DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport Super Crew
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
zebraunit is on a distinguished road

I too have the same problem. I notice it the most when I'm in 4 or 5 gear and mainly between 40-60 mph... It can be heard at higher speeds also. While in those gears normal pressure on the gas pedal will produce the noise. I took it to the dodge dealership here in Vegas and he could hear the noise also. As a matter of fact he pointed it out before I said anything to him. He doesn't believe it's an engine issue and believes that it has to do with the transmission possibly the torque converter. I only have 1000 miles on the truck and he wants me to put 1500 on it to see if it works itself out. If it stays then they want to bring it in. I think I'll go 2000 that way I can show I gave it a fair shot... This is quite annoying! Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this BS
Old 05-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:33
doug713 is on a distinguished road

I still have that issue after 13000 miles, so it doesn't "work" itself out.. I called the dealership today to ask about any new updates and still nothing. I thought my problem was solved when they did the K36 recall on the rear end last month but it was just wishful thinking.
Has anyone had this and had it fixed in the 2011, 1500?? I know Rob has in his 2500 had it fixed by replacing the torque converter, but was curious if anyone in a 1500 has? I keep hoping that superchips or diablo hurry and get their shit together and bring out a programer for the 2011's as I feel this vould possibly fix the issue by adjusting the shift points in the tranny...
Let me/us know if anyone has ANY input on this. thanks.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:37 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 CrewCab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:72
sincebeen will become famous soon enough

WOW!!

Sorry guys, I never noticed this thread before. The humming you're hearing is the rear differential bearings. If you're still under warranty, take it to the dealer and tell them the rear differential bearings are bad. My '10 is at the dealer as we speak getting new ones. I guess the last owner just dealt with it.

This is the THIRD truck I've owned with this issue, the first was an '04 F-150 that I had to have them replaced the same week I bought it (used), and the second was my Sunburst Orange '09 Ram that started to hum a couple of months after brand new. New bearings fixed both of 'em

Anyways, did I mention rear diff bearings...

the light bulb will go over your head next time your driving
Old 09-28-2011, 08:32 AM

Vehicle: 2011 1500 & 2006 2500
Trim Level: Express &ThunderRoad
Color: Flame Red & White
Rep:15
2011lilred is on a distinguished road

My 2011 Express has the same issue. The first thing I thought of was rear gear noise since it sounds just like my 2003 did after I switched to aftermarket 4.10 gears. Aftermarket gears are notorious for this. My installer went through 3 different sets of gears trying to quiet it down and it was still noticable - we gave up and accepted it. I'm hoping it is the gears and it gets worse, then if they have to change them under warranty I will ask if they will upgrade me to 4.10s and let me simply pay the difference.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:48 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 CrewCab
Color: Brilliant Black Pearlcoat
Rep:72
sincebeen will become famous soon enough

Just got her back from the dealer, instead of replacing just the bearings, they replaced the whole ring and pinion gear set. Immediately had to go on a two hour road trip and everything is back to normal.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: BLUE
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
11ramsltupcott is on a distinguished road

Confirmed it is the rear bearings. Best way to tell is if you are hearing it around a turn it would be on the opposite side......I have to wait till I get to Ontario so they can rip into it as its a couple hour job and parts are a week away with me driving in 4 days not logistically possible till I get home.....Hope those bearings last 5000km......

2011 Ram 1500 3.92 gears 13000km
Old 12-31-2011, 08:54 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Forest Green
Rep:15
nicslaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyds View Post
The engine does make a slightly different noise when the ECO is on, especially if it's working hard but not hard enought to switch out of eco. However, this noise is different and I think it is normal. The humming noise that I don't like happens at the speeds I mentioned previously, when I'm excelerating moderately, ECO on or off. I'm betting it's engine or tranny related since it happens when i'm excellerating at thsoe speeds and stops when I left off the gass or get over about 55-60 mph. Then engine is at lower RPM's at the time of the noise so maybe it's a vibration caused by the engine slightly bogging at those particular speeds. At my next oil change, I will ask the dealer to check it out and I will let you know what he says. Please let me know what your dealer/tech says when you take your truck in again. Thanks
I had the same noise at first. I couldn't always get it to produce for the techs when I took it to the shop, nor could I really pinpoint where it was coming from. I suspected it was the TC, but the local tech refused to acknowledge the wisdom of our fair site... it didn't really seem to affect the performance, but was truly annoying.
I took the truck on a 2400 mile round trip home (to where I purchased the vehicle) and about half way there, the noise became very noticeable and loud to the point where even my wife complained (finally someone else heard it).. Took it to the local dealer at my destination and suggested they look at the star case number for the TC replacement. He agreed and performed the swap. I haven't heard the noise since and it shifts smoother now too, but I think they also did a flash for the shift points. I too have the 32 gallon tank and am always looking for that ghost vehicle from the rear at stops... just my $.02

Last edited by nicslaw; 12-31-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: express
Color: gray
flipstoyz is on a distinguished road

I have a 2011 Express with same issue that everyone is talking about. Intermittent drone , growling type noise. I believe this is a torque converter issue that happens right after lock up, more noticeable at lower, steady speeds. Road noise with a combination of engine noise at higher speeds tend to mask this noise. I've grown to get use to it and just turn up the radio. I honestly believe this is nature of the beast. Replacment converters that fix this issueI believe have a totally different stall level, sacrificing acceleration.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Color: White
R.Wilcox is on a distinguished road

Just resently purchased a NEW 2012 RAM 1500 SPORT. Quickly discovered that it makes a slight whining, or humming sound when trying to maintain speed anywhere from 20-60km/h. Doesn't seem to be consistant with any type of shifting, mostly acceleration!!...can have the pedal pressed down 1/4 of an inch, and the noise will occur, and as soon as i let off, it will instantly stop. This humming remains when trying to hold speed at say 40km/h, and even sometimes remains when letting off gas and truck is downshifting. BUT when on highway trying to hold 100km/h, it doesnt occur. The kicker of all this is that i have test drove 2 other RAM's of the same year and model, and they both seem to do the same thing!!...the dealership had no answers for me, but personally think they didnt even look into the matter, as they claimed they couldnt duplicate the noise. its pretty hard to miss, and is annoying as hell, as i can hear it over both the heater and radio at certian points. If anyone has any insight on this, or knows what it could possibly be, the help would be greathy appreciated.

Tks, ryan.