DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-30-2011, 11:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^ I believe that's true....but basically if you're on the freeway at normal speeds, and the ECO is on, then MDS is probably on...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:17 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpearldodge View Post
Brad:

One more thing; nice truck. Really nice colour!
Thank You. I think I'll change to 'your' colour with my next Ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortmunder View Post
From what I've read the ECO mode does not really have anything to do with MDS.

Seems like a lot of people think that because "ECO" is displayed then the trucks MDS is active, or whatever.

From what I understand it's just there to show you that you're "driving in a fuel economically correct way". You'll notice if it's in ECO mode and you give it just a little bit too much gas, it will drop it, let off a little and it will show again.

Basically as long as you aren't accelerating too fast it will show ECO. Or if your foot is off the gas altogether.

I could be wrong, but that's what I gathered from reading the manual and looking around online
Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
^ I believe that's true....but basically if you're on the freeway at normal speeds, and the ECO is on, then MDS is probably on...
That is true. ECO does 'NOT' mean MDS. ECO only means that you are satisfying the computer's algorithm for 'Driving in a fuel efficient fashion'.

MDS on the other hand, requires the engine to be operating at very low load. When you drop 1/2 the cylinders, you have less then 1/2 the power, so the remaining cylinders require a lot more fuel to 'carry the load'. Theoretically, the added fuel is less then double that required (per active cylinder) in 8 cyl mode.....theoretically....

If the load on the engine is low enough to enter MDS mode, it has already satisfied ECO mode, so the light is already on.

In a nutshell -
You can have ECO without MDS, but not the other way. Before you can satisfy the MDS requirement, you have to have already satisfied the ECO requirement....it's not as strict.

Prior to getting my tuner (by which I have disabled MDS), I often noticed the ECO light when driving on the highway, but very, very seldom, did it ever go into MDS mode, and when it did, it was very short lived.

For some, MDS has proven to increase fuel mileage....that is not the scenario I witnessed with my truck....with my driving style.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 10-01-2011, 02:53 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:11
Gene K is on a distinguished road

Its hard to say if the fuel mileage difference is because of the MDS or the different gearing.

When you show "5" you are in Overdrive 1 (0.75) Gear and can not access top gear. When you are in auto you can access Overdrive 2 (0.67).
Old 10-01-2011, 03:46 AM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

Okay, I must apologize to you guys. Ive been doing all my sub 45mph in 5 instead of auto and my mpg has increased slightly. Like maybe 1 full mile, but that's enough. I noticed in MDS the instant mpg "hunts" a little more and in 5 it just stays solid

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 10-01-2011, 04:48 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Regular Cab 4x4
Color: Maximum Steel
Rep:122
BigH0ss will become famous soon enoughBigH0ss will become famous soon enough

Wow after reading all that I'm even more confused! Lmao. So how do u know ur running 4 cylinders? I am at 16.4 right now on a 20 mile trip half freeway half city. Sound right? Once I get up to speed "eco" comes on and then I drive in a manor to keep it on lol sometimes it feels like it bogs if I give it a little gas.

Flowmaster 50 series HD muffler, Magnaflow y pipe, Resonator delete, Plasti dipped wheels, Plasti dipped RAM emblems, De-badged side emblems, Tinted windows, Receiver hitch, Shorty antenna, Mopar badge, Bed liner... That's only the beginning. Still to come, Wheels and tires, Lift and more...
Old 10-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 Sport Quad Cab
Color: Grey
Rep:31
Dortmunder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH0ss View Post
Wow after reading all that I'm even more confused! Lmao. So how do u know ur running 4 cylinders? I am at 16.4 right now on a 20 mile trip half freeway half city. Sound right? Once I get up to speed "eco" comes on and then I drive in a manor to keep it on lol sometimes it feels like it bogs if I give it a little gas.
I've found no way to tell if MDS is on.

People have said they can feel it when it drops into MDS, but I've never felt that.

Then again I haven't really done any long driving in my truck yet, almost all to/from work, which is only about 10-15 km in the city.

I would assume it only activates at a certain speed and after it has been steady for a set amount of time. Basically highway driving.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Just some guy in Canada

brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

I always notice when MDS kicks in, but I've owned so many questionable vehicles in my past, that I have grown very sensitive to the 'feel' of the vehicle when I'm driving. It is not something that is 'in your face' noticeable.....but rather very subtle. I have also noticed it most often in city driving, as for the most part little engine power is required after you have reached cruising speed so the conditions are idea for MDS operation.

When in MDS mode, a slight increase in throttle will usually feel like a mild shutter, and a heavy press of the throttle will be followed by a noticeable lag or bog as it changes from MDS mode back to 8 cyl mode. Once you tune your senses to feel it, it is very distinctive.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 10-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 Sport Quad Cab
Color: Grey
Rep:31
Dortmunder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
I always notice when MDS kicks in, but I've owned so many questionable vehicles in my past, that I have grown very sensitive to the 'feel' of the vehicle when I'm driving. It is not something that is 'in your face' noticeable.....but rather very subtle. I have also noticed it most often in city driving, as for the most part little engine power is required after you have reached cruising speed so the conditions are idea for MDS operation.

When in MDS mode, a slight increase in throttle will usually feel like a mild shutter, and a heavy press of the throttle will be followed by a noticeable lag or bog as it changes from MDS mode back to 8 cyl mode. Once you tune your senses to feel it, it is very distinctive.
Ah, yeah I've felt something like that. But only after I had my CAI put on. I thought it might just be the engine getting used to it or whatever. I heard about unplugging the negative battery connector, but thought that might wipe the EVIC so didn't bother
Old 10-01-2011, 07:17 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crewcab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman 4x4
Color: Deep cherry red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
Second Life is on a distinguished road

If ECO and MDS isn't the same thing... How come when you're on ERS you will never see the ECO light up?
Old 10-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Life View Post
If ECO and MDS isn't the same thing... How come when you're on ERS you will never see the ECO light up?
The same holds true in Tow/Haul. The algorithm does not consider Tow/Haul or ERS mod as an acceptable criteria. IMO, that's a programming booboo. Not everyone is using ERS in a non-economical fashion, and Tow/Haul does not mean Guzzle and Waste. It also appears that the MDS mode uses the existence of the ECO light as part of it's criteria. I call this 'lazy programming'. Why write truly valid code if you can simply test for the existence of something else that you 'believe' is an acceptable criteria source.

The good side - if you don't have a programmer, at least you have a couple of different ways of turning the MDS off.