Graphite Gray
Rep:10
Serrilion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Serrilion Send a message via MSN to Serrilion Send a message via Yahoo to Serrilion
Default TPS Tune Write Up

Hey Guys,

Read that the 360 can benfit from a TPS aujstment. So I decided to try my luck with my 318 and I got some nice results

1st off Mods done to my truck are...

Stock Engine with Stock Manifold and Cat
No Exhaust passed the cat
TB Mod
A 4500NV 5 speed trans vs my old 3500NV
Truck Used to Idle at 500 RPM's

after the Tune it was quicker in the trottle and now Idle's at 700 which I like much better...

Vid and Pictures of how to due this below.

*( IF YOU TRY THIS I'M NOT AT FAULT FOR YOUR MESS UP)

1st You need the fallowing tools

A Torx bit screw driver
A small wrench or flat head to remove air box bolt
A Electronic Volt reader
Some tape - No necessary but way I did it , it was
Washers 2 small ones

1st Locate the TPS Sensor... Below is a picture of it

2nd Unplug TPS Sensor, and pull back casing.

3rd can be done 2 ways. I stripped the Orange/ Black Wire and Black/ Blue Wire to get a solid read off them.

4th is to attach Multimeter + to the Orange Black and the - to Black/ Blue and plug it back in or insert your multimeter rods into the rubber over the correct wires ... Note I do not have a picture of the rod way, it tends to lose contact and I wanted a solid read as .004 can matter

5th step is turn your key to the ON position and take a read

6th step is with the torx bit loosen up one bolt at a time. I removed one bolt slid a small washer on it and then the other. This will help once you start to rotate the sensor to keep your adjustment as the bolts have worked there way into the sensor. You want to get as close to 1Volt as possible, some trucks seem to like to be higher, i've been told go to 1.5V with them. Again not responsible for your mistake. *Note No picture of washer ect

7th once you have the best reading you can keep. tighten it back up. and then with your fingers open up the Trottle and you should be close as possible to 4 volts.

Now with my small gain of .04 pictured below I was able to get 200rpm's at idle and a quicker Throttle response. Vid and picture below.

Note my truck Normaly idles at 500rpm's when cold or hot
http://youtu.be/3QOP07PpDLI

Sponsored links
Old 09-05-2011, 06:17 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrilion View Post
Hey Guys,

Read that the 360 can benfit from a TPS aujstment. So I decided to try my luck with my 318 and I got some nice results

1st off Mods done to my truck are...

Stock Engine with Stock Manifold and Cat
No Exhaust passed the cat
TB Mod
A 4500NV 5 speed trans vs my old 3500NV
Truck Used to Idle at 500 RPM's

after the Tune it was quicker in the trottle and now Idle's at 700 which I like much better...

Vid and Pictures of how to due this below.

*( IF YOU TRY THIS I'M NOT AT FAULT FOR YOUR MESS UP)

1st You need the fallowing tools

A Torx bit screw driver
A small wrench or flat head to remove air box bolt
A Electronic Volt reader
Some tape - No necessary but way I did it , it was
Washers 2 small ones

1st Locate the TPS Sensor... Below is a picture of it

2nd Unplug TPS Sensor, and pull back casing.

3rd can be done 2 ways. I stripped the Orange/ Black Wire and Black/ Blue Wire to get a solid read off them.

4th is to attach Multimeter + to the Orange Black and the - to Black/ Blue and plug it back in or insert your multimeter rods into the rubber over the correct wires ... Note I do not have a picture of the rod way, it tends to lose contact and I wanted a solid read as .004 can matter

5th step is turn your key to the ON position and take a read

6th step is with the torx bit loosen up one bolt at a time. I removed one bolt slid a small washer on it and then the other. This will help once you start to rotate the sensor to keep your adjustment as the bolts have worked there way into the sensor. You want to get as close to 1Volt as possible, some trucks seem to like to be higher, i've been told go to 1.5V with them. Again not responsible for your mistake. *Note No picture of washer ect

7th once you have the best reading you can keep. tighten it back up. and then with your fingers open up the Trottle and you should be close as possible to 4 volts.

Now with my small gain of .04 pictured below I was able to get 200rpm's at idle and a quicker Throttle response. Vid and picture below.

Note my truck Normaly idles at 500rpm's when cold or hot
http://youtu.be/3QOP07PpDLI
The TPS has two primary uses, one is to aid in transmission shifting knowing when to backdown on the RPM to shift, the second is to know the position of the butterfly plates. Their isn't really much a tune you do, besides if you wanted to help your idle you could have just twisted your distributor a hair. If you were looking for throttle response then keep the TB clean as much as possible, some say porting helps but what you could do is to get a TB riser. Oh and whatever benefits the 360 will do the same for the 318. Hope you know that the 360 and 318 have the same HP it's just the 360 has only 20 lbs more torque. It is a common misconception because their was a certain application of the 360 that was programmed for more HP and Torque. However that application doesn't apply to the Ram's
Old 09-17-2011, 01:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Van B2500 HD 1T
Trim Level: 12-passenger
Color: Military Army dark green
Rep:17
stev is on a distinguished road

If you put a button cap over the stop press-pin on the opposite side of the TB from the TPS, you can get the same thing. It just helps to have the butterfly valves a little opened like a sliver. I tried both and realized that yes, a bit of response, but bad MPG overall. So, it was not worth trying this out.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:34 AM

Vehicle: 1999 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: baja/prerunner
Color: white w/ barbed wire & dents
Rep:192
mr.lopar has a spectacular aura aboutmr.lopar has a spectacular aura about

dude, look what your driving, it gets bad mpg already

did the tps tune on my ram and didnt notice a difference in gas milage, but then again i dont really pay attention, plus im always standin on it
Old 09-17-2011, 09:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Serrilion Send a message via MSN to Serrilion Send a message via Yahoo to Serrilion

bah it was raining a tried to burn some time... EPIC FAIL! and Yea, Gas Milage sucks when the motor is at 4k all day :P

Old 09-17-2011, 11:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 2500 4X4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
canecbr600 is on a distinguished road

Just thought Id lend insight as to what this mod does. As long as u set the closed throttle point between .5, and 1 volt The computer will learn 0% and 100% throttle over time. What you are doing when u change it without resetting the battery is telling the pcm the throttle is 10-17% open, so it adds fuel. Overtime it WILL relearn, and u will be back where u started in the first place. If someone is going to do this, do it n put a obd2 scanner on it and read your TPS. Mine was set at .49, I raised it to .63, and fulle closed tps read 16%. Just a little info for anyone who wants it....
Old 09-21-2011, 12:41 AM

Vehicle: 97 ram 1500 ss/t 5.9
Trim Level: ss/t
Color: sunset burnt orange
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:44
dodgeman2289 is on a distinguished road

like one guy said take the tps off and wrap the stud i alittle electrical tape and u can get a full reading of 1.0 i havent done it .. was thinking bout doing it tom to see if there were any changes from wut i got before when i did this. mine was .78 after i screwed it down. i had a reading of .84 but when i started tighting it went down
Old 09-24-2011, 09:12 PM

Remeber though, after removing the metal pins in such, a 1.0V test mite bring ya trottle up to a 2,000 rpms, then you need to play with the dizzy.. just saying, my write up was boredum and a test to see if the mod worked. Some argue its not a mod others due. I did it, cause I was bored, plain and simple