DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011
Trim Level: Sport/Custom
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:32
Harleys BigRam is on a distinguished road
Default Help kill the drone!

Well my final project last week on the truck (after painting headlights and painting interior) was to get my exhaust done. I have a friend that has a shop here in Houston so I was able to "test" out a 2.5" true dual set up with a Magnaflow X pipe and our stock resonators left in place. I have to say that I was in love with it BUT then I got on the freeway. The drone on the freeway is pretty loud in the cab and not something I would be able to handle forever. The truck sounds like an absolute beast when starting up and cruising around town. Around town the noise inside is okay and not bad at all while cruising around at 40-50. Get to cruise at 75 and it's a whole different story!

So, after reading and listening to everything I could find here and on the net it seems there are a lot of people talking about either their thoughts or beliefs of what may happen and not facts. I went with true dual because I have had great success with two other vehicles picking up gains in both HP and TQ when applying an X pipe to the set up. The X also helps eliminate some of the rasp and keeps the sound nice and deep as well. The only time I've heard anything that sounds a little raspy is when I floor it from a dig and when it reaches about 5k rpm. Seems that it is a little more responsive and I may have picked up a slight amount of mpg but I'm only on my second tank and the first one had my foot in it a lot.

I'm wondering if anyone here has a real experience with this on our trucks and if you were able to kill the drone and with what muffler? I have an option of going with my buddy’s single chamber mufflers that are only about 12 inches long. These are called “airflow” and sound good on a few other vehicles that I’ve heard but I’m hoping to find someone with an actual Hemi and with true duals so I know for sure before having to do a bunch of more tests. Even with two of those I'm worried the drone will still be there. I've thought of going with an 18' Magnaflow DI/DO but wanted to know if there is someone that has actually done this and what experience you had. Are you out there? Please no “I’ve heard" or "my uncle Tommy's ex wife's bother's son had one" rumors. [IMG]http://www.**************/forums/images/smilies/huh.gif[/IMG] I've read all of that already and would hate to start another thread will all of that.

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

So you have a dual setup with a X, but no mufflers right? I know that the best way to kill the drone is to disable MDS by running in 5 instead of drive! I would look into 2 mufflers, one for each side after the x and before the resonators
Old 09-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916Timmy View Post
So you have a dual setup with a X, but no mufflers right? I know that the best way to kill the drone is to disable MDS by running in 5 instead of drive! I would look into 2 mufflers, one for each side after the x and before the resonators
Correct. Yeah, I'm thinking of trying the two single mufflers first and if thay doesn't do it then I know the 18" Magnaflow will do the trick. I still would like it like it is just minus the drone inside on the freeway.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:11 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

I only saw one truck with a dual in dual out setup on here....everyone seems to be happy with the Y pipe upgrade and a Magnaflow or something else.

I have a Mag Y and an 18" in mine and it runs great!

http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=71908
Old 09-21-2011, 12:54 AM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

Just find bullets to run as close to the tips as you can. I had the same problem with drone/rasp on my camaro when i put true duals on them and I ran THESE and it took right care of the problem. They arent chambered so there is no restrictions, and keep it deep and mean sounding around town and just freaking scream up top. Plus they are cheap as far as mufflers/bullets go. You put those as close to the tips as you can and it will kill most of your drone and rasp

Post some pictures of under the truck! I wanna see your setup

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 09-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew 4x2
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Clifton is on a distinguished road

I went with the DynoMax VT Muffler to eliminate the drone. Check them out. They have a pressure valve in them that opens straight through when at WOT, but on the Highway at cruising speeds, the valve closes and kills all the drone.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well I went back and had them order me a DI/DO 14" Magnaflow that will be installed next week. The two mufflers they installed killed a lot of the drone but there is still too much for my taste. They are two single chamber mufflers with no baffling in them at all. They also killed a lot of that nasty but beautiful sound that I had before the mufflers went on a with just the X in place. The new muffler is going to be perfect I think...it has the built in X and some baffling to help eliminate the drone. I will report back and let you know how it turns out.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:57 PM
erm

You need some longer mufflers. Do you still have resonators? If not, I like what SS4Luck suggested above.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:15 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

I have the y and magna flow on mine and i have 0 drone