DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 ram sport crewcab rambox
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:346
crusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the rough
Default catch can vs pcv

Hi

Ive been a member of this forum for about 2 years but this is my first time posting

I have a 2009 ram sport crew cab with ram box, up to now i have a predator on it, i have receive my 24 mufflex and knn CAI this morning but not yet install

My question is probally simple for most of you

I would like to install a catch can wich will collect overflow oil from pcv

Is it possible to just put a plug instead of the valve

sorry for this dumb question but i was wondering

Pascal
Old 10-11-2011, 09:38 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I'm not sure what you mean by just put a plug instead of a valve....

If you mean just plug the valve cover instead of having a pcv valve then no you can't do this it will cause leaks/blown seals and gaskets in your engine from the pressure buildup.

If you mean that when you install the catch can, can you just use an open fitting in place of the pcv valve, you could, although it may not directly fit properly, and there's no reason to do this. The valve will help keep the oil in the engine, and the pressure out, if there's no valve you may get more oil going to the catch can... The pcv valve is very inexpensive, and usually only needs replaced around every 100k miles or so. I like to take mine off every 50k miles and soak it in dawn dish soap/water to break down the oil/grease to clean it up to try to keep it from sticking. At 100k miles, for the few bucks to replace it it's cheap security to keep pressure out of your engine.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:27 AM

crusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the help

I did mean a plug direct in the valve cover
because a few years back i believe if i remember right that i saw a plug that look like a very mini air filter for the valve cover for mustang and others cars so i was wondering if that would do the job
Old 10-11-2011, 10:33 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Thanks for the help

I did mean a plug direct in the valve cover
because a few years back i believe if i remember right that i saw a plug that look like a very mini air filter for the valve cover for mustang and others cars so i was wondering if that would do the job
Well everybody has an opinion....many people do use those mini filters, and say they don't have any issues. I personally don't use them(have tried them in the past). When I used them I ended up with a rear main crank seal oil leak each time only a few hundred miles later... Whatever you do, don't literally "plug" it up, at least have a filter for it to breath out of. I would suggest doing the catch can, but the mini filters work for other people, they basically do the same job, I just don't think they breathe enough, I feel they are too restrictive and hold too much pressure in... Also, the stock pcv setup will breather better than the mini filters, but won't keep the engine clean.

Stock pcv setup_________breathes well, dirty intake
Mini filters______________clean intake, breathes ok(debatable)
Catch can______________breathes well and keeps intake clean *winner*

Old 10-11-2011, 10:45 AM

your right

at the price of the truck i will go safe

i'll be shopping for a catch can today ...

thank's again for the info and help
Old 10-11-2011, 10:49 AM

No problem. I think there's a brand that has some scratch and dent one's for sell, I think the name is bully dog, or something like that. It's about $100 for everything. They are similar to the Billet Technology ones, I've also found some others through google and ebay that are nice and about $90-$100.

Post back once you do the install.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:630
moparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to all

yes it's from 3gcustomz.com however they do not have a brakcet made for the rams yet, this is where i mounted mine with a brakcet i made and it was $90 shipped to the door, had one little dent next to where the valve screws in.

Proudly Sponsored by Bully's Performance