DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-28-2010, 12:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:13
bcjjones is on a distinguished road

No sir, no real reason im going with shorties instead of longtubes. Now that you bring it up though, will the shorties bolt right up or will the existing exhaust pipe have to be lengthened to reach them? Something i wasn't thinking about right off hand. Other then that, is there any performance difference in longtubes vs. shorties? I've done a valve job on it very recently and the bolts came right out of the headers, and used lock tight on them when reinstalled so shouldnt be a problem. Thanks for looking out though!

Gunna order them if they bolt right up, if not i found some longtubes for about the same price, made of the same stainless steel.

Also gunna order a ported 50mm throttle body off ebay for only 100 bucks. Just a remanufactured ported out stocker, polished up real nice with the air horns removed and tapered. Also comes with a new gasket and bolts. Real good reviews and look professionally done. It's for a non-egr engine, which im pretty sure my 96 1500 5.2 is?

If anyone wants the link let me know. Thanks for all the help fellas
Old 12-02-2010, 05:24 AM

Vehicle: 1998 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: deep amythest and silver mist
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
984wdram is on a distinguished road

hmm. i might have to look into that. think theyll help on a 5.2 with ported tb, cai, no cat, and single in/out with a turndown? not much resistance as far as my truck breathing is concerned.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Slt
Color: Red
samuel is on a distinguished road

I have elderbrock ti coat shorty headers and they are great they really make a difference with the flowmaster exhaust, kn intake.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 dodge ram 1500 sport 4x4
Color: black
bfinley is on a distinguished road

they have a website speed-daddy.com they say they are made with stainless im deff goin to get a set
Old 12-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Slt
Color: Red
samuel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjjones View Post
No sir, no real reason im going with shorties instead of longtubes. Now that you bring it up though, will the shorties bolt right up or will the existing exhaust pipe have to be lengthened to reach them? Something i wasn't thinking about right off hand. Other then that, is there any performance difference in longtubes vs. shorties? I've done a valve job on it very recently and the bolts came right out of the headers, and used lock tight on them when reinstalled so shouldnt be a problem. Thanks for looking out though!

Gunna order them if they bolt right up, if not i found some longtubes for about the same price, made of the same stainless steel.

Also gunna order a ported 50mm throttle body off ebay for only 100 bucks. Just a remanufactured ported out stocker, polished up real nice with the air horns removed and tapered. Also comes with a new gasket and bolts. Real good reviews and look professionally done. It's for a non-egr engine, which im pretty sure my 96 1500 5.2 is?

If anyone wants the link let me know. Thanks for all the help fellas
he shortys due bolt right up, easy install, i think the one on the driver side might take a little longer b/c of the make up of the header, swivel extension needed
T
Old 02-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: 1500
Color: Blue
Rep:22
Mopar or No Car is on a distinguished road

Hey all, a warning about ebay headers!

I've used ebay headers on one of my honda's from back in the day, and they are USUALLY junk! They corrode super fast once they start baking, no matter how clean they are upon installation.

A good, quality polished header bakes in BEAUTIFUL shades of gold, blue, purple and green. Ebay headers ALWAYS seem to bake in nasty, burnt looking colors.

They tend to crack and warp.

I for one HIGHLY recommend buying quality name headers, such as Flowtech, Gibson, or Hooker.

Ebay DOES have some decent deals on certain parts, but when it comes to headers, well, that's one thing I won't buy from an Ebay company.

Last edited by Mopar or No Car; 02-04-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 09-26-2011, 05:59 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: black
Rep:15
jmopar20 is on a distinguished road

i bought some stainless headers on ebay here recently, paid about 120 for them shipped, they are pretty thick (14 gauge) and look awesome now that they've been run for a little bit (have that gold and purple look that Mopar or No Car was talking about) and seem to have been a great buy.....HOWEVER.....whatever you do, do NOT use the cheap bolts that come with headers like this!! do yourself a favor and go down to the local Fastenal or Grainger store and buy some stainless or grade 8 or 9 bolts to use!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Forest Green
kasman is on a distinguished road

I found mine on ebay paid 130.00 including shipping.They were actually from Summitt Racing and were made from good quality SS.I bought a SS downtube/highflow cat setup from them as well and built a custom SS single exhaust with dual chrome turnouts.Sounds and looks awsome!