DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default do i need another flash?

So I bought my 2011 Ram 1500 Sport about a month ago and it was a demo with some miles on it. I noticed the upshift issue which felt like when you kick it down on the highway it goes to first, then second where it slips out of second and then revs up and kicks into 3rd or 4th... I talked to the dealer and they did the TSB flash of the computer. Plus they mentioned it had something to do with a speedometer sensor in the computer. Everything worked good for a few weeks, now today its back again.....I am super peeved, and I dont want to be afraid to kick it down on the highway!!!!!!

Any ideas other than the TSB????
Old 09-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT - Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
illadvised is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbovsix View Post
It is. I have a good relationship with the service folks at my dealership, and they said for whatever reason, they can't perform the flash update if my VIN isn't part of the TSB. I think I'll call Chrysler next week and see if I can get the issue escalated. This failure to downshift/shudder is downright dangerous at times. Problem is, I can't really duplicate it reliably.
I know your post was almost 3 months ago... but do you have any updates on this?? I am having the same exact issues.

I think maybe if enough of us 2010 owners bring it to their attention, something may come of it.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:32 PM

Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default flashed again

So I took my truck in for the second time with the same shift issue. The first repair was done by simply flashing the computer. I had my friend who is a mechanic actually take the service manager out for a drive to show him the issue. My friend is confident that the problem is a 3rd gear module in the transmission. The service people dealt with the Dodge Repair Call Center and determined that they would not do a transmission repair, as I expect that they are following a scripted service procedure. I am completely surprised as I believe both my mechanic and their mechanic agreed that there is something wrong with my truck. They replaced the tranmission filter and replaced the transmission fluid indicating that they were "not happy" with the viscosity, and they flashed the computer again. I am also convinced that they changed the shifting parameters as the truck seems to be "sluggish"....I am rapidly getting disheartened...
Old 09-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT - Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
illadvised is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guanobucks View Post
So I took my truck in for the second time with the same shift issue. The first repair was done by simply flashing the computer. I had my friend who is a mechanic actually take the service manager out for a drive to show him the issue. My friend is confident that the problem is a 3rd gear module in the transmission. The service people dealt with the Dodge Repair Call Center and determined that they would not do a transmission repair, as I expect that they are following a scripted service procedure. I am completely surprised as I believe both my mechanic and their mechanic agreed that there is something wrong with my truck. They replaced the tranmission filter and replaced the transmission fluid indicating that they were "not happy" with the viscosity, and they flashed the computer again. I am also convinced that they changed the shifting parameters as the truck seems to be "sluggish"....I am rapidly getting disheartened...
have you seen this thread?
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=84348

also, not sure if this is allowed or not but I came across this when I searched the new torque converter part number...
http://***************/showthread.php?t=25172

in case the link gets pulled

"Customer indicates that the vehicle has a slight moan, drone, buzz or rattle noise from the exhaust that occurs under light load (1400 – 1700 engine RPM) and vehicle speed between 60-100 km/h (40 - 60 mph). This noise is very rpm/torque sensitive and only occurs in lockup (partial or full).

When confronted by this customer complaint, advise the service technician to confirm that the noise only occurs while the torque converter is in lock-up at low speeds (around 1400 – 1700 engine RPM) at approximately 70 km/h (45 mph). If the noise is heard while the transmission is in lock-up at 1400 – 1700 RPM, put the vehicle into ERS - Tow/Haul mode (deactivates MDS). If the noise is unchanged, perform the following Repair Procedure. If the noise goes away in ERS mode, further diagnosis is required.

Please keep in mind that it’s normal for the sound to change when in MDS mode. Compare to a similar vehicle if necessary to determine if the concern is a normal characteristic. If the noise occurs above 1700 RPM or below 1400 RPM, further diagnosis is required.

Parts Required:

AR (1) RL051146AB Kit, torque Converter (fits 2009 4.7L WK/XK/, 2009 5.7L DS/DC/DH/D1/HB/HG/WK/XK, 2010 5.7L DS/DD/DJ/WK/XK, 2011 5.7L DS/DD/DJ/D2 Only)

AR (1) RL051241AB Kit, torque Converter (fits 2008 4.7L 2WD ND/HB/HG/DR/WK/XK, 4.7L 4WD WK/XK, 5.7L 2WD/4WD DR/HB/HG/WK/XK, 2009 4.7L 2WD ND/HB/HG/DS, 2010 4.7L 2WD ND/DS, 2011 4.7L 2WD DS/ND, 2011
5.7L 2WD/4WD WD/WK Only)

Repair Procedure:

Replace the torque converter. Follow the procedures identified in DealerCONNECT > TechCONNECT >Service Information > 21 – Transmission and Transfer Case > Automatic – 545RFE>TORQUE CONVERTER > Removal/Installation for proper procedures. "
Old 10-03-2011, 04:36 PM

Default noise not issue

My issue is not a noise issue, it is really in the transmission.

"So I bought my 2011 Ram 1500 Sport about a month ago and it was a demo with some miles on it. I noticed the upshift issue which felt like when you kick it down on the highway it goes to first, then second where it slips out of second and then revs up and kicks into 3rd or 4th... I talked to the dealer and they did the TSB flash of the computer. Plus they mentioned it had something to do with a speedometer sensor in the computer. Everything worked good for a few weeks, now today its back again.....I am super peeved, and I dont want to be afraid to kick it down on the highway!!!!!!"

The computer has been flashed twice, and it takes a while after the flash for it to work like it did before flash. It is now back to normal but while on the highway this weekend, the gear slipped out again while I went to pass a vehicle. I was doing about 80km/hr and I pulled out to pass. When I pressed throttle, it downshifted into second gear, reved up and shifted to 3rd, at which point it kicks out of 3rd into neutral, then the revs rocket up and the transmission goes into 5th (safety mode) leaving me without adequate power... This is the third time I am bringing the new truck in to the service center with the same issue. My frustration level is getting much higher.