DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-03-2011, 12:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 CrewCab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:72
sincebeen will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=BlackRamHemi;616022]WOW!!!

Great idea on the Home Depot "foam" tube insulation. The Volant DOES NOT fit flush with the fender intake on my 2010 so I would have to create a bridge and I think the insulation will do the trick. I used clear packing tape - because of it's adhesive integrity - to block the bottom hole that exists for the ram air attachment.

But there's a good chance I won't stay with the Volant. I definitely lost some low end power with it (Here's my proof: with the stock box and K&N drop in I could chirp the tires when punching it from a 30 MPH roll. With the Volant, I lost that capability). I think I gained some highway speed passing power and the sound is awesome.. really sounds like some muscle under the hood during WOT.

What I'm looking for is 0-60 performance... I drive on the street, so I couldn't care less about track times. What this means to me, is that if I'm losing low end with the Volant, it's time to try something else.

Other than sound, I'm not too impressed with the Volant. I would like to give the Airaid a shot (because it has a bigger, and what appears to be a less restrictive filter) before I make the decision to return to the stock box (with a modified "unribbed" air duct).

I do have 2 Caveats: 1. I did not disconnect the battery during installation, so the battery was not reset. But I have driven about 60 miles after the install so there has been plenty of time for the computer to adjust. and 2. I still have the stock exhaust (until my FM Super 44 arrives on Tuesday) so I have not matched the "inhale" with a good "exhale" yet.

The bottom line is that the stock box is more "fully enclosed" than is the Volant design out of the box... even after blocking the accessory hole.

Last edited by sincebeen; 10-03-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:28 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:539
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincebeen View Post

What I'm looking for is 0-60 performance... I drive on the street, so I couldn't care less about track times. What this means to me, is that if I'm losing low end with the Volant, it's time to try something else.
So you dont think making a faster truck at the track will translate to faster truck on the street? why?
Every performance mod (except the DR's) I've made that gets me a faster 60' on the track, also gets me a faster 0-60 on the street.

My 0-60:
5.3 seconds on 295/45R17 DR's,
6.0 on my heavy 305/50R20Grapplers

Both translated from track slips 1/8 mile results racing both sets of tires using this calculator...

http://www.wallaceracing.com/0-60_equation.php

...also I made a 1/4 mile pass with no filter at all and it was within 1 tenth of a second with the Volant Powercore filter in.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 10-03-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
So you dont think making a faster truck at the track will translate to faster truck on the street? why?
Because the fastest 0-60 is not necessarily the fastest 1/4 Mile.. and you know that....

which makes this irrelevant:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
...also I made a 1/4 mile pass with no filter at all and it was within 1 tenth of a second with the Volant Powercore filter in.
I'm talkin for me, for my application. What I said is if a mod gets me better performance in the high end of the band, but loses low end... I'm not satisfied.

You do have some impressive times.

Cheers,
Old 10-03-2011, 05:03 PM

Did you do any 0-60 with the Airaid vs. Volant, all other mods being equal?
Old 10-03-2011, 06:01 PM

BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

IMHO, There is no significant difference between the Airiad filter, Volant's Powercore filter or running absolutely no filter at all.

If one overall CAI design is superior,
my vote goes to the Volant for several reasons:

1) alignment of the tube to the filter box
2) alignment of the filter box to the fender port
3) alignment of the feed end of the filter element to the fender opening
4) the additional bottom port to feed a ram air from an additional tube/scoop
5) 100% sealed top, not using the hood for a "partial" lid
6) 100,000 mile dry filter element that does not require cleaning and recharge several times a year.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincebeen View Post
Because the fastest 0-60 is not necessarily the fastest 1/4 Mile.. and you know that....

Do you realize there's more info on a time slip than just a 1/4 mile ET ?
All my recent mods were made to get a better launch, and bring my 60' times down from 2.2's to 1.8's ....not the top end of the track.

Here's a couple recent slips from a few runs on my 305/50R20 Terra Grapplers

My truck runs a 14.5 quarter on my Heavy Ass Grappler's, but still gets a pretty good 2.060 sec 60 foot, and 9.2 sec 8th mile and will still run right around 6 seconds 0-60 on the street.
That's pretty decent for a 5300 pound 4x4 with 90pounds of tire/wheel on each corner.

Its' still the same truck/intake I use to get a high 13 Q/M on DR's.
The filter alone doesn't make or break a track truck or a street truck,
and those that sweat the details are not looking at the bigger picture ...
a CAI is only a "supporting mod". and unless you can actually use the extra air, it doesn't really matter. stick with stock

You cant make a heavy 8 second 0-60 truck run 2 or 3 seconds faster with a CAI,
You need lower gears and a higher stall torque converter (on top of intake,exhaust,tune)
The cold hard truth (pardon the pun) is a CAI adds less than 5 HP on a basically stock Ram,
despite what some manufacturers like to claim. Don't let your butt dyno fool you, get a track slip
...even if you just do it for the 60' or 330' or 1/8th mile numbers that are more related to "street" performance.

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 10-03-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:14 PM

You make a good - and knowledgeable - case no doubt.

But it doesn't change anything for me. I felt a loss.

The good news is I got my muffler on the other day and I'm gonna borrow my cousins Bully Dog to run some no $h!t 0-60 times with all variations of Superchips Cortex, Bully Dog, Volant CAI, and Stock box w/ K&N drop-in. He's got a Magnaflow Glass pack on his '09 Crew so we're gonna test his with everything too. I'd like to get my hands on an AFE Stage II to throw in the mix but we'll see.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:46 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:45
ram71351 is on a distinguished road

^^^^^^^^^
Old 10-08-2011, 04:44 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

a faster truck on the track always makes it faster on the street...the fast guys try to get their 60 ft's down which always means really fast 0-60's, o yea...when you do these tests, reset the pcm and drive it like you stole it...the pcm learns these characteristics and adjusts the tables accordingly...drive like a grandma, and your truck will perform like one... If i remember to do so I reset my pcm a few days before i go to track and drive like a maniac so the pcm adjusts accordingly...
Old 10-14-2011, 02:31 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Laramie cc rambox
Color: brillant black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
facehugger is on a distinguished road

the semi-forced induction is really cool!

I'm thinking of asking a friend of mine which is plumbing an heating installer to melt some curves and tubes matching together, this might be the trick to get a perfect smooth air flow in it.

really great idea BRH !
Recon smoked headlights, taillights & 3rd brake light - tribal Grille insert - grille blacked out - Gibson catback split exhaust system - oval premium side steps - spray in bedliner - Diablosport Trinity 93 oct tune - air deflector chrome style - Volant CAI - carbon dash kit - interior LED replacements - Arrington 90mm tb - Bakflip