DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all
Default reg vs midgrade gas

i know this has been beat to death, manual recomends mid grade, but accepts regular. i have found no difference between the two. also in jersey, all grades havethe ethanol s***t. i am told ethanol burns cleaner, is this why my truck can't tell the between the two? any mechanics or engineers out here that can explain if i should step back up to midgrade or keep using reg. tks all.
Sponsored links
Old 09-28-2011, 01:59 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I'm not sure there is any truth to ethanol burning "cleaner", but I believe it does have a much higher octane rating than regular fuel. It also has less energy/volume than regular fuel, that's why you get worse mpg with it.

Some people can get away with 87 octane, but most find the truck runs/performs better and gets slightly better mpg with 89 octane. If you don't hear any knocking, your fine (and you probably have a knock sensor that will retard timing anyway....but this would be the reason for less performance/mpg).

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:15 PM

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 SPORT
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:21
ArmyRXP is on a distinguished road

That is so true, all depends on where you get your gas from. For me in upstate NY close to Canada we have a choice of Sunoco, Mobil, Stewarts, and HESS. For me I run Sunoco in my Sea Doo ski's Ultra 94. In my wifes new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/hemi we run 89 in it. Dealer told the wife to run 87 in the truck w/hemi. I have heard guys on the Jeep forum board that are getting 2-3 mpg better with 87 but all depends on where they live. We took a trip down I-81 to I-64 to I-77 then back to DC then up 83 to 81 and home. Hills to beat the band and going 73-75 in the Jeep we still averaged 20 mpg and that is full time 4wheel drive. Can only hope the truck gets the same or close on the higway with a conver on the bed. If I'm close that will be a plus but hell didnt buy it really thinking MPG anyway I needed a truck for hunting and hauling stuff.

I say it all depends on who you buy yoru gas from. If you go with Mobil or Sunoco or Shell all good gas companies youshould be fine either way. If you have only access to others then run a tank of them then the others and figure out who gives you the better gas milage. Me personaly I hate HESS gas has too much water and additives.

Gary
Old 09-28-2011, 02:22 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
I have heard guys on the Jeep forum board that are getting 2-3 mpg better with 87
This doesn't make sense. Some vehicles (hemi) MAY get better mpg with the 89 octane, but NO VEHICLE will get better mpg with a lower octane. A higher octane will give you the same mpg or maybe better depending on timing advance and compression ratio mainly.

Also, where I live (Orlando)....and I assume everywhere operates similar to this....all fuel comes from the same place....for me it's the central florida pipeline, and each company drops X volumes of their "special" additives in the truck, and drives off.....basically all fuel is the same, and in my opinion all these additives are all the same as lucas fuel injector cleaner or similar....I've run my truck on shell, hess, sunoco....etc for higher prices, and at the cheapest place called "gas town" that doesn't even have a credit card machine on the pump, and my truck runs the same(proven at the drag strip)...I run 93 octane always with the 93 SC tune...but I also use my own additives....I run seafoam about every 50k miles and marvel mystery oil every X tankfuls (maybe 4-8 tankfuls). I like to think the seafoam keeps the fuel system/injectors clean, and the MMO lubricates the pump and the rest of the fuel system (newer fuels have very few lubracants as compared to older fuels).... who knows, the seafoam and MMO may do nothing lol.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Quad cab
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:11
Red paint is on a distinguished road

The nations Guru on this is Ed Wallace. His site is called Inside Automotive . First ethanol burns dirty. Robs you of performance, Cost you money, runes any thing not built to burn it. Like my 1976 boat with old Chrysler 318. Fule tank, lines ect, look for gas to be sold by the gallon in cans coming soon. It's that bad for your lawn mowers ect. Your truck is designed to run on 87 and You should use it. The proof.. No gas company will advertise that there premium gas will get even 1 mpg better than regular gas. Because it won't. And they have been sued enough over it.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:07 PM

Higher octane does not get better mpg, I don't know where people came up with this. Octane rating is simply a detonation resistance rating. Higher octane rating means more resistance to detonation(e.i. higher octane burns slower than lower octane). Vehicles with higher compression ratios and more timing advance are more prone to detonation...(high performance vehicles/engines)

And the hemi is usually ok to run on 87, but 89 is recommended in the manual.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2004
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Blue with Racing Stripe
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
lifeofchaos13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red paint View Post
The nations Guru on this is Ed Wallace. His site is called Inside Automotive . First ethanol burns dirty. Robs you of performance, Cost you money, runes any thing not built to burn it. Like my 1976 boat with old Chrysler 318. Fule tank, lines ect, look for gas to be sold by the gallon in cans coming soon. It's that bad for your lawn mowers ect. Your truck is designed to run on 87 and You should use it. The proof.. No gas company will advertise that there premium gas will get even 1 mpg better than regular gas. Because it won't. And they have been sued enough over it.

Thanks for the info... Makes sense
Old 09-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 CC Sport 4x2
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
shepcam is on a distinguished road

I run 110 octane airplane fuel,,, boy it really makes the HEMi fly!!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:27 PM

LOL, that's funny!

For any engine, you should use the lowest octane/cheapest fuel you can without causing detonation/knocking and/or poor performance/mpg. Anything more is a waste of money.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:36 PM
erm

My truck refused to run on 87, grumbled at me about using 89 and really shines when I run 92. It hates ethanol and the winter blend we get here.

After doing the intake, exhaust and tuner; and using 92 octane, my highway mileage is +4 MPG. I can't attribute that to just one of those mods or just the fuel alone. I think it all just works better together.