DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - SIGS - Special Interest Groups > Military

Notices

Military Special Interest Group for members of all branches of the military, active duty or retired. - Click the badge to the right to request membership>>

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:1338
GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

Thanks for the input guys! Still doing some research, but if I were to go to school to fly I would be looking at $40,000+ of flight fees!!! Looks like military will be my best bet if I decide to stay will aviation.

I have a very strong feeling I will be joining. Now just need to figure out how to break it to my mom. She is terrified of the thought of me flying. She grew up around planes. Her brother, my uncle, was killed in a plane crash as he was practicing for an upcoming airshow. She has witnessed countless crashes at airshows or while working on airstrips. She may not be too happy lol
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:249
CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about

ROTC scholarship or BDCP (Bachlor Degree Completion Program) are 2 great programs that will pay for college. Good luck with the research.

Stage 2 is underway
Old 09-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Section VIII is on a distinguished road

Dillon,

You don't need to join to be a pilot. Especially in the USAF. I have been an enlisted Airman for 17+ years now and know of several enlisted personnel who have received their private pilot's license and one of them is going for his commercial. Right now, you can have the government help pay for your pilot's license.

If you REALLY want to be around aircraft and not be a "ground pounder", you can sign up as a loadmaster or flying crew chief and be almost guaranteed to fly as often as you like (especially given the current worldwide events). Loadmasters and flying crew chiefs are currently in great demand. Great monetary benefits as well as experiences going to all kinds of different countries/customs/cultures.

All the comments above are geared towards AMC (Air Mobility Command). The pilots who fly heavies have a easier time transitioning to commercial aircraft (i.e., airliners).

The last thing I'll say is that if you do join (whatever branch), make sure you understand that you CAN/WILL be deployed. You may be shot at. You may be bombed. You may be away from your family for extended periods of time (1 year+). You WILL be expected to kill the enemy. You WILL be held to a higher standard. You WILL have certain limitations on what you can say or do. You WILL have to listen to and obey those who have authority over you (i.e., your immediate supervisor all the way up to the Commander-in-Chief--a.k.a. The President of the United States). You may die. Join because you want to serve the country first...yourself last.

Last edited by Section VIII; 09-28-2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-28-2011, 07:50 PM

GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section VIII View Post
Dillon,

You don't need to join to be a pilot. Especially in the USAF. I have been an enlisted Airman for 17+ years now and know of several enlisted personnel who have received their private pilot's license and one of them is going for his commercial. Right now, you can have the government help pay for your pilot's license.

If you REALLY want to be around aircraft and not be a "ground pounder", you can sign up as a loadmaster or flying crew chief and be almost guaranteed to fly as often as you like (especially given the current worldwide events). Loadmasters and flying crew chiefs are currently in great demand. Great monetary benefits as well as experiences going to all kinds of different countries/customs/cultures.

All the comments above are geared towards AMC (Air Mobility Command). The pilots who fly heavies have a easier time transitioning to commercial aircraft (i.e., airliners).

The last thing I'll say is that if you do join (whatever branch), make sure you understand that you CAN/WILL be deployed. You may be shot at. You may be bombed. You may be away from your family for extended periods of time (1 year+). You WILL be expected to kill the enemy. You WILL be held to a higher standard. You WILL have certain limitations on what you can say or do. You WILL have to listen to and obey those who have authority over you (i.e., your immediate supervisor all the way up to the Commander-in-Chief--a.k.a. The President of the United States). You may die. Join because you want to serve the country first...yourself last.
I understand that, that is why I threw in the fact that I always looked up to soldiers when I was little and always wanted to be one. The only reason I am asking y'all about all of this is because I want to benefit my life after I finish my time serving my country. If I didn't care about what kind of job after I would just join up doing whatever and probably do infantry in the army. BUT I want to fly as a career and it seems like the military will be the best choice for me.
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

FYI. My first assignment was Barksdale AFB, LA.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section VIII View Post
FYI. My first assignment was Barksdale AFB, LA.
Nice, that's a pretty good ways from me. Bossier City I believe?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Yup. BUFFs. Amazing they still fly.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:43 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4X4
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Rep:110
RAMTX will become famous soon enoughRAMTX will become famous soon enough

I am the enlisted aircrew member (ARMY), I work with APACHE HELICOPTERS, 15Y. I've seen lots friends who enter as enlisted and put a package to be helicopter pilot (Warrant Officer). I don't think is an easy task to be approved for flight school but isn't impossible either. To be a Warrant Officer you don't need any college, but need a high score on the ASVAB test.
I enjoy my time around helicopters but never thought about flight them, but u can enter as an officer but you going to need college, talk with a recruiter about it.
Join the Army was the best thing I have done in my life. I just finished my Bachelors Degree last July, and the Army paid for it.
You can't go wrong joying the Army or Air Force.

Last edited by RAMTX; 09-30-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Rep:17
BrownNinja55 is on a distinguished road

like Secition VIII was saying, you dont need to be a pilot to start flying. i've been an avionics tech in the AF for almost 11 years and a bunch of my friends have got their pilots license as enlisted. they have aero clubs on pretty much every base and ground school is paid for. quite a few of them are now getting commisioned to be pilots. and if for some reason you dont get an active slot as a pilot down the road, you can cross over to guard or reserve. had a friend do that too and is flying F-16's now. i think working on the jets while youre getting your qualifications really help out full learn everything you can about aviation. and i suggest looking to be a fighter pilot...i got a ride in an F-15 and DAMN!!! all rollercoasters are ruined now. lol
Old 10-05-2011, 12:08 AM

Vehicle: 2011 SLT CC 4x4
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:24
SeattlePete is on a distinguished road

Former Navy air intercept controller here- I think you're making a great decision that you'll look back on with pride. My son is currently deployed aboard the Stennis- 3rd generation military.

I remember fondly our conversation in high school- and the advice I gave him is the same I pass on to you:

"Hate it or love it, you can't buy the memories you create during a military career."

My advice- become a real pilot and learn to land on a moving postage stamp called a carrier!