DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8


Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #71  
Old 10-02-2011, 04:27 AM
RadioFlyer's Avatar
RadioFlyer RadioFlyer is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 60
Posts: 946
Gender: Male
Rep Power: 6
Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough
Default

I wish the best for you but I think you're going to have to fly cut those pistons to make this cam work. You're going to need minimum of about a tenth of an inch (I think) clearance so you better make damn sure they check it.

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 10-02-2011 at 04:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 10-08-2011, 12:42 PM
diablo202407 diablo202407 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: fort worth, tx
Posts: 3
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: st
Color: white
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
diablo202407 is on a distinguished road
Default

this is killing me i want to do this but i have to wait until the first of the year(taxes). Good luck man
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 10-11-2011, 01:26 AM
sprintertech's Avatar
sprintertech sprintertech is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NEW ORLEANS,LA.
Age: 41
Posts: 402
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 RAM
Trim Level: BIG HORN
Color: AUSTIN TAN
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:16
sprintertech is on a distinguished road
Default

just a heads up guys....im still here but i have been so busy lately i havent had a minute for play time.....i recently spoke with an engine guy at chrysler....managed to get one of the instructors to email them for me....either way he couldnt give me an absolute answer that it would/wouldnt have interference but stated that he would speculate that it would have a clearance issue because the 6.4 pistons are notched....so im ordering a back up plan cam because once i get that far into im not backing up.....ive also been trying to see whats the best time i can get out of it with the cooler air coming....ive seen one guy claim a best of 14.18 with a predator only.....my best so far has been a 14.3 on a 85deg day......soon as i got more info ill post it up...thx!
__________________
CMR TUNED(tweeked),K&N DROP IN, MODDED AIR BOX, NITROUS EXPRESS 150 SHOT, ARH 1 7/8 LONG TUBES NO CATS, BORLA XR-1, PRO TORQUE 2800 STALL, 4.56 GEARS, MOPAR LSD, ADJUSTABLE REAR LOWER CONTROL ARMS RELOCATED UNDER AXLE, GREDDY CATCH CAN, STICK PEOPLE IN REAR WINDOW......12.97@108...SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 10-11-2011, 03:53 AM
RadioFlyer's Avatar
RadioFlyer RadioFlyer is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 60
Posts: 946
Gender: Male
Rep Power: 6
Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintertech View Post
just a heads up guys....im still here but i have been so busy lately i havent had a minute for play time.....i recently spoke with an engine guy at chrysler....managed to get one of the instructors to email them for me....either way he couldnt give me an absolute answer that it would/wouldnt have interference but stated that he would speculate that it would have a clearance issue because the 6.4 pistons are notched....so im ordering a back up plan cam because once i get that far into im not backing up.....ive also been trying to see whats the best time i can get out of it with the cooler air coming....ive seen one guy claim a best of 14.18 with a predator only.....my best so far has been a 14.3 on a 85deg day......soon as i got more info ill post it up...thx!
Did you not tell SH what you were borowing their shop for and what they were going to be tuning? I'm suprized that they didn't inform you with all the tunes they've been through. I didn't want to be the one to ruin the excitement not to mention I was hoping you guys had some sort of trick up your sleeves. Both the 392 crate and 426 use the same cam and they both have valve releifs cut into them with about .100" clearance on the ex and about .080" on the int. That's not to bad really, but Mopar doesn't recomend using it with flat tops anyway. Sorry to hear the disappointment, hope you find the right numbers cam.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 10-11-2011, 04:12 AM
sprintertech's Avatar
sprintertech sprintertech is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NEW ORLEANS,LA.
Age: 41
Posts: 402
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 RAM
Trim Level: BIG HORN
Color: AUSTIN TAN
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:16
sprintertech is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
Did you not tell SH what you were borowing their shop for and what they were going to be tuning? I'm suprized that they didn't inform you with all the tunes they've been through. I didn't want to be the one to ruin the excitement not to mention I was hoping you guys had some sort of trick up your sleeves. Both the 392 crate and 426 use the same cam and they both have valve releifs cut into them with about .100" clearance on the ex and about .080" on the int. That's not to bad really, but Mopar doesn't recomend using it with flat tops anyway. Sorry to hear the disappointment, hope you find the right numbers cam.
The new 5.7 and 6.4 share no parts with the older 5.7/6.1 or the stroker motors like the crate 392 or 426 you mention........
__________________
CMR TUNED(tweeked),K&N DROP IN, MODDED AIR BOX, NITROUS EXPRESS 150 SHOT, ARH 1 7/8 LONG TUBES NO CATS, BORLA XR-1, PRO TORQUE 2800 STALL, 4.56 GEARS, MOPAR LSD, ADJUSTABLE REAR LOWER CONTROL ARMS RELOCATED UNDER AXLE, GREDDY CATCH CAN, STICK PEOPLE IN REAR WINDOW......12.97@108...SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 10-11-2011, 08:33 AM
RadioFlyer's Avatar
RadioFlyer RadioFlyer is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 60
Posts: 946
Gender: Male
Rep Power: 6
Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintertech View Post
The new 5.7 and 6.4 share no parts with the older 5.7/6.1 or the stroker motors like the crate 392 or 426 you mention........
I'm not trying to sarcastic but I don't understand your point. First off I never said the 5.7 shared anything with any year engine not that they do or don't. And I know the differences between the Apache 6.1 and the Eagle 6.1 builds. The cams in the 392 crate and 426 have the same or very close cam specs with the SRT8 392. I know the 426 crate is a non vvt engine but it has the same cam specs. Neither one will work with any factory 5.7 because there is no extreme duty 5.7 build with valve releifs or forged components in any vehicle manufactured from Chrysler. That's the whole point of this topic right...cam specs and clearances. Both crate specs are 584in/554ex lift and 279in/285ex dur. I know darn well the SRT8 392 cam specs are very close to these. I was just trying to share my opinion in this topic without offending anyone. I don't understand why SH couldn't tell you from jump about this especially knowing what they were going to be tuning so I stayed out of it till the last min. If you think the cam will work go for it, I was just trying to help.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 10-11-2011, 12:40 PM
sprintertech's Avatar
sprintertech sprintertech is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NEW ORLEANS,LA.
Age: 41
Posts: 402
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 RAM
Trim Level: BIG HORN
Color: AUSTIN TAN
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:16
sprintertech is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
I'm not trying to sarcastic but I don't understand your point. First off I never said the 5.7 shared anything with any year engine not that they do or don't. And I know the differences between the Apache 6.1 and the Eagle 6.1 builds. The cams in the 392 crate and 426 have the same or very close cam specs with the SRT8 392. I know the 426 crate is a non vvt engine but it has the same cam specs. Neither one will work with any factory 5.7 because there is no extreme duty 5.7 build with valve releifs or forged components in any vehicle manufactured from Chrysler. That's the whole point of this topic right...cam specs and clearances. Both crate specs are 584in/554ex lift and 279in/285ex dur. I know darn well the SRT8 392 cam specs are very close to these. I was just trying to share my opinion in this topic without offending anyone. I don't understand why SH couldn't tell you from jump about this especially knowing what they were going to be tuning so I stayed out of it till the last min. If you think the cam will work go for it, I was just trying to help.
calm down buddy....no one is upset here.....but to set things straight....the new 5.7 and 6.4 (no more 6.1) are the same block and the 6.4 cam has .577 and .537 lift at the valve and 286/288 deg total duration....i appreciate your input and also believe there will be clearance issues since their is an obvious reason the 6.4 has reliefs cut into the pistons....also i was just pointing out that the crate engine is a stroker which begins life as a 6.1 (old) hemi and not the new design therefore not a comparable.....as for SHR let me clear that up also....they are not doing the build and will only be handling the tuning so please do not let any of my errors or choices reflect on them...they have offered no advice on this matter one way or the other.....i am friends with the owner and the guys in the shop and will say that they do excellent work so when this thing goes boom i will be the only one to blame.....lol....i on the other hand work for dodge.....but feel free to input next time if you see any reason the direction im going is a disaster....thx
__________________
CMR TUNED(tweeked),K&N DROP IN, MODDED AIR BOX, NITROUS EXPRESS 150 SHOT, ARH 1 7/8 LONG TUBES NO CATS, BORLA XR-1, PRO TORQUE 2800 STALL, 4.56 GEARS, MOPAR LSD, ADJUSTABLE REAR LOWER CONTROL ARMS RELOCATED UNDER AXLE, GREDDY CATCH CAN, STICK PEOPLE IN REAR WINDOW......12.97@108...SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 10-11-2011, 07:39 PM
RadioFlyer's Avatar
RadioFlyer RadioFlyer is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 60
Posts: 946
Gender: Male
Rep Power: 6
Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintertech View Post
calm down buddy....no one is upset here.....but to set things straight....the new 5.7 and 6.4 (no more 6.1) are the same block and the 6.4 cam has .577 and .537 lift at the valve and 286/288 deg total duration....i appreciate your input and also believe there will be clearance issues since their is an obvious reason the 6.4 has reliefs cut into the pistons....also i was just pointing out that the crate engine is a stroker which begins life as a 6.1 (old) hemi and not the new design therefore not a comparable.....as for SHR let me clear that up also....they are not doing the build and will only be handling the tuning so please do not let any of my errors or choices reflect on them...they have offered no advice on this matter one way or the other.....i am friends with the owner and the guys in the shop and will say that they do excellent work so when this thing goes boom i will be the only one to blame.....lol....i on the other hand work for dodge.....but feel free to input next time if you see any reason the direction im going is a disaster....thx
Lol, I'm not now and I wasn't upset then, frustrated...yes. I understand you a little more clearly now let me try and be a little more clear, lol! I'm sure everyone (at least I think they do, lol!) in this forum know the SRT8 392 bore and stroke...I know I do. So I thought you were refering to the new 6.1 Apache heads and the old 6.1 Eagle heads (when you say new) because Chrysler never built a 392 vehicle with the 6.1 block. So that is the only difference between the crate and the stroker besides the SRT8 392 Apache heads but they all need the same clearances and the same valve releifs. My point was, no matter what engine whether is was a crate 392/426 motor or the STR8 392, they all need the same clearances. I'm not good at getting my point across in writing but I'm not the slightest bit angry, we're good brother! edit: BTW, I'm talking about the 392/426 alu Mopar only and not Arrington, PWR or anyone elses with multiple cam spec options. I can only imagine the BS I'll hear from someone else (not you) about this, lol!

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 10-11-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 10-11-2011, 08:24 PM
sprintertech's Avatar
sprintertech sprintertech is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NEW ORLEANS,LA.
Age: 41
Posts: 402
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 RAM
Trim Level: BIG HORN
Color: AUSTIN TAN
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:16
sprintertech is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
Lol, I'm not now and I wasn't upset then, frustrated...yes. I understand you a little more clearly now let me try and be a little more clear, lol! I'm sure everyone (at least I think they do, lol!) in this forum know the SRT8 392 bore and stroke...I know I do. So I thought you were refering to the new 6.1 Apache heads and the old 6.1 Eagle heads (when you say new) because Chrysler never built a 392 vehicle with the 6.1 block. So that is the only difference between the crate and the stroker besides the SRT8 392 Apache heads but they all need the same clearances and the same valve releifs. My point was, no matter what engine whether is was a crate 392/426 motor or the STR8 392, they all need the same clearances. I'm not good at getting my point across in writing but I'm not the slightest bit angry, we're good brother! edit: BTW, I'm talking about the 392/426 alu Mopar only and not Arrington, PWR or anyone elses with multiple cam spec options. I can only imagine the BS I'll hear from someone else (not you) about this, lol!
lol

new 5.7 and 6.4 share the same block but different heads...

the old 6.1 could become a 392,426, and even a 440 (plus alot of other similar combos depending on bore size)

no crate engine that i know of are created from the new 5.7 or 6.4....

agreed? lol jfwy
__________________
CMR TUNED(tweeked),K&N DROP IN, MODDED AIR BOX, NITROUS EXPRESS 150 SHOT, ARH 1 7/8 LONG TUBES NO CATS, BORLA XR-1, PRO TORQUE 2800 STALL, 4.56 GEARS, MOPAR LSD, ADJUSTABLE REAR LOWER CONTROL ARMS RELOCATED UNDER AXLE, GREDDY CATCH CAN, STICK PEOPLE IN REAR WINDOW......12.97@108...SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 10-12-2011, 01:36 AM
RadioFlyer's Avatar
RadioFlyer RadioFlyer is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 60
Posts: 946
Gender: Male
Rep Power: 6
Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintertech View Post
lol

new 5.7 and 6.4 share the same block but different heads...agreed? lol jfwy
Lol, we're half way there. Yes I agree with you 100%, but you're leaving out the most important part...stock 5.7 internals vs 6.4 forged internals with flycut pistons and reason for this conversation...plz don't hit me, lol! The only thing stopping you is the vavle releifs, not saying the bottom end will stay together but not saying it'll come appart either. I'd be willing to try it myself if I could get past the vavle releifs. With that combo and good vavletrain you'd have a bada$$ motor...prolly give a 392 a run for the money. Your shorter stroke would pull the 392 out the hole and the dur would give you the extra midrange ump. Whether it catches you or not depends on who has the better gear/converter combo for each. Anyway, I think we're on the same page now and I'm sure you'll work it out. You need to find a shop in your area that does gen 111 hemi builds. Maybe they can come up with an alterative to keep that cam. Have you tried Shreve Automotive in Kenner, they're not far from SH? I don't know if they're still in business but they use to be one of the best builders out there. I had some machine work done for a few builds there but no telling what's up with them these days. By all means don't give up, keep us posted and good luck.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to cam swap hemi moparmike07 Dodge Ram Knowledge Base 5 04-11-2013 11:17 PM
Arrington cam write up...4th Gen CHVYKLR Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 17 10-23-2011 01:21 PM
Front CAM Finally Installed. RansRAM Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video 38 09-27-2011 09:55 PM
new cam for mega cab? ohmega07 Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 2 02-23-2011 12:30 PM
Custom Cam heavyfoot33 Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 10 05-22-2010 04:01 PM


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum