DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
^ see I'm not crazy people do really post that ^ lol
Well.....I'm not sure I can verify that remark! LOL But can attest to the fact that some of us have received MPG benefits with MDS off.

I track the mileage on my truck some sort of OCD freak. Included with my mileage calculation, I track the number of city vs highway miles, and basic weather conditions. I have discovered that in over 14,000 miles that MDS operation on the highway is as rare as a Pink Ram (yes I saw a Pink Ram....briefly). MDS operation is very common in city driving, and although annoying, I was willing to accept it for the MPG gains. After analyzing my data, I noticed that those benefits didn't seem to be there, so I ran very specific tests to determine the net MPG gain with MDS. I carefully logged the travel conditions for 4 complete tanks of fuel with normal MDS operation, followed by 4 tanks with MDS defeated by shifting into ERS mode. I was very surprised to discover a slight increase in mileage with the MDS off. I did further testing to determine whether or not this was consistent, and it was. When I finally installed my programmer, selecting the MDS disable was a 'no brainer' for me.

Caveat - The only thing 'my' tests proved, was that 'I' received better mileage with the MDS disabled under my driving style and conditions. This is in no way a comprehensive test to determine whether or not these same results will be realized with your truck under your driving style or conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhorn View Post
Help! Only 12 mpg!
So this is my first post here, got my new Hemi ram reg cab
short bed Fire Red W/Black Daytona stripes,391 posi
only options 20" wheels .love the truck! Have yet to get
more than 12.5 mpg mixed 50/50 hiway city. No mater
hard driving or Eco mode! Kills me after reading hundreds
of posts from 4 dr 4 wheel drive owners getting 21 Mpgs
please tell me it's gonna get better! Btw only 650 miles on
it! Hoping it will improve! And ask the dealer on 1,000 mile
service to do the computer Flash!
Thanks guys keep up the cool posts!
It's just a baby....give it some time to grow and learn. They grow up fast, usually about 3,000 miles to adolescence, and 6,000 miles to adulthood.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 09-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Well.....I'm not sure I can verify that remark! LOL But can attest to the fact that some of us have received MPG benefits with MDS off.
you've been talking to my wife haven't you....? lol

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:20 PM

Vehicle: 2014 1500 4x4 CC Laramie 392
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:28
ramit355 is on a distinguished road

Nice Job but I'm confused with your data

If your Ram has a "tank full" @ 23 Gallon to fill Tank it would like this:

4 tanks MDS 4 tanks defeated=8
14000 mile Test range for 8 tanks = 23 gallons x 8 Full tanks=184
14000 miles Divided by 184 gallons=76.08 MPG

Same formula above using an 18 gallon Tank = 97.2 MPG

LoL.....I think its a no brainer to run with MDS off!!!!!

Just saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post

I track the mileage on my truck some sort of OCD freak. Included with my mileage calculation, I track the number of city vs highway miles, and basic weather conditions. I have discovered that in over 14,000 miles that MDS operation on the highway is as rare as a Pink Ram (yes I saw a Pink Ram....briefly). MDS operation is very common in city driving, and although annoying, I was willing to accept it for the MPG gains. After analyzing my data, I noticed that those benefits didn't seem to be there, so I ran very specific tests to determine the net MPG gain with MDS. I carefully logged the travel conditions for 4 complete tanks of fuel with normal MDS operation, followed by 4 tanks with MDS defeated by shifting into ERS mode. I was very surprised to discover a slight increase in mileage with the MDS off. I did further testing to determine whether or not this was consistent, and it was. When I finally installed my programmer, selecting the MDS disable was a 'no brainer' for me.

Caveat - The only thing 'my' tests proved, was that 'I' received better mileage with the MDS disabled under my driving style and conditions. This is in no way a comprehensive test to determine whether or not these same results will be realized with your truck under your driving style or conditions.

It's just a baby....give it some time to grow and learn. They grow up fast, usually about 3,000 miles to adolescence, and 6,000 miles to adulthood.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:13 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
alharm1 is on a distinguished road

I do believe the MDS technology works, just not in my area with a lot of hills. I bet those who live in flatlands really can see a difference.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram 1500 crew cab
Trim Level: big horn sport
Color: white gold
Rep:10
glimmerman is on a distinguished road

With magnaflows on I hate the way it sounds with the ECO on, especially in the city(sounds like the rice burners with the fart can exhaust)..but the MPG difference on the highway is worth it..If I hit the tow button on my truck then it turns the ECO off and shows what gear I am in on my EVIC..1-5...waiting for the tuner to come out for the 2011..I dont drive far to work so i will turn mine off unless I am going on a long trip..
Old 09-26-2011, 01:31 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramit355 View Post
Nice Job but I'm confused with your data

If your Ram has a "tank full" @ 23 Gallon to fill Tank it would like this:

4 tanks MDS 4 tanks defeated=8
14000 mile Test range for 8 tanks = 23 gallons x 8 Full tanks=184
14000 miles Divided by 184 gallons=76.08 MPG

Same formula above using an 18 gallon Tank = 97.2 MPG

LoL.....I think its a no brainer to run with MDS off!!!!!

Just saying
LOL

I've burnt a few more than 8 tanks of fuel....a lot more!
But for control reasons, I based my calculations on 8 tanks where I carefully logged all pertinent information to ensure my test results were not skewed by external factors like tail wind for first 4 and head wind for 2nd 4, or +30deg for first 4 and -30deg for 2nd 4....you get the picture.

My driving style is very consistent....aggressive...respectful, but aggressive. The weather conditions are...well...it's the weather...what can I say. All I wanted to do was ensure that I was making an informed decision on whether or not to disable the MDS permanently.

Since installing the DSP with a 91 tune and upgrading my air filter, I have noted a MPG increase of 2.1 city...all the while driving more aggressive than usual. I then added a MagnaFlo exhaust, and .... well, I like the sound under heavy acceleration.. 2 Tanks since then, and have averaged an additional .6 mpg.

To recap -
Previous MPG (city) - 14.4
Disable MDS
91 tune
K&N filter
MagnaFlo 24"
Drive more aggressive and a lot more WOT
Current mileage (city) - 17.6 (as of today, 38 gal average)

It appears that although I am driving in a less fuel efficient fashion, I have somehow managed to increase my city mileage by 3.2mpg. The bonus - I have some extra HP to play with, it runs better, sounds better and is more enjoyable to drive.

Down side - I have an Oil change appointment tomorrow, so removed the tune tonight so I don't forget. My dealer 'may' connect to it if there is a TSB or RR that's available, and I don't want to take the change and have my tune over-written. It's a minor hassle to have to remember to do this, but the benefits far out weight this inconvenience.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 09-26-2011, 03:01 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Can somebody answer this for me:

I live in Edmonton (Canada) and usually drive with MDS on. I find that "ECO" cycles between on and off quite frequently when doing city driving.
So... is it better to drive in 5th gear all the time? Or what about putting it into "Tow" mode, will that save gas? I have never used Tow Mode in my vehicle.
I'm averaging between 15.6 and 16.9 litres per 100 KM (and, I can honestly say it drives me nuts watching the gas economy go up and down all the time. ugh...)
I have tried driving in 5th gear but only for a short distance (didn't know if it is okay to do so), and I didn't notice a gas savings.

So what should we be doing? Drive in 5th to disable ECO? Drive in TOW MODE to shorten up the shift patterns?
Anyone?? Suggestions?

Thanks.
Dave
Old 09-26-2011, 03:06 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Can somebody answer this for me:

I live in Edmonton (Canada) and usually drive with MDS on. I find that "ECO" cycles between on and off quite frequently when doing city driving.
So... is it better to drive in 5th gear all the time? Or what about putting it into "Tow" mode, will that save gas? I have never used Tow Mode in my vehicle.
I'm averaging between 15.6 and 16.9 litres per 100 KM (and, I can honestly say it drives me nuts watching the gas economy go up and down all the time. ugh...)
I have tried driving in 5th gear but only for a short distance (didn't know if it is okay to do so), and I didn't notice a gas savings.

So what should we be doing? Drive in 5th to disable ECO? Drive in TOW MODE to shorten up the shift patterns?
Anyone?? Suggestions?

Thanks.
Dave
Tow/Haul mode locks out your 2nd overdrive(and also rearranges the gears so that the 2nd prime gear that is normally only used for downshifting becomes available for upshifting). I wouldn't use the T/H mode for what you are trying to do.

If you are driving a lot of city driving, just bump the gear selector down to where the EVIC reads "5". This will allow the transmission to shift through all the gears normally, but disables MDS. You should get slightly better mpg with the MDS off in the city.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:08 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

So no harm to run in 5th?
Old 09-26-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
So no harm to run in 5th?
I think you're misunderstanding what that means. When it says "5" it doesn't mean you are in 5, it means that's the highest gear it will allow it to shift to. For example, if you bumped it down to where it showed "3", it would shift 1, 2, 3, but would not shift into 4th. They call this ERS(electronic range selection I think). So if you put it to "5" it will shift normally, the only difference is that MDS will be disabled.

EDIT: and no this does not harm anything...