DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Crew Cab SLT
Color: Stone White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:23
hemiguy71 is on a distinguished road
Default trying to figure out if my big horn 5.7 has limited slip?

Anyone know how to tell if your rear diff is limited slip, what to change fluid to synthetic and need to know because limited slip needs additive.
Sponsored links
Old 09-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

There are a couple of ways that I know of to check for a LSD. The first one is to jack up the rear end, place the tranny in neutral then spin one of the rear tires. If the wheels spin in opposite directions then you do NOT have a LSD, if they spin in the same direction then you DO have a LSD.

Another method is actually easier, a lot more fun, but also probably not as accurate. (I'm sure that someone will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong here). Find yourself a dirt road somewhere, or even a stretch of non dirt road that has some dirt on it. Make sure that both of your rear tires are securely in the dirt. Stomp the gas pedal to the floor, holding it there for a few seconds. This should cause your rear tires to break loose. After going for a few feet come to a gentle stop, then walk back and inspect the skid marks (or the holes that you may have dug in the dirt). If there is one hole/ skid mark then you do NOT have a LSD, if there are two holes/ skid marks then you probably DO have a LSD.

You could also get a build sheet from your dealer. That should tell you as well.

good luck

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 09-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

by the way, your transmission & rear end already have synthetic fluid in it, from the factory
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Crew Cab SLT
Color: Stone White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:23
hemiguy71 is on a distinguished road
Default oh did not know that.

I have 25,000 miles I figured would change anyway as will be hauling some weight this winter.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram lonestar
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:46
garner is on a distinguished road

Easiest way is to do a burnout. 2 lines, limited slip; one line, no limited slip
Best time: 14.7402 @87.53 on bald goodyear fortera sl 285 45 22 in 2500 DA. Corrected to 14.301 @ 90.28
Old 09-24-2011, 11:49 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:514
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Take your VIN to your dealer and have them look it up.

My 2010 has 3.55 gears, open rear diff and can light up both tires easily for 20'+ ... just sayin'

pic's from last May...

and that's spinning Heavy A$$ 305/50R20 Terra Grapplers on 20's (90lbs ea)

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 09-24-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Richie

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:12
LUBINATOR is on a distinguished road
Default Very Weird

That is highly unusual. Never seen any open rear put power to both wheels like that and leave that long of rubber on road.

I have an old 454 engine in a 1972 chevy pick up with an open rear, suppossedly over 460hp. it will not power both wheels with an open rear diff and leave 2 equal skid marks. Both wheels can only get equal power with Real Posi or Limited Slip in any setup. Unless there is something different with your setup I am not familiar with.

We tried it with both our 2009 5.7 4x4s and both left only one skid mark. the 5.7 with the towing package, and LSD left two skids.

Unusual
RAM 1500 SLT QC 2009 INFERNO RED, ARE Lift Lid ,Spray on Bed Liner, K&N Drop In, Pioneer DEH P8400UB, Alpine Amp, Mopar Kicker sets in all doors and dash, 2 Polk 10" Subs, Polk AMP, SteelCraft Nerf Bars, Mopar Fog Lights, CalTrend Seat Covers, WeatherTech Front Mats, Putco SS Fender Liners, SuperBumper SS Hitch Step/Impact Absorber, Onki Aegis SS Center Guard, PIAA 2100 driving lights
Old 09-26-2011, 11:30 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:184
ORT has a spectacular aura aboutORT has a spectacular aura about

Do the 4th gens have a sticker in the glovebox that tells you? The sticken in my 3rd gen says right on it 3.92 with the LSD.
Sidewinder Cam/Edge Converter/Pacesetter LT's/SCT&SC Stack/Hemifever Tune/BFI #32/20% UD Pulley/Fastman TB/Triple Pillar/1 TonCooler/Sonnax/E-Cutout/Venom Hood/SRT Bumper/Roll Pan/HID's/Aeroforce Wideband/E-Fan/Hellwig/2" Drop/170 Stat/D&S Rotors/Remote Start/Hella 500's/5% Tint/Black Everything
Old 09-27-2011, 09:23 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:514
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBINATOR View Post
That is highly unusual. Never seen any open rear put power to both wheels like that and leave that long of rubber on road.

I have an old 454 engine in a 1972 chevy pick up with an open rear, suppossedly over 460hp. it will not power both wheels with an open rear diff and leave 2 equal skid marks. Both wheels can only get equal power with Real Posi or Limited Slip in any setup. Unless there is something different with your setup I am not familiar with.

We tried it with both our 2009 5.7 4x4s and both left only one skid mark. the 5.7 with the towing package, and LSD left two skids.

Unusual
Even in an open diff,
Power to Both wheels is Equal "if" traction on both tires is equal.
I'll admit it takes more power than stock and a setting on my Diablo Trinity to disable traction control (ESP)
are certainly factors in getting a decent dual wheel peel out of an open diff. It certainly doesnt do it all the time
But proving that it is possible pokes holes in the theory that only an LSD can pull it off for the purpose of identifying a LSD.

Cant really do a decent full donut with the factory ESP giving you a buzz kill half way through a 360º. Works great with Diablo disable though (open or LSD)

A better road test for an open diff is: right rear tire in the dirt/gravel on the shoulder of the road and the left rear tire (drivers side) on clean dry pavement,
Punch it and only the tire in the dirt will spin, and there will be no black mark on the pavement at the left side tire

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 09-27-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Sport
Rep:10
cheesenr7 is on a distinguished road

Correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure if you jack the truck up and put it in netural and spin the tires if you have a lsd one tire spins one way the other tire spins the other way. on and open rear end the other tire will barley move, then on a true posi or locker both tires will spin equally in the same direction.