DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-02-2009, 12:06 AM
brianlewis60

Default A/c help!!!!!!!!!!!

Today my pregnant wife is driving along and all of a sudden the a/c stops blowing out of the vents. I can't figure out where the air is going, the blower motor is blowing hard but the air is not getting out of the vents, or the floor, or the defroster. The knob on the dash has no effect on the air flow direction, I.E. you can turn it to defrost and nothing and on floor no change, it almost seems that that switch is bad. there is a VERY weak air flow coming out of the vents but here in Texas in June and July it gets hot and my wife is VERY pregnant. Has anyone had this happen to them, and what can I do to fix it?
Sponsored links
Old 06-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram SLT
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:21
TheAverageJoe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheAverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to TheAverageJoe Send a message via Skype™ to TheAverageJoe

This is something similar to my problem. My air flow direction will change as I direct on the control panel, but the air seems to just barely spill out of the vents. I have a 2006 Ram 1500.
My uncle has a 2003 and has had the same problems. He took it to the dealer under warranty and had it fixed. Two months later, he was back in the same situation, only out of warranty.
This is definitely something under the dashboard that needs correcting.
I would suggest taking it to one of your better grade of independent mechanics to have this done. Chances are, they'll use an after market part that will last longer, or they'll know a better way of installing the part to make the fix last.
I've found that dealership mechanics treat your vehicle like a jigsaw puzzle..."If this piece is bad, take it out and put another in just like it. If it doesn't work, not my fault". They put the piece in the same way they take it out, not concerning themselves with the fact that there may be an engineering flaw or the quality of replacement part may be in question.

Good Luck to you and when you get it fixed, please report back your findings.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '06 Ram Quad Cab HEMI
Trim Level: SLT
Color: FLAME RED
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:23
Sparky is on a distinguished road

Brian what year truck is it? It sounds like a vacuum pod or something. I had the same thing happen in a old truck of mine and I just wanted it to work. So I found the bad pod and I open the flat that it controlled and taped it open. It always blew air but that is what I wanted.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram SLT
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:21
TheAverageJoe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheAverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to TheAverageJoe Send a message via Skype™ to TheAverageJoe

Try these threads:

http://www.************************/d...s-t170393.html

http://www.*****************/forum/3r...placement.html

Then if it persists, go here:

http://getdieselpower.com/my04dodge_...frostdoor.html

Read through the threads thoroughly. There is added extra tricks and bonuses that can be picked up after the initial info is given.

Good Luck to you.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1989-1993 360ci (5.9L) Cummins diesel I6 160hp 400lb/ft
Rep:10
Russ Bellinis is on a distinguished road

A problem I used to find regularly on tour buss air conditioning before I retired is very simple to fix and might be your problem. Air conditioning systems are not designed for refrigeration. They are not expected to reach a cold enough temperature to cause ice formation on the evaporator, but sometimes in humid conditions with the temperature set at it's coldest setting, it will form ice on the evaporator. If the a/c continues to run at that cold setting, the ice formation gets worse and worse so that it will block the airflow. As the airflow is blocked, the problem gets worse. It could eventually result in a liquid slug to the compressor that would destroy the compressor. Shut the a/c off, turn on the heater full high temp with the fan set on low speed. After 5 minutes or even less, turn the a/c back on. If it the cold air flow is restored, your problem is ice, just set the temperature switch up a little bit warmer so the compressor will cut off before the evap gets cold enough to form ice.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
jpk5930 is on a distinguished road

Dodges are notorious for the poor workmanship of the various blend/mode doors. Made from plastic at points that should be metal, they often break. My recirc door failed and blocked all air from blowing out of the vents. The youtube video and kit from heatertreater.net fixed me up. Now my only problem is the a/c compressor clutch not engaging....